+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Exclamation How Much time to spend on school??

I thought I'd just post this in here to give everyone who's homeschooling a quick breakdown of the actual 'school day'.

school time: 9-3.

IN THAT: there's
    1.5 hours of breaks
    1 hour of transition times
    30 mins packing up
    2 hours explaining and behviour management.

So kids at school actually only spend about 2 hours a day on actual 'learning time'.

If you are homeschooling, 2-3 hours a day, or about 10-15 hours over a week (including longer periods of time for structured 'art' activities or 'technology projects' such as cooking, building, ect ect... (but you'd find that you'd do those things with them naturally... it just helps if you can link it to what your 'unit theme' is for the term. )
    Is plenty.

Hope that helps.

And please, check out the education and curriculum websites for your state education systems... they really do have very good ideas and resources:

I've provided some links here:

Queensland Syllabus Guidelines

New South Wales

ACT

Northern Territory

South Australia

Tasmania

Victoria

Western Australia

Please take the time to browse your State Education websites. Get to know them, click on all the links, read the policies, use the resources. Take the time to investigate the 'for teachers and educator' links with regards to curriculum and syllabus frameworks and resources.

Then put your own spin on things

(mods can we sticky this please)
    Last edited by OJandMe; 16-05-2008 at 14:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for that. It's interesting to see it all broken down like that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~J'dore~ For This Useful Post:

Ali13 (27-12-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    .......I think that's probably a major reason most homeschoolers decide to homeschool

So much time at school is a total waste - even in the 'learning' time - when you have teachers constantly rousing on other students etc...

I'd love to be a homeschooled kid... so much more time to do normal kids stuff like playing outside and doing what they enjoy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd love to homeschool...

But I love the positive influence I can have on kids in a classroom who don't get that at home.

I'm torn!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by phineas View Post
    .......I think that's probably a major reason most homeschoolers decide to homeschool

So much time at school is a total waste - even in the 'learning' time - when you have teachers constantly rousing on other students etc...

I'd love to be a homeschooled kid... so much more time to do normal kids stuff like playing outside and doing what they enjoy.
    I would've loved to be a homeschooled kid too.

The 2 to 3 hours instead of the 6 hours away makes a lot more time for family and fun things.

ETA: OJandMe Think about it this way: Those kids will be mass schooled whether you are there or not. Would you like your kids to miss out on you and all you have to offer to be in a classroom with a different teacher?
    As great as you are with your students, I think you owe it to your kids to be the best Mum to them first.
    Whichever choice you make.

After all, You can create their world and influence the way they see things.
    Last edited by 0BleSseD0; 20-05-2008 at 14:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had a couple of friends when I was about 11 or 12 or were homeschooled and I really envied them at the time.

i wish I had been homeschooled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started home schooling this year and often wonder if I'm doing enough. thanks for the info. I feel much better now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 0BleSseD0 View Post
    OJandMe Think about it this way: Those kids will be mass schooled whether you are there or not. Would you like your kids to miss out on you and all you have to offer to be in a classroom with a different teacher?
    As great as you are with your students, I think you owe it to your kids to be the best Mum to them first.
    Whichever choice you make.

After all, You can create their world and influence the way they see things.
    This is true...

But have you read any of my Padded Cell posts.. .... I'm waiting with bated breath to send them off to school .

(jk.. I'll take it as it comes really. DH is a teacher too .. well studying to be one... so between thwe both of us we can educate from early childhood right through to highschool.... but we'll see how I feel. I'll also have the 3 littler ones at home... so I suppose it all depends how I can structure it around our busy household)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    This is true...

But have you read any of my Padded Cell posts.. .... I'm waiting with bated breath to send them off to school .

(jk.. I'll take it as it comes really. DH is a teacher too .. well studying to be one... so between thwe both of us we can educate from early childhood right through to highschool.... but we'll see how I feel. I'll also have the 3 littler ones at home... so I suppose it all depends how I can structure it around our busy household)
    The THREE littler ones?

Are you having twins? again lol

I can honestly say I have never been to the padded cell. My kids are so good that I didn't want to make any of you feel bad... Plus I wouldn't fit in!! Story of my life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No.. not twins again.. lol, but we're planning a family of 5 kids... so after this one, we'll TCC #5 in about March next year...

so..um.. yeah.