+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! Cant get him to eat fruit or veg!

My once good eater has turned into a very fussy eater.
    He would love fruit and eat most foods I would give but now he refuses to eat foods he onced loved.
    I know kids can be picky and they wont starve, and its not that he dosen't eat but lately he wont eat any fruit I offer except dried fruit (sultanas mainly) and wont eat any vegs.
    I would mash veg in his mash potatoe but he wont even eat that!
    The only time I can get veg into him is if I do mince such as bologenese. I did pasta last night with tomatoes, mushrooms, caspcium and sausage which he has eaten once and he would not touch it.
    Im worried he is not getting enough of the foods he needs. I am at my wits end as what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My boy is going through a similar phase at the moment very frustrating, I can definitely sympathise!

I give DS a multi-vitamin after dinner, just in case he's not getting all the goodies he needs throughout the day.

Can you find any fruits or veg that he likes?

I recently discovered that my DS really likes passionfruit. Maybe try some sweeter fruits. DS also loves strawberries and he likes carrots and pumpkin (sweeter vegies).

I'd keep hiding vegies in his food. He has to eat them eventually, surely! What about some fruit and veg muffins? Apple muffins? I think you can make zucchini muffins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He did like bannanas, mandrins and grapes, then would just eat bannanas now he crys when i offer them!
    I do make pineapple and raisin muffins which also has carrot in which he loves! Maybe ill have to make some more so aleast he is getting some fruit, Im just worried he will keep turning down fruit so he can have a muffin!
    What vitamins do you get? How do you give them to him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I give DS the "Multi-vitaminis" by Herron but they are for 2 and over (just a yummy chewable tablet, I doubt there'd be many kids to turn their nose up at it) but I notice your boy still has 16 weeks to go until he's 2, maybe ask your health food shop??

Yes, I see your point about him turning down fruit for muffins, I guess it wouldn't be good to make him more fussy.. what if you offer fruit with the muffins, or try different fruits, maybe some more exotic ones he hasn't had before?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment my DD is hooked on (as she calls them) "ishies":
    I juice beetroot, carrot, celery, pears, apples, whatever - dilute with water and freeze. She could seriously eat them all day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is through the same phase too! Must be the age!

I prepare her cream soups, boil a selection of veggies in salt-reduced stock and then blend them with some cream or milk until creamy, even if she is not too keen it's easy to spoon it to her while singing or chatting (me of course! ) or prepare her "soldiers" toast fingers with cheese or marmite to dip... soup for dinner or lunch and smoothies for breakfast are the only ways at the moment to get anything healthy in her!

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    its more that the tablets are CHEWABLE .. I had my son on tablets well before he was two .. I just checked with the chemist .. (he was on ones that said three on the label .. i just checked) .

if the kid cant chew effectively .. they are a choking hazard ..

xx
    Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by veve View Post
    its more that the tablets are CHEWABLE .. I had my son on tablets well before he was two .. I just checked with the chemist .. (he was on ones that said three on the label .. i just checked) .

if the kid cant chew effectively .. they are a choking hazard ..

xx
    Jen
    Ahhh! Is that why! Thanks for correcting me, I just go by what is on the side of the packet.

In that case, I don't see why they couldn't be crushed up and put in yoghurt or something (if he's not a great chewer yet).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was having problems with my 2 yr old refusing veges that she used to like. I roasted sweet potato one day which had been cut up into 'chip shapes'. As soon as she saw them she wanted these 'chips'. So, I now do all sorts of 'vege chips' and they all get eaten up.

Last night she had pumpkin triangles and parsnip squares.

Mariposa is offline Winner 2008 - most helpful moderator/administrator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My youngest 2 can be quite fussy with veges. I make them in different things to disguise. Spag bol is a good one where I can get heaps of veges in, also Tuna in pastry with capsicums etc.