+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation First Antenatal Appointment

I've got my first antenatal appointment with my midwife coming up and I was wondering what the procedure for this was... What exactly do they do at the first appointment ???

I have no idea about anything as this is my first bub!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yeah they give you the first bounty bag and make you pee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first antenatal appointment took about an hour and a half. They checked everything. They talked about everything. Previous medical history ect. If your due for a pap smear then they might do one other then that everything they do is pretty fun. Depends how far you are but they will probably try to listen to bubs heart beat.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Leesha how exciting for you!! Well the first appointment is usually a bit longer then the rest of the appointments as they usually take quite a few notes down regarding your medica history and that sort of thing. they will probably ask you about what immunisations you have had and also ask when was the last time you had a pap smear. If you havent had one in a while, they might decide to do one. if you dont need a pap they probably will not do an internal examination. It is not routine anymore Yay!
    Apart from that they will check your blood pressure, double check your dates with you, and possibly use the doppler to try to hear bubs heart beat. They will also ask you if you have any questions, so make sure you go prepared with anything you want to ask (I take a notebook to every appointment so that I dont forget questions)
    If you have not yet had an ultrasound, they may be able to set up a date for that for you as well. It is probably worth you asking about the ultrasound which is usually done between 18 and 20 weeks (you can also have an earlier one done in order to work out your due dates etc)
    And ... you get your Bounty bag!! ... I am still waiting for mine...but theoretically you should get one!
    Hope this helps! Enjoy your first appointment!!

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first one last month.

They chatted to me about family health history, your health, how your feeling, previous relationships (they do like a psych test to see if you are mental capable) and give you general information to cover all aspects such as breast feeding, sleeping, diet, excercise etc.

They also take a urine sample, blood pressure and just a general check up.

They then make your next appointment and update your new file and give you a hospital card and a gift bag (bounty bag) with more info and samples.

They even chatted with DH for a while to get his feelings and background also.

It's nothing to worry about and really is exciting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whats a bounty bag? I never got one!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine yesterday!

The lady asked me lots of questions... checked mental health, medical history etc etc and then just gave me a HUGE pile of paper work to read on being in water for the birth, labour, pain relief and eating right.

She checked my blood pressure, weighed me, took my height and then handed me the Bounty Bag and I was on my way...

I think I was there maybe half an hour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Ask the midwife if you can get a bounty bag if you have not yet! It has magazines, info, samples etc in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Leesha

I have my first antenatal appiontment on the 1st of July (so excited ) and they told me I was going to be with a midwife/doctor for 2 to 3 hours What can we talk about for that long????

Good luck with yours, talk to you soon

Christie

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on where you go as to how long it will take and what they will do. My first one was about 20 minutes. Basic health questions, blood pressure check, baby heartbeat check and scheduled an ultrasound.
    After that they were 5 minute visits. Go in ask how things have been, any concerns, would check blood pressure and heartbeat and thats it. I was never once given a urine test (now I know I should have demanded it though).
    I never got a bounty bag either.