+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you work from home?

Hi there, I have been lucky enough to be offered a job working from home, I will just have to pop into office for a short time a couple of days a week and I can take DS with me.

I will have to take some phone calls on a work mobile, but will mostly be working on a lap top. I think it will be around 20 hours per week.

Just wanted ask you mums who are already doing this, how you find it? Do you plan out your day into sections? Eg, play, housework, relax is from x time to x time? Or do you just do things as they come?

I know I am very lucky to have this opportunity, but I don't want DS to suffer - of course I think at this time it is better than going to childcare full time. I plan to continue our usual activities such as playgroup one day, swimming lessons another etc.

I would really appreciate any advice on how you do it all.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a fantastic opportunity ! Finally, the business world is starting to structure flexible roles - woohoo !

My husband and I both work from home, for different companies. We are both full time so still have my MIL two days per week and Daycare 3 days per week for DS.

In saying that though, some days he doesn't go to Daycare until one of us has a meeting ( maybe 10 or 11 oclock) and has his big morning sleep at home. Other days he comes home at 2 or so.

The flexibility of working from home is awesome, I don't know how I'd ever go back to 9-5 office work. That said though, you do need to be focussed to ensure that you do dedicate your required hours to work, esp if you are going to be looking after bubs at the same time.

Congratulations though - working from home is becoming more possible through technology and it's a real plus for work/life balance !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm working from home as an admin person for a friend of mine who runs a business.

I'm a teacher by trade, but unfortunately my school is mean and doesn't allow part time workers. So i'm working part time as an admin person till i return to work.

I do about 14 hrs a week. I do all the work in my DS's sleep times. It about 3 hrs of work a day. So it's easy to fit in during his sleeps. I then have weekend with my family. I normally do my cleaning and washing when my DS is up...just easier that way.

This job also means during his wake times i can focus on activites for him...like playgroup and swimming lessons and teaching him to crawl!

I tend to leave my relaxing to the weekend, like if i was at work normally. As my DS goes to bed at 7pm it means i have nights with DH as i would normally too.

Glad you are getting the chance to work from home while looking after your bubs.

Mrs Little & Son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's excellent that you have an opportunity to work from home. I wish i could do that! As many others would too. 20hrs a week is only 4 hours a day, so i think you could manage it, like say, 2hrs morning, 2hrs afternoon to break it up and give you enough time to work around your son and his activities.

Goodluck and congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your words of support. I am a little bit nervous, but looking forward to getting my brain working again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've been lucky with my work letting me do overflow work from home. They've set me up so I can log into the database and accounting software, and send me work - usually 5-10 hrs per week.

It's not always easy, sometimes I have to ask my Mum or MIL to come over and look after DS for a couple of hours so I can get work done.

It is great that they've let me do it though. I'm very grateful - though I'd rather not have to work at all ... damn mortgage

Thanks
    Reviews

Default how i wish

still hoping to find something to do as well at home been looking for admin work to do at home and still no luck till now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi stefnriotsmum, I think it's definatley a case of who you know, let everyone in your "circle" know, and tell them to tell other people etc. Good luck, hope you find something good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I both work from home (seperate companies) and both of our jobs are very flexible, so although it seems mad to people now that we spend so much time together I think it will be great when we do have a third member of our family to balance the care between the 2 of us and luckily most of the time it doesnt matter if we work during the day or night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ma so happy for you, with a bit of planning, you can get a great balance between your work and family and enjoy both, just make sure you are organised and stick to it.