+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 14 mth old scared of vacuum cleaner

My 14mth old is scared when the vacuum cleaner is runnning she screams. I cant do it when he is asleep and i stck her in her high chair with a snack and she still screamed any suggestions on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried making it a game? Maybe let her have a turn.
    My DD1 used to be scared of it until my DH attached a small trolley on the front and pushed her around in it without it being on and then we put one of her toys in it and switched it on so she could see it wouldn't hurt. My girls now have thier own toy vacs and they "help" me clean We now chase each other around the house.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD doesn't like it much either. I used to strap her to me when vacumming, but she's 13 months old now and a little heavy. I sometimes hold her whilst vacumming, but she's gotten better with it lately.

This might sound silly, but have you tried actually showing her the vacumm and letting her touch it/look at it (when it's off) and then showing her the button, letting her push it on and off... I did this with my DD and she seems to sort of have a better understanding of it now, and doesn't seem so frightened of it anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhhh Mums5kids, I'm gonna watch this thread very closely!

I have an almost 17 month old DD and she has been petrified of the sight of the vaccum cleaner since I can't remember. I have tried everything to get her to tolerate it but nothing at all has worked so far. I even bought her her own toy Dyson vaccuum cleaner which she switches on and uses but she still goes mental when she sees/hears the 'real' vaccuum cleaner. She screams and runs off to the safety of either mine or DP's arms and she has to be kept completely away from the vaccuum cleaner until it's finished with and packed away. I have had her hearing tested and it is perfectly fine so I know it's a psychological thing.....I just wish someone would come up with a solution for it.

My boys were nothing like this and it's soooo frustrating. I'd love to be able to vaccuum without DD getting upset.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is scared of the vacumn too. Like you can't do it when she is asleep or awake so i have to wait till my mum is here and takes her out so i can vacumn or till a day when her dad has her.
    I brought myself an old fashioned carper sweeper thingy so that i can use that to clean up the mess between vacumn opportunities.
    Sorry thats not much help just letting you know how i get around it. I assume she'll greow out of it one day! hopefully

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katieandlily View Post
    This might sound silly, but have you tried actually showing her the vacumm and letting her touch it/look at it (when it's off) and then showing her the button, letting her push it on and off... I did this with my DD and she seems to sort of have a better understanding of it now, and doesn't seem so frightened of it anymore.
    My DD was terrified, she would visibly shake and cry when the vac was on, so I encouraged her to touch it etc when it was off. I always say "its ok" when I get it out and now she sits on the lounge with her puppy toy and strokes it and says "its ok, woof woof, its ok"
    Now she gives it a kiss when I put it away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Aww, poor little baby.

Skye gets scared of the vaccuum sometimes too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Griff used to be scared of our vac (at about your dd's age), but now loves to help. We got him his own little vac (from target) and he loves it...

we let him play with it when it wasn't plugged in and turned it on for him with the suction turned low and then slowly turned it up...

for a while I just put him in his room cos he would just cry and scream at it...

hopefully it won't last long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to have this same problem with dd but as she got older she now loves vaccuming and having a turn I think when they are younger they dont understand that big loud noise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My twins (4.5yrs) are both scared of the vaccum too. Actually it's not really the vaccum they are scared of it's the noise.

But they both have very sensitive hearing. One will even hold her ears and leave the bathroom when I turn the bath taps on because it hurts her ears.

They go into another room and cover their ears when I vaccum.