+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! I need a hobby

I'm a SAHM (obviously), I have a 4 month old son and my DF is away for 2 months, then he will be away for 6 months after that. We moved to QLD earlier this year & I know 2 people here (one of which is about to move to TAS). I need some help to fill in my day otherwise I can see myself going nuts . Money is an issue (isnt it always) so things like Gym etc are out. I need to be able to set myself little things to look forward too. I am in the process of trying to find a playgroup, but I'm a shy person & introducting myself to a heap of new people scares me.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like crafts and stuff. I quite often do cross stiches and I make these hippo play rug things. I've sold a few hippos, they're so cute, and I'm about to try and sell some on ebay.

Other than that, there's always day time tv! sorry, probably not the type of suggestion you're after

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i agree
    crafts can be inexpensive, fun and rewarding
    i like to knit
    and make jewellery
    they can make great gifts too.

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi Sharvs

Sympathy for you here! I am fairly much in the same boat, restricted by money and transport, and a workaholic husband. We muddle through the days, but can't help thinking there could be something else I could be doing to make it more interesting/meaningful. Rack my brain for hobbies and come up with nothing!

Which side of Brissie are you on?

If all else fails, I'm online most of the day, so you've always got a chat on tap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ebay is a great hobby, plus you can make some money out of it as well!
    you can sell bubs old good conditioned clothes, unwanted toys etc or scour markets/garage sales for things, which becomes a hobby in itself!
    scrapbooking is another great hobby, you could also design your own webpage and regulary add pictures, a blog etc, all very addicitive though!
    photography is another one which is good, and also helps with the webpage, you can do digital scrapbooking as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Or maybe an online course in something you're interested in.

Mamaduke is offline Jacob Louis has arrived!
    Winner 2007 – The ‘Tell It Like It Is’ Straight Shooter Award
    & The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What are we....chop liver?!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaduke
    What are we....chop liver?!!!!
    You're a dag, Mamaduke - lol

I know my number of posts on Bub Hub is going to increase over the next 12 months.

I cant sit infront of the computer all day though, I get a headache after a while.

Where do you start with the cross-stitch thing, sounds like it could be fun. Make some stuff for DS's room.

Noo, I'm Northside - Cashmere (near Warner)

Mamaduke is offline Jacob Louis has arrived!
    Winner 2007 – The ‘Tell It Like It Is’ Straight Shooter Award
    & The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sharvs
    Where do you start with the cross-stitch thing, sounds like it could be fun. Make some stuff for DS's room.
    Find a shop that sells cross-stitch kits - Spotlight does. You can either choose the cross-stitch kits which have the pattern drawn on the fabric or if you think you're up to it, the counted cross-stitch patterns, which means that you get a pattern with tiny squares marked on it with the picture. You simply find the centre of the fabric (by folding it into four even quarters) and then start stitching from the centre (make sure you mark off each stitch on the pattern so you don't get confused).
    I made a Noah's Ark cross-stitch for Jesse's room when I was pregnant with him. It's easy once you get the hang of it...if I can do it, anyone can - I can't even sew hems...I staple them until I find someone who can sew!!!
    Here's my first attempt...
    Noah's Ark

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do scrapbooking as well(I don't have much time these days tho).

You can pick up a tafe or uni course and do it externally.

You could take up party plan.