+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Retroverted uterus

I just found out yesterday from my doctor during my first ante-natel exam that I have a retroverted uterus (means that it faces the other way around to normal uterus').

This is my third pregnancy and when I had my other 2 children in Ireland this was not pointed out to me (no surprise their medical system is antiquated). I have always had short labours but ended up pushing forever (over 2 hours both times). My second baby was in the posterior position (facing up instead of down) which my doctor tells me would be the right way around considering my back-to-front uterus.

I was wondering whether anyone else has had this as well and what are their experiences with pushing and the position of their babies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It wasn't till I read this that i started to wonder if this affected my labour. I have a retroverted uterus and I found this out during a routine pap smear a while ago. My labour involved the midwives telling me to push for over 3 1/2 hours. The MW kept saying I wasnt pushing but based on what else was coming out and what I've read in books I'd say I was pushing. It wasn't until the OB came in that the decision was made to give me epidural, an induction (after 24 hours of labour my contractions had basically stopped) and DS was vacuumed out. I'm wondering if my retoverted uterus affected delivery???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mummajack

I'm convinced it is affecting our pushing. I had no epidural with my first and it took 2 hours (he was facing around the right way) and 2.5 hours with my second (she was face up). I was pushing with all my might and I knew I was doing it right, but it constantly felt like my tummy muscles were doing nothing at all. As our uterus is facing toward the back that makes sense as our tummy muscles would have no effect and as we've got no muscles towards our back to help we're reliant totally on that bloody pushing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you think there is anything that could help with labour? I am keen to have more kids but if there is something i can do that would improve my bit with labour?? I'm going to have a look on internet will let you know if i find any info

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, have no idea. I considered putting up with the pain and going without an epidural this time and trying to push from squatting position with gravity to help me, but if it's going to take another 2-3 hours, I know I'm going to be so pain-ridden and exhausted after an hour.

I get a bit annoyed at these women who try and make those who have epidurals uncomfortable for not going 'au natural'. I personally can survive the labour pains without much pain relief, but it's the pushing I need the epidural for. 2-3 hours of pushing is not funny when you've only got gas and air.

Do let me know what you find out. I'll also ask my doctor today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sent you a PM

cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,
    I too have a retroverted uterus & cervix.
    With my first bub I had to labour backwards over a bean bag. This was the only way I could push effectively. I was only pushing for 30mins. With my second I tried to labour forwards so I could see what was happening, but after ten mins I asked for the bean-bag again. 20 mins later bub was born. I was later told that by labouring this way it helps the uterus move further forwards due to the weight of the bub. I also took a herbal tonic to help with contractions.
    With both of my kids I was induced with gel as my cervix wouldn't ripen because my cervix is retroverted & therefore bub doesn't push down on the cervix.
    I'm now 38weeks pregnant & due to other problems have been waiting to be induced early, but my doctor says they can't induce me yet as my cervix is facing backwards. I have tried to explain to her that I have a retroverted uterus & cervix & that it will never face forwards. Have either of you had this problem?
    Will I always need a dose of gel to get things started?

Trish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trish,

I'm not sure (may be a silly ? but- if your uterus is retroverted does that mean the cervix is as well?

I wasn't induced and did not even think of my uterus until RuthK posted. It makes sense now as I was in a bath on my back, sitting on a birth stool, leaning forward over bed and squatting on floor and my pushing was not doing a thing. It was very very frustrating as I know I was pushing (as posted above) but also I never felt the head bearing down or a need to push- the midwives could not understand why I couldn't.

When you say you laboured backwards, do you mean you were on your back? I ended up on my back with legs up but I was pretty out of it by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

I too have a retroverted uterus and have found out with my second pregnancy. I also had a great labour but had a long pushing phase and my daughter was delivered by vacuum extraction.

Both my GP and Obstetrician say that a retroverted uterus is reasonably common (1 in 5 women), and when I mentioned if would it be related to a long pushing phase, the Ob said that this was probably quite unlikely as the uterus usually recifies itself around the 12 week mark, so it has nothing to do with your delivery unless baby is in the opposite position. Which effects any delivery no matter what your uterus. So, my long pushing phase was just one of those things and nothing to do with my retroverted uterus.

Don't worry too much about it. It is pretty garden variety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if you have a retroverted uterus that it means your cervix is also retroverted, I just know that's the case with me.
    When I say I laboured backwards, I mean I had my back to the midwives. I was kind of kneeling/ squating over a bean-bag facing the head of the bed.
    All I know is it helped with the pushing. In this position I could feel bub pressing down.
    Hopefuly I'll be trying this all again at the end of the week.

Trish