+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default calcium? what other sources can you get it from?

Hey

I was just wondering what other sources you can get calcium from other than cows milk?

The only one I am aware of currently is sesame seed's.

Can you get it in green veges?
    What about home made whole grain bread?

Thanks in advance

punkbaby is offline Got it back :D
    Winner 2007 –The most helpful member award & The member
    you’d most like to meet in real life award & The newbie of the year award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sardines, salmon, apricots, milo, tahini, almonds....off the top of my head Apricots i think are as well will check my book for you.
    There is an orange juice that is high in calcium not sure if its a marketting ploy though but dds dietician reommended it, we are going through a few different foods that may cause her ezcema and dairy is on the list
    Last edited by punkbaby; 31-05-2008 at 01:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks punk baby, you really are the most helpful member.

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sesame seeds by a mile. I have them in my porridge every day..along with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and golden linseeds...

You can have tahini as it's made from them, not sure how it alters the effectiveness of calcium transfer when they process it (gee I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Brocolli (sp?)

There is a large range of calcium fortified foods - OJ as per Punkbaby, Ricemilk and Soymilk can all be fortified

My kids also have Natures Way Kids Calcium for my peace of mind

You can also try sardines, tofu, chickpeas and rolled oats/instant oats.

Quite a few of the breakfast cereals are calcium fortified, and my kids like rice milk or apple juice on their cereal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What the others said & green leafy vegies like broccoli, lots of the chinese veggies or leafy cabbage (cavolo nero). Avocado. I think also legumes like lentils, chickpeas, but not 100% sure. There is some evidence suggesting that these forms of calcium are actually more easily absorbed by the human body than dairy calcium, but not conclusive.

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dulse.

I have just found out what it is. Saw lots of signs of places selling dulse on the weekend and had to google it. It's a red seaweed that is dried and chewed and popular in North Atlantic regions..our canuck friends might know about it I discovered it is meant to be high in calcium. Should have tried it at those roadside stalls!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default coco beans

Raw cocoa beans are also a big source of calcium