+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Babies that sleep through the night

My DD 11mths does not sleep through the night but I am wondering for those that do how do you put your baby to sleep at night eg. what is the routine and do you assist your baby in any way to get to sleep eg. patting, shshing etc.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My bub has a routine at night that usually goes in the same way so she knows the day is winding down.. but as for sleeping through the night I think it really just depends on the baby.
    5pm she has dinner
    5.30ish she has daddy time when he comes home from work while I cook dinner for me and dp.. we then eat
    6-6.30 dd has a bath after our dinner
    6.30-7pm she has a bottle and is in bed by 7pm and asleep by 7.30 latest.. she has a dummy to go to sleep I dont think she would sleep without that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my DD is 9.5mths and sleeps though (iv'e probably jinxed myself now ) I havn't

I just put her to bed on her back, tuck her in and walk out

i'm not sure if she sleeps though because in the early days I wouldn't have heard her crying (i'm deaf and if someone turns my monitor down or off I hear nothing) or not, but when I did hear her, I would wait and see what she did when she cried, if she wasn't screaming blue murder, I would just let her be, and she would eventually go to sleep maybe 5-10mins later, I only did that after she turned 6mths though (unless I didn't hear her, then she would've cried herself back to sleep)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my bub (Dylan) is 4 mths and has just started to sleep through. I think the emphasise here is routine. He has a bath/topntail at 6 and a feed after that..and it's off to bed. He'd wake up for his last feed around 11pm (we call it the dreamfeed) and it's back to bed again until 7am
    We used to pat and craddle him to bed - we've started self- settling training 4 weeks ago and fingers crossed - it's been good. We'd only pat him if he cries more than 3 mins (handy to have a chair next to the cot).

I also try to limit his day naps (about 3 hours).

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RebekahLeigh View Post
    My bub started sleeping through at 3 months. Our routine is pretty simple. I let him have a nap in the morning at 10ish then he wakes at 12. Then another nap at 2:30-3ish then I wake him up at 4 because I dont let him sleep past then. Around 8ish he has another bottle (he has one before all his naps to lull him off) and yeah....
    This is pretty much the same for me, both mine started to sleep thru at around 3 months, and dont wake up, even now.

except, mine both wake at around 6-7am

go down for sleepy at aroun 10am

also at around 2 pm,

But my girls were always in bed at 6pm, I just put them down and shut the door, only going in if they cry to heavy, and would only just pat their bum.

Now they are nearly 2 and 4years old, and still wake around 6-7am

have rests or sleeps after or just before luch time,depends on how crabby, and are both in bed by 7.30pm. and still sleep thru.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My daughter slept through from 3 weeks on.

I don't believe it's because of anything I was doing, I was just very lucky. She was easy with everything - feeding, sleeping, never sick, etc etc. I never had issues with anything.

Very much dreading having future babies - what a shock I might be in for!

When she got older though, I found that scheduling feeds worked wonders. I'd figure out how much she needed and made sure she got ALL of those bottles before bedtime, meaning she wouldn't wake up hungry.

She only ever woke up if she'd done a poo in her sleep... and I mean, that's not really something that can be helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Now after my third i think you either have a sleeper or you don't. I have done exactly the same things with all 3 of mine and DD1 and DS were sleeping thru from about 8 weeks old. DD2 still doesn't sleep thru.

They have all been self settlers, no dummies, although DS sucked his fingers until recently. Our routine is like this. 5pm dinner, down from dinner and into the bath, out of the bath and book then tuck in for 6pm. DD1 and DS sleep thru until 6am, sometimes later.

With DD2 she gets out of the bath, has a feed and then into bed between 6 and 6.30 depends on bath and feeding time.

I always lets my babies have a cry for a bit before i go back to them, no more than 5 mins tho. But it does have to be proper crying and no just a winge. When i go in i sush pat until they go to sleep.

DD1 was hard to settle early on but got the hang of it at about 10 weeks old. DS was never a problem to settle infact i can only ever remember sushing him once. DD2 is a pain in the ****. I have sushed and patted her more than i care to count particularly in the early months. Now at 9 months she is good a self settling but still wakes at least twice per night.

Anyway after all that rambling i don't think you can pick them, some kids just sleep better than others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the PP about some kids just sleep better than others. My brother never slept and still doesn't. Goes to bed around 10, is up around 1am then goes back to sleep after an hour or 2 then is up at 5am to start the day. He has preservative free organic foods, has a vegan diet, doesn't drink coffee and has always been that way. My daughter slept through from the first night, slept 12 hours straight on that first night but after that was waking at 10pm and 6am for a feed but sleeping from 6pm until 8am apart from those 2 feeds and nappy change at those times. She went to sleep in my arms on the bed beside me and breastfed to sleep and did so until she self-weaned at 2.5 years old. Now she's almost 5 she's sleeping from 7:30 to 5, although we just had the weekend away and she's been going to bed around 8:30 or 9 then waking about 7:30/8am so will be interesting to see what tomorrow morning will be like. Was after 8pm when she went to bed tonight but not long ater 8. She still goes to bed with me on her bed talking/reading. That will only change when she no longer needs me she's done that a few times, told me she's going to bed without me and then has done so

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had 1 horror sleeper and one perfect.

I did everything the same with both of them.

My good sleeper is DD and she has slept through from birth (apart from when she is sick or teething)

Our routine was as still it dinner at 5:30 playtime for an hour, bath at 6:45 milk drink and a story at 7 and in bed at 7:30, with out patting.

DS on the other hand was in the same pre bed routine and was up every 2 hours screaming for an hour till he was 1, that was due to reflux though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS slept through from around 3 months, He was a good sleeper he would fall asleep anywhere on his own. We used to bath him give him a bottle then put him to bed by 8pm every night would sleep through til about 6am. He still wakes around 6am now.
    With DD she slept through from day 1. We had basically the same routine with her. Bath, Bottle, Bed. Sleeps til about 6am. With both my kids I would put them in bed tuck them in and walk out and shut the door. If they cried I'd leave it for about 5 mins and if they were still crying I would go in and let them know I was there then shut the door again. But they generally didn't even make it to 5 mins of crying.