+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hellp discovered at 28.5 weeks

OMG I didnt realise that there were this many cases out there. I had Hellp Syndrome at the time i didnt realise how serious it was until i started researching it once i got out of hospital.

I was due on the 10th July 09 with my first baby boy. I was 38.5 weeks and attended my antenatal appointment on the monday night....all was fine. (since the sunday i had been losing what i thought was my mucus plug) on the tuesday night it had some blood in it...i thought it was my show, a close friend suggested if i was woried or unsure to give the birth suite a call so did. They said to come in just so they can check and make sure my waters werent leaking....I'm lucky i did.

I got to the hospital at about midnight. they took my BP and it was high (my blood pressure has only ever been normal) so i was told i would be staying the night. About 1.5 hours later they got my blood tests back and told me i had hellp syndrome and would be induced.

At this point i was excited and scared. I called my hubby and told him to come up i was being enduced. I was taken to a birth suite and changed into a cape. Then they broke my waters, gave me a cathader, gave me 2 drips in the left hand for the Hellp and one in my left to enduce.....this was about 3am. I was then given to pethadine shots to help me get through until the anethist could come giv eme an epi (i didnt want on but the mw told me it would help with everything so i got it) Had the epi at about 8am - my son was born at 3:34pm with the help of a vaccum. He was a bit flat when born so he was given to the million of people that were in my room...after that i got to nurse him before they took him to the special care for a few hours. He was brought back to me that night.....he was the most beautiful thing i had ever seen and i couldnt believe that i had created him (with the help of hubby)

I had a nurse with me for the next 24 hours all the time and every hour she did her check up on me....i developed headaches and blurred vision after i gave birth. The following night i was moved to maternity ward when i stayed for another 5 nights, they took my bloods every morning - i was told my liver function is still not good but improving....finally i could go home but had to get a blood test done once a week. after about 3 weeks it was borderline normal so the doctor said that i did not have to have any more tests.

The thing is for the last few weeks i had been feeling like crap...i was throwing up everyday was like morning sickness had returned. I had a very uncomfortable pain/ache in the bottom of my right ribs ( i passed this off as either bub pressing on them or all my organs squished up there) I had continuous hearburn that mylata etc did not help...i had headaches - all i didnt think anythng of and neither did the mw or my local gp. So it was a huge shock when they said was being enduced. Now that i have researched i know these were actual signs, the scary thing is if i was feeling like that for weeks what if i had it for ages and had discovered it earlier..my baby would have been delivered earlier and that would have been a much worse situation....so in a way i was lucky to have it discovered when it was on the other hand i was also lucky it hadnt turned out worse being discovered so late. i forgot t mention that during the labour i swelled up like a ballon - i didnt see myself in a mirror but i saw pics people took of me after i had my son and i couldnt believe it.

The doctor told me that if i get pregnant again i will be monitored closely as there is a high chance that it will reoccur. He said it is pre-eclampsia that has a low change to reoccur ( Im glad to hear the stories of other ladies that have had hellp and gone on to have other healthy pregnancies it gives me hope)

didnt know until weeks later my hubby was really scared while i was in labour...i was a bit out of it and thought everything was pretty normal but i had like 10 staff in my room when i had my bub. I'm so glad that i am healthy now and that i have a beautiful healthy 6 weeks old baby boy and i have great doctors and mw's to thank for that - i just learnt that my hospital has the best maternity wing in qld and now im glad i was there,

My thoughts go out to all the ladys that lost there babies due to the Hellp.....I was a lucky one and i definatley will not take that forgant of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Clubby579

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us... it's fantastic you had such a great team of drs and nurses and that your beautiful boy was delivered safely. I'm also glad you're now both completely healthy! Yes, HELLP and PE are both incredibly scary illnesses... like you, I didn't really know how serious it was until after the event. And it's amazing once you start researching and talking about it, how many other women you come across who've had it too. It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but check out the Australian Action on Pre Eclampsia website... it's awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meagss View Post
    Hi Clubby579

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us... it's fantastic you had such a great team of drs and nurses and that your beautiful boy was delivered safely. I'm also glad you're now both completely healthy! Yes, HELLP and PE are both incredibly scary illnesses... like you, I didn't really know how serious it was until after the event. And it's amazing once you start researching and talking about it, how many other women you come across who've had it too. It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but check out the Australian Action on Pre Eclampsia website... it's awesome.

I am glad too meagss. I was a little worried about going to my hospital but now i wouldnt go anywhere else. I want to have another baby in a year or two. I hope that i dont develop it ealry this time or at all really. The thing that scares me is that if it had been discovered when i first started feeling sick that things might have not had such a good out come for my baby boy.....hence why i am a little worried i will get it again and they will find it sooner as they will be monitoring me closley....i think that is what worries me the most.........and its so scary that no one knows about it. I put a post on my facebook yesterday to see if any one in my list had had it or there friends and no one replied to say they has had it aside from on friend that had pe and turned to e.....i really think that the government or someone needs to invest time in research and start an information website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Celebrate Ladies!!! I am a SURVIVOR too!! I had my last boy at 32 weeks and 6 days in Oct 2007 and almost lost my life but my faith in the good lord got me through!! I am here today and my son is happy, healthy and completley normal.. CHEERS!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Naiwen, I was also diagnosed with hellp at 38.5weeks, I had liver pain and the intergestion/heart burn that wouldn't go away and just felt crap...the mw kept saying its normal to feel yucky at the end of preg. The liver pain I thought was just my DS in and odd position. I didn't have hbp at my app, I went back the following night for a check up at midnight as I thought I had been getting my show over 3 days they wanted to make sure my waters weren't leaking, that's when their told me I had hbp and had to stay over night, a few hours later my blood were back I was told I have something called HELLP syndrome, and I had to be induced immediately. The ipswich hospital was amazing, if they hadn't found out that night I don't know that me and my son would be here today, during the next day I swelled up like a ballon, I didnt regignise my self from pic I see after I had my son, I was in hospital for 5 days after he was born with blood tests every day. I couldn't go untill my liver was back to normal etc.

I have a high risk of getting it again the docs told me,

I also discovered the AAPEC website afterwards, I have both of the books, they were a real insight, but also shed a few tears.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am proud to state that I am a surviour of HELLP with a beautiful an now healthy 4 year old boy. I live in a very small bush town and depend on the RFDS. We have 2 doctors days a months so that was usually the only opportunity for a check up. I had been feeling quite bad in the last couple of days but our DON ensured me that it was normal to feel 'off' in the last trimester. I was feeling dizzy and had absolutely no energy. I was also starting to get slight headaches but as there are no hospitals for 500km around here I trusted her advise to rest. I still count all my blessings and thank God that 3 days later we had a doctors day. I entered the pre examination room for my obs and our DON turned a pale as a ghost. I had to see the doctor immediately I was told. So after the patient came out I had to go in. The doctor seemed quite alarmed at my BP and all of a sudden an argument arose in the room. The RFDS doctor told our DON that I had to be flown out immediately with their private plane to the hospital in Cairns and that he didn`t care about the other patients outside. The Patient plane was a that moment in Weipa and would take hours to get to our little town. In his opinion too long to wait for us. Our DON argued that it was not standard procedure and that I had to wait for the patient plane to come in since the private plane had no medical equipment aboard. After a whole lot of arguing the doctor packet up the clinic and told me I had 20 minutes to pack some things and I had to be at our airstrip ready for take off. I was at that moment 35 weeks pregnant and had no real idea what was happening except for the fact I had pre eclampsia and was put on blood pressure medication. Once arrived in Cairns I was told they had to deliver my little boy ASAP. I felt very stressed and getting knocked out is the last I can remember. I woke up 4 days later in the PA in Brisbane. There I was told that I had suffered stage 3 of HELLP and had suffered a massive liver hematoma. My little man was in SCABU with a birth weight of 3 pounds 9. However, he was doing well they informed me. I on the other hand had many blood transfusions and lines running everywhere. I was put in a coma due to my body shutting down completely and flown by medivac to Brisbane because no one in Cairns thought I was going to make it. I spend the first week unable to move or talk properly. The staff hung up some pictures of my little man and my ex-husband had send a little video of my little prince.
    After 2 weeks I was deemed stable enough to be flown back to Cairns where I finally held my little boy in my arms for the first time. He was so small and precious! I was promised I might be able to get out of the hospital the next week. However, more complications were found - this time a big blood cloth in the groin - so again more lines were put into my body. I felt horrid and a failure as a mother being unable to look after my little boy properly. I was determined to breastfeed and it was all so hard. I was put on heparin for 5 days and was unable to visit my son in SCBU. The staff at the hospital were wonderful though. They brought my son to my room and helped me with feeding him and changing him. Finally I was knocked out again and had a filter put in. I was finally able to leave the hospital after 6 weeks and was flown back to our little town by the RFDS. My mum came over from Europe and looked after us for 10 weeks. I took the good part of nearly 1 1/2 years for my body to recover and I still have some scaring on my liver. I thank God every day that I have been lucky enough to have survived this trauma and more importantly that my little prince has survived and is doing really well.
    One advice I can give people is to demand proper tests if you don`t feel well! No matter what health professionals say. Mentally I still suffer sometimes and it is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. My son is so precious to me! And I am thankful for the wonderful people in the PA who have saved my life.