+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet training - where do I even start??

Hi,

Well this is my first little one so I have no clue as to toilet training etc !!!!!!!!!!!

DD is nearly 15 months old, still crawling but cruising furniture.

I would like to start toilet training her soon and I just dont even know where to start ?

If anyone can help me with when to start, how to, tips etc that would be great!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there!!

I'm not 100% sure about all the TT info either. My DD is 22 months and fully (day and night) TT and it was SO easy... I was lucky.

This is what I did:

ABSOLUTELY HAPPY, no force or negativity towards her.

Took her to the bathroom when I went (so she started to get the idea, from 6 months onwards)

Put her on her potty before bathtime and whenever she asked (sometimes it was every time she went to sleep and every time she woke and every nappy change, but it really depended on her and whether she was happy, no force)

Said "yuky nappy" at each change.

Bought her some pretty undies (VERY hard to find, even the smallest hang off her)

I have a marvelous friend who was TT at the same time and gave me a web address to an awesome book. PM if you want the addy (not sure if I can put it on here)

I hope that helps!

Good luck!!!

Mich xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD will be 3 in October and we have yet to make any real start with it. She's just not ready to do it. She has lots of big girl knickers, she has 2 potties, but *sigh!* not interested!

The best idea is just to make the toilet/potty etc available to her and let her know what it's for, then you can take her lead from there. Good luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks ladies, some great ideas here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsMiggins View Post
    My DD will be 3 in October and we have yet to make any real start with it. She's just not ready to do it. She has lots of big girl knickers, she has 2 potties, but *sigh!* not interested!
    My DD3 is the same - 3 in Oct and still not interested in the slightest. She's got heaps of pretty knickers ready to go as well and although she's starting to make slooooooooow progress with sitting on the potty she really isn't ready at all. Something about our strong-willed Oct 05 girls, isn't there??
    My other 2 DD's also trained at 3 but trained day/night fairly quickly, so we're really not in much of a hurry.

The one thing I could recommend is patience, Patience, PATIENCE!!
    Kids will generally do it when they're ready and not when the parent decides they're ready .

Get a feel for your DD's interest by leaving the door open when you're in the toilet, leave a potty around the house, lots of nappy free time, and if results actually happen, HEAPS of praise and rewards!!