+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Question 7 year old male behaviour and speech

Should a seven-year-old child be able to speak in full sentences without stuttering or struggling? My friend's son seems to really struggle, and he has major discipline problems too, which I think may be related to his inability to communicate. He seems resentful of younger children, and tends to be a bit of a bully.

He watches a LOT of television, and I wonder if that's the cause (he tends towards passive violent behaviour, such as putting texta on his throat and claiming to have been stabbed). He just worries me, and quite frankly I don't want him near my kids. His mum doesn't seem concerned at all, and when he does stuff like that, she laughs and says "Oh, little boys! Just wait until yours are older!"

Are seven year old boys like that?

punkbaby is offline Got it back :D
    Winner 2007 –The most helpful member award & The member
    you’d most like to meet in real life award & The newbie of the year award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have a 8yo nephew his nothing like that yep his a boy and his boisterous but he can talk quite clearly, he knows right from wrong although yeah he will play rough he knows where to draw the line. I wonder if his seen something on tv to bring out his this whole stabbing thing? maybe his been watching things that he shouldnt.

I imagine his school would try and get some sort of intervention speech wise if they thought it was a problem, but if they have offered and his mother doesnt accept then unfortunately they cant do much, even though it would do him the world of good. Plus if they have concerns with behaviour now days they are pretty much on to it.

Its a shame she sees it as normal, i wonder if there is another way to broach the topic, without coming across as offensive? I wonder though if she doesnt want to see there as being any issues, i know that some parents are in denial with these things, which is understandable. I wouldnt want that behaviour around my kids either

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 7yo niece and she speaks very well. My son is 6 and needs work (undergoing speech therapy). IMO girls are generally quicker at this.

Yes, I've seen little boys like this. Not saying this is always the case, but I've noticed that their parents were not supervising properly and not interacting much.

I think this mum needs to limit TV time and start focusing on her son. Nip it in the bud.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a 7yo who speaks very fluently and only gets the occassional stumble when in a bit of trouble

My DS never does things like pretending to be stabbed, but can be a drama queen if he is geunily hurt/falls over

My 7yo still watches ABC kids and loves shows like RSPCA Rescue, Boarder Security, Surf Patrol and Ben10.

My 7yo is easy going and a bit of a day-dreamer.

So no, not all 7yo boys are like that, and I'd be concearned about the bullying aspects of this boy.

The struggling to communicate, the discipline issues and the violent imagination may be warning signs of potentially serious issues problem. Or again, maybe you've only seen him at his worst?

I'd be hesitant of him playing with my kids too.

However, your kids and standards may be of good to him, and you staying away may be the start of ostrasisation by a lot of people/kids which, whilst not your problem, may excasberate his problems.

I'd try and have another chat with his mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have some close friends who have a 7 y/o son. He is not like this at all. His speach is clear & behaviour wise, can be silly sometimes but certainly not a bully or anything.

Maybe tv has a bit to do with it? But also lack of discipline!

I am not sure what advice to give you except maybe avoid spending time with them. Well at least try & avoid your kids spending time with them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys your replies are appreciated