+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    BH-bigbadbrad is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    BubHubby - Proud in Pink
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bub Hub on a Mission for Dad's

Hi Team,

We at the Bub Hub are very keen to improve the resources for our Dad's on the site.

This is one of the reasons I have resumed moderating but also because we realise that even on a site like ours, there is not a huge amount of info for Dad's.

In September, I'm doing an article on the site and a part of it will be to ask for feedback on what we can add for Dad's as well as encouraging the female members to encourage their partners to use the Dad's chat section of the site.

As a Dad I'm totally aware that while a baby is a huge change for most parents, Mums & Dads both, most info is aimed at Mums. But I think the main issue is that in general men dislike asking for advice/assistance more than women.

So please put your thinking caps on and let me know your thoughts. ALL suggestions welcome!

BBB
    Last edited by sydneybubhub; 19-08-2008 at 17:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BBB,

What about a tipping comp for the blokes? or an advice column?

Come on guys all suggestions welcome!

Rock on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know that this forum software allows, 1. anon posts to be made, and 2. forums to be made that only a certain group of people can access.

I would love to see either of the features made part of the site so we can talk about/ask advice on our (member) partners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder how many Dads are posting with female handles?
    (Sorry, "nics"?)
    Its a bit intimidating at times, when even the "dads chat" section seems to have more female posts.
    So maybe the idea of a restricted section has merit.
    But will sufficient numbers of dads ever be here?
    Lets face it, Dads love kids, but we tend not to notice them so much before they start walking and talking.

StillDad is offline Too young to have children as old as my children!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtoe View Post
    Lets face it, Dads love kids, but we tend not to notice them so much before they start walking and talking.
    Is that really true? It has not been my experience here ... perhaps that is one of the cultural differences between our countries?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by StillDad View Post
    Is that really true? It has not been my experience here ... perhaps that is one of the cultural differences between our countries?
    I think the maternal attraction to babies is hard-wired. Try walking around with a newborn, and look at peoples reactions. The ladies go all clucky. I've never had so many smiles. Guys pay less attention. With friends, some guys want to hold the baby, but ALL the ladies do. We travelled in Asia with a baby, with similar observations.

I'm very interested in the cultural differences though. I suspect they vary as much within the US as between US and Oz. Haven't travelled there with kids but you certainly seem to have plenty of family-friendly restaurants.
    So what's NYC like when it comes to babies? I remember a massive fuss when a Swedish woman left her baby in the pram outside a shop in NY some years ago.
    Last edited by goldtoe; 10-11-2008 at 11:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do remember that quite well. Perhaps it was okay where she was from, but certainly not a good idea in NYC. Not that NYC isn't safe - it is - but all it takes is one crazy and she never sees her child again. And this stroller was small enough to take inside without any problem.

Restaurants are indeed very child friendly here in NYC - and that includes the outer boroughs as well as Manhattan.

As for "Dads not noticing them so much before they start walking and talking", that might have been true 35 years ago, but Dads have taken a much closer role with babies in those years. Of course, usually moms are the closer parent - especially if they are SAHM's, but with so many more moms working, and with so many more Dads not seeing themselves as the dominant partner is a marriage, Dad's are generally much more involved with their children from birth on.

(My wife has been ill since before my son was born, so for most of their lives I had been both mom and dad to both of my children so my experiences might be a bit non-standard.)

And you are right - there are many major cultural differences between areas of this country as well as with other countries.

Southern Dads tend to follow a more old-fashion role, while west coast dad's may be even more in touch with their feminine side (I hate that expression but it fits well here) than even those of us in the Northeast.

BH-bigbadbrad is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    BubHubby - Proud in Pink
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the sign off 'Be nice to your kids they choose your nursing home' Very Cool

Personally, I hope that Dads all over the world realise how important their role is and how lucky they are not to be the Mums. We get to do all the cool things but we do not have to:
    1. Be Pregnant
    2. Take extended time out of work
    3. Be pregnant
    4. Give birth (I still shake my head)
    5. get baby brain from talking to 0-6month old

I not saying being a Dad is easy! Just that I much prefer being a Dad to the things listed above.

Nice to have an international visitor! Welcome StillDad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - and I agree with you ... if men had to give birth ... the human race would die off quickly!

Though things were rough being mom and dad to my kids ... it was all so very worth it. Today, I am very close with both of my children. I just recently came back from my yearly solo trip made each year around Halloween to visit with my daughter. (My son lives only 10 minutes from us, so no trip necessary. )

Oh, and the fact that she works at Walt Disney World doesn't hurt much either.

When they were kids, I was very involved with them at school and their after school activities. (We share many of the same interests.)

We all love Broadway and theater, and I have had the pleasure for quite a few years of having them perform in my bands over the years. Can't top that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I noticed both my boys when they were born. My wife was getting over the birthing experience and sleeping lots and I was constantly up to the boys when they were new borns. I loved being able to hold onto them while trying to get them back to sleep. I think that general chat areas for other dads would suffice most people.