+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mums struggle to find balance with working and housework

Mums struggle to find balance

Stephen Drill
    July 06, 2008 12:00am

AUSTRALIA'S mothers are struggling to keep their heads above water as they battle long working hours and the burden of keeping their home clean, a new snapshot has revealed.
    Only one in five mothers report being a happy parent with the perfect balance - control at work and help with the housework.
    New research from the Department of Families and Community Services shows there are six categories of mothers:
    TREADING WATER mums are torn between work and family life, but do cope.
    GUILTY COPING mums worry they spend too much time away from their children because of bosses' excessive demands.
    ASPIRING, but struggling mums are most likely to be divorced, highly educated and have two or more children under 15.
    INDIFFERENT mums don't care if they are in paid work or if their partners help clean.
    MANAGING mums have a good work-life balance, but insist their paid work does not make them a better parent.
    HIGHLY FULFILLED mums work full-time, enjoy their jobs and have help from their partners to keep homes tidy.
    Researcher Ibolya Losoncz, delivered her report to the Australian Population Association's biennial conference in Alice Springs yesterday.
    The happiest mothers in the nation are the most likely to work full time, but also have a partner happy to clean the toilet and mop the floor.
    Women in this cluster report the lowest average hours spent on housework, Ms Losoncz said.
    "This group also report the highest satisfaction with family relationships, division of household tasks and adequate level of support from others, as well as the highest physical and mental health scores," he said.
    The fourth largest group - 16 per cent - manage the day-to-day impact of the work-life nexus well, though they disagree that working makes them a better a parent.
    Mothers who work long hours, then come home to a messy house and a lazy husband are most likely to be stressed and unhappy.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...88-662,00.html

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What about the Mums who are SAHM???

I consider myself 'highly fulfilled' and I don't work full-time. I don't think that would make me happy... missing out on my bubs growing up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why is there such an influence on mothers working full time these days? I only work 2 days a week and we are very happy... I sure couldnt be happy if I worked full time I would miss DS too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    BLergh, the more I read the newspaper these days the more I see that every single article is just someone having an opinion for whatever reason....articles like this are silly

The newspaper drives me crazy lol

Going to work would not fulfill me, my children fulfill me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard a politician on the radio the other day saying that he wants all mums working full time- that they should be out in the workforce full time.

I understand why some mums haveto work.

But for those of us who dont then thats okay too.

Sometimes it makes me wonder... we are going to have almost a whole generation of kids who have been brought up by strangers/people who are not their parents.

Makes me think what kind of effect this is going to have on society

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    What about the Mums who are SAHM???

I consider myself 'highly fulfilled' and I don't work full-time. I don't think that would make me happy... missing out on my bubs growing up.
    quote from a different article -

To better understand the work-family-life experience, Ms Losoncz has profiled mothers based on a variety of characteristics.
    the study was only looking at working mothers and how they managed a balance between work and family.

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbelle View Post
    Sometimes it makes me wonder... we are going to have almost a whole generation of kids who have been brought up by strangers/people who are not their parents.
    the researcher agrees with you

Before completing her research, Ms Losoncz said she wanted to link these findings with child wellbeing.
    this was also taken from another news article.

I would like to be able to read the actual report, we are all reading something that a journalist has pieced to together from the report.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I heard a politician on the radio the other day saying that he wants all mums working full time- that they should be out in the workforce full time.
    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I understand some people for whatever reason work.

But those of us who choose not to, shouldn't be forced back to work.

Do you remember who the pollie was?

Thanks
    Reviews

I understand why some mums haveto work.

But for those of us who dont then thats okay too.

Makes me think what kind of effect this is going to have on society
    I know, the whole thing just makes me sad.

There is such a push to take babies away from their mums.

It is such a short precious time. Only 5 years...thats it...then they are at school. That time is not negotiable in my books.

A whole generation being raised in childcare. I don't see how that could be a good thing.