Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy This just isnt normal behaviour!!

Tonight was yet another notch on the "Something just isn't right with Matilda" board.

I was helping with dinner as mum had to go to the doctor . . all good .. I put a dvd on for her and my brother was keeping a watch . . then I heard her go into the bathroom and david tried to get her out .. screaming starts .. long story short. . a good half hour .. probably 45 mins later. . still screaming and crying .. almost hysterical now . . she has kicked the doors .. thrown things in the bathroom . . continued to not just scream but SQUEAL . . you pick her up and try to talk to her. . screaming .. back arching .. put her on the floor she throws herself around . she bites at her sleeves or a blanket .. yanking it like frustration . shaking the baby gate so it falls down!!. . figured try a bath .. nope . . more screamng .. I was in tears .. she was in tears .. screaming. . crying ..

Eventually I give her some milk .. calms her down .. she is yawning from the tantrum and I know she is tired.. I have to stop to check in on dinner .. crying starts again .. ask if she wants chicken . . yep .. all good .. tears stop . . she sits on the kitchen floor next to me with sauce and her chicken .. and a drink . . no dramas what so ever!! . . Scoffs her food and goes on her way . . mum gets home from the doctors. .

Happy Matilda. . babbling. . laughing . . squealing with glee! . . all the complete opposite of the earlier hour .. go figure!!

I tried .. time out .. corner. . smacks . . her room . . talking .. bribery .. you name it. . nothing stopped her until the milk .. and then the food.

Was she hungry the whole time? Maybe .. why not just come to the kitchen like she normally does and taps the fridge and says "this" . . I don't know .. that is the problem

Have seen my GP and the Paed . . . brain wave scan . . normal .. Paed says she is overtired and maybe a touch of oppositional defiance disorter. . says maybe its the way me and her interact. . okay . . sure .. maybe . .but she does it to my mum sometimes as well . . at daycare .. she is a gem .. no dramas. .

So . . what is wrong with us .. is it her .. is it me ..

I have been thinking about a child psychologist to get her assessed .. maybe they can help me curb her behaviour .. she just wont stop or listen .. constantly climbing or doing bad things. . screams .. tantrums .. ugh .. its all beyond what I would consider terrible 2's . . it isnt normal!!

I know she is smart .. she picks things up like she has been doing it for a 100 years .. maybe her brain is working to fast for her. . she wont talk . . says a few words. . barely any though .. why wont she talk . . GP says why does she need to in a house of adults. . fair enough ..

I am stuck . . what do I do . . who do I turn to ..

(sorry if this makes no sense. . I am so exhausted.. all levels. . )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    to you. It must be very frustrating.

Did the screaming episode start from anything in particular or out of no-where.

If you are concerned, i would be seeing a paed again to try and get some more answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think some kiddies chuck better wobblies than others, but add hunger, being overtired and anger that she was taken from some where she wanted to be...and they will put on one hell of a show, because this is their little world and they are the one it revolves around ...( until they grow up and figure differently...well for some anyway!!)

I know its hard, but you need to choose one form of distraction and stick to it, best to ignore the tanty and try to carry on past it, read a book ,obviously feed or quiet time, but become a participating audience and the show with just keep on going....from my experience anyway. Smacking and yelling is like adding fuel to the fire.

Sometimes I find Visual stimulation revs them up even more...so we throw on some music and dance and sing, (helps drown out the screaming and squeeling too)...(helps me go to a happy place!!!)
    Lots of hugs when they start to wind down and talking quietly so they have to be quiet to hear you is a nice way to close the curtains!!

Like the doctor said, why would she need to talk in a house full of adults... give her time to ask, even if you know what she wants, ask her, give her the options ...patience, patience , patience.... breath in , and out!!!

She sounds normal to me... hope all the tests are fine and when she starts talking more the frustration may subside, along with the tanties.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds like she's as frustrated as you.

There is a form of autism (the name is evading my thoughts at the moment). The child is very smart but will have 'bad', defiant behaviour.

In saying that though have you taken her to see a cranial oesteopath? Apparantly they work wonders.

Goodluck and lots of .

Thanks
    Reviews
    caelanjacksmum

just said everything i was going to say and more! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey dont worry she is normal! I went through this with my now 7 year old got him checked for everything. He ended up growing out of it. In the meantime I just made sure he was eating well . Cut a lot of presevatives from his diet, made sure he was getting enough sleep and also enough mum one on one time. It was really hard for a while but we all lived. good luck!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh chrissy babe.
    firstly mayilda is beautiful and spirited and that makes her the charming little girl she is today but i too would be worried.
    justin was very similar at that age. he too is brilliant but his behavour is rather, how shall i put it?, Demanding and strange at times. he didnt start talking until late aswell, after constant prompting and speech therepy. what he has is a form of autism called Aspergers.
    i'll attacha link and maybe have a read and see if it sounds like the things you describe with matilda. i ahve seen alot of traits in her that i saw in justin before he was diagnosed.

http://www.asperger.asn.au/tiki-index.php
    Quote Originally Posted by MellyMumma View Post
    There is a form of autism (the name is evading my thoughts at the moment). The child is very smart but will have 'bad', defiant behaviour.
    i hope you find a solution to help both you and matilda out.
    good luck and if you need anything im just a phone call away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I really do feel that it is more then just a temper tantrum. Nothing or everything can set her off. Nothing distracts her at all. She just doesn't know how to turn it off. She gets herself so worked up and into a frenzy that she loses control basically. When you try to talk to her or distract or whatever else. . she only screams louder.. or runs off and throws herself onto something new .. or bites and yanks at something near by .. or kicks etc . . there really is nothing to turn it off or calm it down .. you can only ignore it for so long before it becomes dangerous of her as she really loses it . .

Thanks
    Reviews
    It can be very tiring being a parent. to you both.
    My DD doesn't have full on temper tantrums (much so far) but anything will set her off on a full on distraught crying meltdown. Things that seem nothing to us are momumental for them. Just this morning she freaked as we shut her blinds. No explaining or distraction would work, only opening the blinds again.
    So what I'm trying to say is don't expect there to be a reasonable explanation on why your DD is having a tantrum. Sometimes it also feels good just to let it all out, like a good cry makes you feel better, iykwim.

Also kids develop at their own pace. So she isn't talking so much yet. Give it time.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious expect you have a spirited child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks