+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Meagss please keep us up to date how you and your little girl are progressing through your pregnancy, I wish you all the luck in the world. I know she will arrive safely and bring your family so much joy and hopefully a glimmer of healing. You are incredibly brave and I truly embrace you for having the courage to put your fears aside and welcome another beautiful darling child in to your lives.

I have tried to find somewhere that may be doing research in to HELLP, I had thought that as it was so rare survivors would have been contacted and information gathered to perhaps gain a better understanding, and prevent the terrible terrible loss of lives of the mothers and or baby's who suffer this.

I am hoping to have an appointment with the Obstetric Physician who ordered the delivery of my DS Kye, and i will keep you informed of any information he is able to share with me.

Sending love and hugs
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ71 View Post
    Meagss please keep us up to date how you and your little girl are progressing through your pregnancy, I wish you all the luck in the world. I know she will arrive safely and bring your family so much joy and hopefully a glimmer of healing. You are incredibly brave and I truly embrace you for having the courage to put your fears aside and welcome another beautiful darling child in to your lives.
    I most certainly will keep you posted, DJ71 and thank you for your kind words. We don't actually know that we are having a little girl this time, but I am kind of a little tiny bit hoping for one. Altho that said, I of all people realise how precious such a tiny life is and of course won't be at all disappointed with another boy either (sorry Naiwen, don't mean to be taking over this post!!!!).
    This pregnancy actually feels soooo much easier emotionally than my pregnancy with DS2. It's really weird. I think now that I know my body can actually get a baby to full term healthily, I am able to relax a lot more. The naivety and innocence of pregnancy are gone forever of course, but what I am feeling now is quite wonderful compared to my first pregnancy after HELLP.

I have tried to find somewhere that may be doing research in to HELLP, I had thought that as it was so rare survivors would have been contacted and information gathered to perhaps gain a better understanding, and prevent the terrible terrible loss of lives of the mothers and or baby's who suffer this.
    That's what I mean, I don't think it is actually that rare. I did stumble upon a US survey about HELLP one day while I was researching it on the net, so filled it out and sent it back. I have no idea what the outcomes were or anything... it was over a year ago now and I never heard back from them. But I guess at least it goes to show there is research being done somewhere in the world!

I am hoping to have an appointment with the Obstetric Physician who ordered the delivery of my DS Kye, and i will keep you informed of any information he is able to share with me.
    That would be great to hear what he has to say, I think any info is better than none... good luck and I hope you are able to get an appt with him soon.
    xo

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dad with a question

My wife had Hellp. I am not comfortable even after 13months to discuss the details due to the emotional impact that this experience has left me with. What I would like to know is what sort of odds there are for having Hellp during a second pregnancy. I realise this thread has not updated in a long time but thought I might give it a shot.

I would have this discussion with my wife however I find I disolve into tears even just thinking about it.

If we decide to fall pregnant again I need to remain strong for her...

Thanks...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Scottp,

My heart goes out to you and your wife... HELLP is a truly horrific illness. My first son was born at 28wks because of HELLP in 2006. He fought in hospital for a while, but didn't survive.

Believe it or not, the facts and figures are kind of fuzzy to me now, but I'm pretty sure I was told the chance of it recurring in a subsequent pregnancy was about 20%.

I have gone on to have two more babies since my HELLP pregnancy (the first one conceived 7 months after my son died and the second conceived last year; he is now 6wks old). Happily I can report that thoughout both pregnancies, there was not a whiff of HELLP. Physically I was 100% healthy all the way through and so were my babies.

I hope this can be of some comfort to you... good luck to you both on your decision to try again. Believe me, I know it's not an easy choice to make and emotionally that first subsequent pregnancy was hell, but for me it was all was totally worth it in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scottp

I am so sorry to hear that you and your wife have experienced HELLP syndrome.
    There is not many support groups - infact i dont think that here in WA there are any, but sites like this offer the opportunity to gain support from other survivors.

Like Meagss I have heard that it is about 20% likely that your wife may suffer this in future pregnancies, though if you can make an appt to speak with your Obstetrician he may be able to point you in the direction of another Ob that has more experience in this field, also in additional pregnancies your wife will be monitored very closely.
    I was diagnosed at 36wks and fortunately my little son survived, and will be One year old tomorrow (19th April).

My heart goes out to all who have experienced HELLP, and your emotions are completely natural - I think that once touched by HELLP syndrome, there are many questions that remain unanswered, but continue to reach out to others - you may even find other survivors in your state that could become a great source of support.

Sending you and your wife support,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Naiwen,

Thanks for this info, there is not alot out there which actually lets you know what to expect. unfortunetly i'm only 16wks and doctors are in the process of double checking that I have HELLP as the first test were positive, its a scary thought and i'm trying to get all the info I need together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Really? Gosh you poor thing, it's very rare for HELLP to occur pre 20 weeks.

Are they testing your platelets and liver enzymes?

Hope you have a great team looking after you.

Are you in much pain?

Hugs.
    Last edited by naiwen; 13-09-2010 at 19:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    unfortunetly im in quite a bit f pain it makes it hard to sleep even breath. I have a 16mth old who demands alot of attention and it becomes very difficult when im too ill to play with her. I was very sick with my first pregnancy with liver and gallbladder problems so they are not too sure whether that has something to do with it. They have tested my liver enzimes and blood patlates, and thats why they are re-testing me because it is very rare for someone my age and gestation to have HELLP. I think im still in a bit of denial that this is all happening to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh you poor thing,

Try to lie on your left side as much as possible to help the baby and keep your fluids up.

I will be thinking of you and don't hesitate to ask any question OK.
    Last edited by naiwen; 13-09-2010 at 19:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile I had HELLP Syndrome

Hi,

WOW i didnt realize how many other females have had HELLP. I did in August last year and had my daughter 6 weeks early due to emergency c-section. She weighed 3lb 15oz and we were in hospital for 3 weeks. I was in ICU for 3 days-i didnt meet her til she was 2 days old. The most scariest part of my life EVER-i had 20 staples vertically down (not the neat bikini cut) I had blood transfussion also. My husband woudl like another child but im very very scared as the chance of it happening again is very high for us. After many blodo test we both carry the blood clotting gene, and we both have deformed genes. Currently the professor who saved our lives is conducting a study on us so hopefully will find out more in August this year.
    My scar will take ages to heal, but apart from that im OK, except i cant get rid of the black circles under my eyes-whcih im sure is due to what my body went through.
    I find it very hard to forget about-as so many things remind me of that terribly scary day. The funny thing is i finished work ont he Friday and after visiting the locao hospital 3 times and was told it is intergestion on the following Monday i went back in and FINALLY a doctor ordered me an ambulance trip to another hospital for chest xrays. 9 hours later i had Mia. Unfortunetely my husband wasnt allowed in and i was knocked out completely.
    Good luck to anyone who has been through this and wish your babies all the best