+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity leave question - desperate for advice

Im hoping to get some advice from you ladies in regards to my maternity leave.

My award states i have to give 10 weeks notice prior to commencement of maternity leave and i gave them 18 weeks notice.

I had planned to work up until 36 weeks AND then use up my 2 weeks annual leave that way i'll have my income still coming in until 39 weeks - meaning we would'nt have to wait very long for bub's due date and to be able to get a payment from centrelink (we would be scrapping the barrel on hubby's income alone)

I recently heard that you need a medical certificate from your dr stating you can work PAST 34 weeks. My boss did'nt know anything about this and she is quite happy for me to keep working until i am capable to do so.

Of cause im starting to get tired and run down and im only 30 weeks. I had a look at the my copy of maternity leave and realised that i wrote i was starting maternity leave on 5th oct BUT this is incorrect and my application has already been approved and filed.

I was hoping to start sick leave at the end of sept (considering i have weeks of them owing to me and providing i can get a medical certificate) - take sick leave for 2 weeks.

Then start my 2 week annual leave mid oct (straight after my sick leave runs out)

AND then start my maternity leave straight after my 2 week annual leave runs out (which happens to be the day before bub's due date).

Do you think it matters that i made a mistake?. Do you think they will question why im starting maternity leave the day before my due date although its clear that i'll be using annual leave before hand?

Any advice will be much appreicated... I just don't want it to look like im taking advantage of taking all those sick days right before annual leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply ... much appreicated..

Obviously some time has passed since i posted this and everything is fine with my maternity leave.
    I have spoken to my boss on several occassions and told her my situation, and we have (together) changed my ML dates several times already just to suit me. My boss has been fantastic and has allowed me to work up until I'M prepared too, in which case i have decided to leave at 37 weeks BUT my boss has also been aware for sometime now that i may want to leave earlier than expected - in which case she is absolutely fine with it..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ahh that's good...

I worked up to 39 weeks with both my pregnancies - actually with my 1st I finished work on the friday and went into labour on the sunday

All the best with the rest of your pregnancy!