Poll: What size is your family car?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What size car is your family car?

With petrol prices on the rise, the cost of getting around in the family car is escalating out of proportion. And parents, especially those with older children, will testify that ‘normal life’ includes ferrying kids, at least once a week, to and from sporting activities, training and similar extra curricular activities that logistically can’t be safely achieved by using public transport.

What size car is the most common driven by families on our roads today? Vote in our poll and let’s see if we think size really does matter.

What sort of car you drive vs the size of your family? Based on the current economic climate, are you are considering upgrading or downgrading your engine size when you next buy a vehicle? If yes, to what? And if no, why not?
    Last edited by sydneybubhub; 30-06-2008 at 13:42.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sydneybubhub For This Useful Post:

AmyEL (22-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yay im first to vote

i wish we could get away with our little 4 cylinder hatch that we had. so economical and easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We drive a 7 seat pathfinder. It now costs us about $100 to fill the tank.

With another baby on the way we will have to upgrade to an 8 seater vehicle, probably a Toyota Prado. I am guessing it will be the same fuel consumption wise.

I guess I don't really have the right to have a whinge about petrol prices and a large car, because I am the one who has chosen to have a large family. I guess I just have to live with it. We do however, limit the "unnecessary" trips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We just bought a 95 model of holden commodore sedan its 6 cylinder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Commodore station wagon. Was costing !00 to fill. But luckily my Man works for a gas fitting service called LPGas1. So now we have converted to gas and we fill the car for 30. Gas will always be cheaper then petrol no matter what, So even if petrol gets to $2 then your still looking at under $1 for gas!

our little treasures is offline Gorgeous family wonderful friends <3 life!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a 6 cylinder 8 seat (factory fitted) ford station wagon. ATM I have had to stop visiting my family due to the cost of fuel Thats really the only thing I have had to stop and that is the hardest thing! The good thing is we have the bigger car and know the costs so any extra children we may have will all fit Until it's time to upgrade

our little treasures is offline Gorgeous family wonderful friends <3 life!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo0tifuL View Post
    We have a Commodore station wagon. Was costing !00 to fill. But luckily my Man works for a gas fitting service called LPGas1. So now we have converted to gas and we fill the car for 30. Gas will always be cheaper then petrol no matter what, So even if petrol gets to $2 then your still looking at under $1 for gas!
    We wanted to convert but after every mechanic telling us not to, we have decided that we won't be. Apparently it is not a good thing to do to the car

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a Toyoto Seca (4 cylinder hatchback) when it was just one child, and I found it very economical to run. When we had our second, we upgraded to a Toyota Camry sedan (6 cylinder) which was much more roomy, but that now costs $93+ to fill!!!! The only prob is with 2 kids, you need more boot space for the '2 of everthings' > 2 bikes, etc, so we are looking at getting a wagon or (eek!) a small 4wd just to fit us all on holidays!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing wrong with Gas. Heaps of cars have it these days. i dont know why everyone doesnt have it lol. But you get the rebate back too so you dont pay anything or maybe a litte to convert it to CHEAP gas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have one six cylinder car (station wagon) for our whole household. There are six of us and we fill up once a month unless we go to the coast or something (but that doesn't happen very often.

DD#1 and DH usually catch the bus and the three littlies and I walk a lot, so apart from our weekly shop (that I often put off to fortnightly) and getting to and from sporting practice and games, we don't use the car heaps.