+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Alcohol and Breastfeeding

Hi all,
    I am a breastfeeding mother of my 5 month old baby boy Jaeden.

Ever since he was born I've had a very relaxed attitude to alcohol and feeding. I have a drink most nights (usually white wine). I always have a drink after his last feed for the night and never get drunk, probably not even tipsy, but I have always enjoyed a glass of alcohol at the end of the day.

Are there other mothers out there that do the same? Am I doing the wrong thing? My baby is very healthy, very settled and is a regular barrel of laughs! I love him more than life itself

Simjt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,
    I think your doing a great job, your baby is happy and healthy.

Personally I enjoy a glass of wine every now and then ( everything in moderation ), and I have indulged while breastfeeding frequently ( 1 -2 glass of red or white).

Sometimes its just the thing to relax after a long day of mothering.

Good on you.

Alcohol and Breastfeeding

LLL

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with ya.

Since DD has been sleeping a minimum of 6 hours at night, I now have a drink just after her last feed at night most nights. I limit it to 1 drink though, and on occasion will allow a max of 2 if I know i have a spare feed in the freezer just in case.

Sending you 'no guilt' vibes

Oh, and follow it with plenty of water to dilute it in the bloodstream

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll admit to it too. I have drunk a glass at night when my baby is well and truly down for the night after the last feed. He is doing a good 8 plus hour stretch, so that is when I have a glass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been told that a pint of guinness (or is it stout??) (or are they the same thing LOL I have no idea) increases milk supply, and it's good to have one of these per day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always had a glass or two and breastfed. The amount of alcohol in your blood is equivalent to that in your breastmilk, so you need to take that into consideration. .02% alcohol is negligible, .2% is not...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Since this seems to be a praise sillyness thread i wont say what I really think..

But it seems to me you all need to find something else to calm you down relax ou at the end of the day!!

I doubt any decent doc will say this is a good idea, it has been known to cause learning difficulties later on... it passes onto your babies.

So its no suprises they sleep, you might not get tipsy but the babies are alot smaller than you and it would take alot less to effect them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummycat
    Since this seems to be a praise sillyness thread i wont say what I really think..

But it seems to me you all need to find something else to calm you down relax ou at the end of the day!!

I doubt any decent doc will say this is a good idea, it has been known to cause learning difficulties later on... it passes onto your babies.

So its no suprises they sleep, you might not get tipsy but the babies are alot smaller than you and it would take alot less to effect them...
    I didn't think this was one of those silly threads. I think the question was quite valid. As I said earlier, there is a difference between having a drink and getting drunk. And some decent doctors will also tell you the difference too.

If you have a bit more of a read you will also see that most of the women have said they have a drink when their child is asleep, not to put them to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Actually I read all the posts thus far. I was actually just looking at the thread cause I saw there where replies and I thought surely someone has said "Hey mate maybe you shouldnt do that, its not good for your baby"

But no, this wasnt the case as you well know.

You are right with one thing there is a huge difference between getting drunk and drinking, But does this make being irresponsible ok???

I dont think so.

I also never said that they where drinking to put their children to sleep, I said are you suprised they are sleeping??!!

Im not because as anyone will know alcohol doesnt just leave your system in a few hours it is still in there when these kids wake up and have another feed.

And also I have been told by my doctor that people that drink whilst BF or pregnant dont get drunk or even tipsy most of the time because it passes directly onto your bay...

I really hope you all stop doing this and find something else to do.......

Because I know that all the mothers on here only have their childrens best interests at heart!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not one person has said its Ok to go drinking copious ammounts of alcohol and continue breastfeeding.

Everyone who has posted so far has made the qualification of 1-2 drinks, after their babys last feed ect. I dont know where you get your facts on learning difficuties being caused by minimal occasional intake?

The links that I posted discuss various responsible approaches to alcohol consumption while breastfeeding.