+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    subaruforestermum is offline Love me or hate me...that's your problem only....
    Vote for veve! Cheekiest Mod!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Additives to Avoid - ESPECIALLY for children

After a few people asking about what foods to feed their kids that are preservative free etc, I found this info and thought I'd share it. I havent seen it anywhere on the Hub.

COLOURS
    102, 104, 107, 110, 122, 123, 124, 127, 129, 132, 133, 142, 143, 151, 153, 155, 160b (Annatto), 173, 174, 175

SORBATES Cheese and cheese based products, dips, drinks.
    200, 201, 202, 203

BENZOATES Soft drinks and cordials.
    210, 211, 212, 213, 216, 218

SULPHITES Dried fruits, cordials, juices and processed meats.
    220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228

NITRATES Cured & processed meats (ham, bacon, hotdogs). Prohibited for use in food for infants.
    249, 250, 251, 252

PROPRIONATES Breads and bakery products.
    280, 281, 282, 283

ARTIFICIAL FLAVOURS
    ALL - they don't have numbers.

FLAVOUR ENHANCERS
    620-625 Glutames inc MSG
    627 Disodium Guanylate
    631 Disodium Inosinate
    635 Ribonucleotides
    Hydrolysed Vegetable Protien (HVP)

ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS
    Aspartame 951, Phenylalanine, Sorbitol 420, Mannitol 421, Maltitol 965, Xylitol 967, Sucralose 955.

FAT Hyrdonated or Trans Fats

ANTIOXIDANTS - often in oils
    310, 311, 312, 319, 320, 321, 385

THICKENERS
    407, 466

ANTI-CAKING AGENTS/ EMULSIFIERS
    431, 433, 435, 436, 530, 553, 900, 914

MISCELLANEOUS
    943a, 950, 952, 954, 1201, 1520, 1521

2. The Following User Says Thank You to subaruforestermum For This Useful Post:

Jennifer23 (17-04-2014)

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow thats a huge list! I don't think i could remember all that while im shopping :P

Thanks SFM!!!

subaruforestermum is offline Love me or hate me...that's your problem only....
    Vote for veve! Cheekiest Mod!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxcoop View Post
    Wow thats a huge list! I don't think i could remember all that while im shopping :P

Thanks SFM!!!
    Could always print it out and take it with you....

Thats ok....glad I could be of some assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is a huge list indeed... Im will be using it in the future.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just become aware of these things as DD is now a toddler and should be able to eat normal food.

and this site is good for just quickly searching for an ingredient and you can sign a petition:

http://www.additivealert.com.au/

The two most annoying things I've found since starting to read labels is one; that I think they should have to print the number only - reading the full name makes it real hard. And I'm even getting the impression that sometimes they print the OK additives by number and the bad ones by name so if you're quickly scanning for numbers you miss them. Nasty.

And the other thing is that there are heaps of things that are banned in kids food (for under 3 year olds) but they are allowed in normal food. But kids don't just eat kids food do they? I'm one of the old fashioned types who like to cook one wholesome meal for the whole family to enjoy together at the table - including my 12 month old DD - but I'd actually be safer giving her some ready made alphabet spaghetti and dinosaur nuggets or some other ridiculous kids meal like that.
    Last edited by DQ; 26-09-2008 at 10:01. Reason: link removed

Thanks
    Reviews
    my dd has severe allergies to certain preservatives if she eats the wrong thing even some breads she'll be up screaming most of the night. they dont effect her behaviour(make her hypo) just her sleep. i got a book that explains all about additives its become my bible i keep it in my handbag. according to this book by law baby and toddler food isn't allowed to have additives in them but a loophole in the law allows 5% to be put in any food without having to label it. my dd sleep problems started when she was 5 months old about the same time she started on solids, shes now 3 and finally sleeping well because i watch everything she eats. you would cringe if you knew the facts for example flavoured milks have additives in them that have been banned in 5 other countries because they're that toxic. people think the bad foods are lollies etc but some breads, crackers, any prcessed meat or cheese all contained bad additives not all brands though so read all labels

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swedishchick View Post
    And the other thing is that there are heaps of things that are banned in kids food (for under 3 year olds) but they are allowed in normal food. But kids don't just eat kids food do they? I'm one of the old fashioned types who like to cook one wholesome meal for the whole family to enjoy together at the table - including my 12 month old DD - but I'd actually be safer giving her some ready made alphabet spaghetti and dinosaur nuggets or some other ridiculous kids meal like that.
    this is so true...unless you are going to make a meal from scratch (and by that i mean, no jar of leggos sauce or anything like that!) then kids ready meals are much much safer...

i am so angry about additives and preservatives at the moment...there are some incredibly dangerous chemicals in the foods we eat every single day!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just don't buy anything with an extensive list of ingredients - if it has ANY numbers or anything I can't recognise or pronounce - Forget it. I stick to foods in their natural state and only buy snacks like plain kettle chips for example; that only has "potatoes, sunflower oil and salt"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps SFM!!!

Does anyone also know where I can find info on what effect the additive has on the person? Like, what systems it has negative effects for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks so much!

i have been thinking about this over the last few days and will try and not buy food with these additives. my kids generally dont have reactions or allergies to anything but it might be the reason for DS behaviour. if not then at least i am not giving them bad things their bodies dont need.