+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Have you ever adopted a dog?

Just wondering if any one has adopted a dog from the RSPCA? (or similar)
    I am taking my kids to meet the dog on Friday and if all does well I have an adoption interview at 11am Sunday.

What are the interviews like? I live 2 hours from the shelter and have to take digital pictures of the yard but what else should I take photos of?

I'm really nervous because I am already attached to this dog from when I met her yesterday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, If all goes well and she does get to join the family what things can I do to welcome her and make her feel comfortable and 'at home'??

I thought it would be a good idea to get used to my 'smell' and leave a blanket and teddy with her on friday that I have been sleeping with. If it doesnt work out on Sunday she can still have them for her next home what do you think?.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Be sure you have a kennel in your pictures.

They were going to knock back my dad a few years ago because even though he had a nice warm garage and a protected spot under the house (both with dog beds and blankets) this was not good enough accomodation, apparrently.

So he borrowed a kennel...and gave it back after the inspection. The dog never once went in the kennel while he had it. She preferred under the house!

This was a few years ago now though. I'd just be sure you take good pictures of where you expect the dog to sleep. Have at least 2 or 3 water sources pictured (buckets, clamshells etc). Show each fenceline and gate to show it's dogproof.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The dog will sleep indoors, either in the laundry or in my room. I have a big dog bed from our other dog that she will use.
    We have heaps of possums around at night so she wont be outside at night other than to go to the toilet. Our yard has so many trees theres never full sun (it gets so cold!). You can't even see our house on google earth because of them!

But just in case I will borrow my brothers dog kennel. He brought his dog a kennel with a detatchable plastic flap thing to keep out the flies and everything and the dog hates the whole thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like a nice idea with the blanket/teddy, esp if its a 'pound' type environment she is in. As for coming home, Id make sure she has somewhere warm and quiet to chill out, as she wont be used to her surrounds, and probably leave her alone for a while, while she adjusts to the new smells/sounds etc

I think you will just need to show the people at he shelter that you are really keen to have this dog, forever, and its not just a whim.

I hope they allow you to take her home, sounds like you love her already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Let us know how you go, Sharoo. This is something I'm keen to do next term (after I finish studying and have more time to devote to a dog.)

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, never had to do an interview when we got our 2 dogs or our cats. Just had to spend time with them, make sure we were compatible, and in the case of one cat, collect the next day after he was desexed.

We got a dog and cat from YAPS - same place, different time, dog from Pound and cat from RSPCA.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.adoptapet.com.au/animal/a...=21&statusID=3

This is the dog I am hoping to adopt.
    I took Photos of the backyard and house this afternoon, I got a bit teary when I pulled the dog bed out of the shed. It still smells like Beau.

I am going to buy her pillows and more blankets when I know for sure she is mine.
    I'm taking the girls to meet her tomorrow all goes well! I have showed the girls photos I took when I met her and they seem excited.

I think they will know I am looking for a lifetime pet, My foxy x chihuahua was put to sleep last october just after she turned 19, and our bull terrier x Beau had his kidneys fail just over a month ago. He was 13.

I know NO dog will replace them but our house feels empty without one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    19 thats amazing!

aww she is beautiful! I hope she is good with kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FelicityC View Post
    19 thats amazing!

aww she is beautiful! I hope she is good with kids

This is a photo of her at 19 http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/IMG_2898.jpg
    She was still really healthy, My friend had a dog that was 21 and it looked so old and scraggy like it had died a few years ago..it had 1 eye, blind no teeth...lol.

Beau lasted pretty well too, he was a bigger dog and his life was dramatically shortened by all the drugs he was constantly on his whole life. (he had really bad skin due to insect allergy)