+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how do i prepare my DD for day care

hi i will be going back to work in a couple of months my DD will be 12 months old. how do i prepare her for the change. she will only be in care 1 day a week. also leaving her is going to kill me how do i prepare myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would ask the centre if its OK for you both to drop in for a play for an hour or so on a couple of different days before you start properly. They usually agree to this and you can have a good look around and see how things work.

Find out about mealtimes and see if you can get you daughter on a similar routine.

I am sure that others will have great ideas too.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hiya.

I had the same problem back in January when DD started daycare. For 4 times before she officially started (ie where i had to pay!), I was allowed to do visits - majority of childcare centres allow you to do this. What it means is that you can attend the centre with your baby and hang out for a few hours so basically you are watching your own baby but you get to see what the handlers are like and what they do all day etc. I stayed for at least 4 hours each visit with DD and this included staying for her lunch to see how she would go. Only then did I feel comfortable to leave her there without me hanging around.

The first day you leave her there will kill you but seeing them happy when you pick them up is worth it. They do love to play with other kids!

Lauz is offline in training for the run for the kids, March 30th
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do the orientations... our centre allows four visits... however the two of us in the babies room made up 'our own rules' and say to mums and dads, drop in even if you're driving past, even if it's for 5 minutes... just to allow the child to adjust to pick up/drop off... and be comfortable- "this room is as much your as it is ours" and we say what we believe! Call the centre- they should help with this.... besides, it's normally mummy who comes off worse for wear

Also.... Give her a couple of comfort items. If she uses a sleeping bag, bring it... does she have a soft toy she's really attached to? Bring that, if not, choose a favourite for comfort... OR sometimes with young ones they love the smell of mum and dad- sounds odd but wear a t-shirt for a day and let her take that. Take in a picture of you (parents) and ask carers to tell her that "mummy is at work and will be back soon" or "kisses for mummy and daddy" before bedtime- this helps our little ones! Also, we give our children who have a couple of troubles adjusting a picture of the carers- sounds weird but it worked in a couple of cases- just to go on the fridge at home so mum and dad can talk about 'so&so' from creche. If she has trouble adjusting don't be embarressed to suggest trying any of these thigns- they should be falling over themselves to make this as trouble free for you as it can be!
    Any more questions? Fire away - I work in a babies room so I have a fair idea of what our parents are going through - after a week or two they really relaxed and have opened up a lot to us about how they were feeling and what they tried to hide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lauz, magnificent wonderful fantastic advice. Which centre do you work at?? Give it a plug, obviously they hire fabulous staff there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    leaving bub is always hard... when coby started childcare in january i was so upset thinking about it b4 he even started!!! when we went there they let him play in the room whilst we filled out forms etc... and he screamed the place down!!!

the day he started i stayed there for an hour and then we went and only left him for 3 hours or so... then gradually increased it...

the ladies at his childcare are great they take him from me and give hima cuddle and i leave and he goes straight to the floor and play...

at first coby cried when i was leacing but just walk out and the ladies told me as soon as i was out of sight he was fine... they just want you to feel bad... (which we do no matter what anyway!!)

call during the day, see how they are settling in... i did.. and they dont mind... most of the workers are mothers too so they know how your feeling and what u are going through...

good luck with it all!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=the_queen] Lauz, magnificent wonderful fantastic advice. Which centre do you work at?? Give it a plug, obviously they hire fabulous staff there. QUOTE]

You're too kind We only do our best- Beth and I (the lady i work with) always feel like we're in our own little world down in the babies room, unlike other room staff we barely ever leave, therefore we discuss these things very frequently about how we can make the room more homely, involve parents more, make transitions less stressful etc... so i'm glad if it can help someone out I should be finished my diploma by the end of the year and in a couple of years start a business that really can put all this in action and help mums to feel so comfortable about having a couple of hours away from bub... I will do anything within means... I don't think parents fully understand how much we love some of their children. sounds odd... but it's sort of like.. ooo can i please tak eyou home.. i know your mummy might miss you but we love you so much! hahaha.... sounds a tad crazy but i think i ma end up being a possessive mother - i work for sutherland house (owned by lauriston's girls school) in melbourne

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can vouch for Lauz - she and Beth are fantastic. They have looked after my baby C from 7 weeks - now 5 months.
    I cannot tell you how comfortable I am leaving C in their care. The room is happy and relaxed.
    One day they had C out on a play mat with his nappy off and C was having a ball kicking in the air and looking at the trees. I think he let fly with a pee and got Beth but she didn't seem to mind.
    Lauz and Beth write a summary of C every week in a book that comes home with him so I get insights into his day (like C was eyeing off his baby competition in the room - a doll - but she was really no competition).
    The other thing I like about Suth. House is family grouping towards the end of the day when big brother J can come and visit (well he can visit anytime but is probaly too busy before then).
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anna.. thankyou so much. You don't know how much your words mean. C did make good with the free nappy time ... what a great shot... lucky Beth! she has been blessed I think C is growing up too fast, slow him down, please, if possible; he's at a very loveable stage at the moment with all the cuddles and smiles. Still almost too easy always telling us when he wants something... I think he's going to be a clever one just like his older brother... mimicking our tongue exercises already! Next week he'll be talking Warning: if he starts "roaring" it's not anaphylaxis either.. we were roaring at a picture of a lion numerous times the other day - C was smiling away... Beth & I laughed at the thought of C possibly roaring at you in the car on the way home. We're cheeky!
    Last edited by Lauz; 03-06-2006 at 19:31.