View Poll Results: What caregiver options were you offered?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was asked if I have PHI and offered PRIVATE care

2 4.00%
  • I was asked if I have PHI and offered PUBLIC care

1 2.00%
  • I was asked to have shared care with the GP and hospital

16 32.00%
  • I was offered all scenarios - or Other

31 62.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MilkOnTap is offline Rivi Cecilia - my 2nd VBAC Home Birth has arrived!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question What birthing options were you given for your first child?

When I had Jedd I just believed what my obs told me, and believed that I needed a c/sect. 13 months and another pregnancy later I realise that my c/sect was unnecessary and a lot more birth options should have been offered.

I've noticed that a lot of women are asked by their GP's if they have private health insurance (PHI)- and are automatically offered a private obs as their caregiver. This happened to me as well - I said 'yes' I have PHI but I was never told that the risk of c/sect rises when you are a private patient.

With your first child - how many birthing and pre-natal care options were you given? Did any one mention the risks of going private?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How come the c/s rates rise with private cover? Sorry, just curious.

My XDP wanted me to have a ceasar - thank goodness my midwife said no!

I was given the options of vaginal birth in hospital OR vaginal birth in hospital.

ETA - shared care lol sorry didn't see the poll.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was never given the option of a C/sect unless it was an emergency due to my health condition!

The only real option I was given was to be induced and have birth in hospital, wasn't allowed to have a water birth or a home birth due to my health so basically a vaginal hospital birth it was....

I was asked if I had private health insurance I said no.....but have been told by my GP with pregnancy unless I was dead set on having my own room to always go public so you dont pay through your nose and sometimes the OB doesn't make it at least with public 9 times out of 10 there is an OB there.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With jayden they only offered me shared care with gp and hospital. I didnt think about any other option as i had no idea what was available when i was having jayden. With alethea i did shared care too. After losing Oceana there was no way i was going back to shared care!! So with Ariana i asked my gp up front to go fully private with an Ob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was given all options but decided on shared care with my GP

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was only offered shared care with the GP and the public hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Riley in NZ,and had an independant midwife.I could chose between giving birth in a brand new womans hospital,or an older one(the one where I was born!)and chose that one.If you were birthing there,and wanted an epi,or needed a C/S you had to be transferred to the womans hospital(on the other side of town)
    Here,I just went to GP and asked how I go about getting into the birth centre,he referred me and the rest is history!
    So I guess my only options were natural birth,which is what I got!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was only offered shared care with my gp and public hospital. there was no mention at all of private health cover and private hospitals (I dont have HC anyway)

I had a really good public hospital birth though and this time will be in a public hospital birth centre with the option of birthing in water so I'm grateful for that

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was offered the birth centre, the hospital (and asked which one I preferred from a list) or an OB.

I decided to use a birth centre, (which I eventually changed to the hospital up the road because I moved in with DP and the hospital was closer) and this is where the option of GP shared care was offered, which I took.

A caesarean was never offered or considered and the suggestion of an OB was a very short conversation. I toyed briefly with the idea of a private hospital but decided it wasn't worth it as I had no plans to hang around anyway.

I was told by the hospital midwife clinic that I would be induced at 10 days over if I went over as this is their policy. I just nodded and smiled sweetly ().

Next time, I want my very own independent midwife.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS I was offered GP, or share care with GP and Ob. I ended up going fully Ob (and only costing me $300) through public as the GP was too hard to see, and 1 visit or 5 would cost the same at Ob. I was booked in for induction at 10 days over (a week after appt), but didn't need it as went into labour that day.

This time, straight GP/hosp share, although I've only seen GP once since I started hosp care. And I won't need to see him again unless I need something between hosp visits. I plan on having VB in water this time.

Kirsty