+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! my son won't eat dinner

Ok, I know I shouldn't panic but my son is 14 months old. He has always been a great eater and now all of a sudden it's a struggle to get him to eat. During the day he is "ok" with his weetbix and fruit and Yoghurt for lunch but as soon as dinner comes, that's it!! I've tried everything and then in the end I end up giving him a can of custard (he gladly eats that)

What should I do?? I'm worried he isn't getting the nutrition he needs, on top of it, he also hates drinking milk!!! ahhhhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is he teething? I know when my DS1 was teething he would only eat certain foods (usually yogurts, custards, milk etc. anything smooth in consistency) and wouldn't touch anything else!

There was even a period of time where all he would have was milk but once those teeth cut through he was fine again.

Perhaps it could be the same thing? Just keep offering him food, he's still very young and learning about his likes and dislikes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christelle View Post
    I've tried everything and then in the end I end up giving him a can of custard (he gladly eats that)
    If he is eating the custard, there is obviously nothing wrong with his appetite, but it is nice and cold so may be more soothing to his teeth, though i doubt this is the issue either. My DS is 24 months old, and he still eats hardly any dinner, but he eats stacks for brekky and lunch so i just stopped stressing over it.

I still offer DS a good amount of food, and let him eat what he wants off his plate, because it got to the point where i was trying so hard to get food into him that he would chuck a a tantrum and not eat at all Good luck, i understand your frustration and worry

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Mmm, could be teeth i suppose. He got 6 teeth when he was 10 months and haven't gotten any more since then!!! So it probably is that. I hope it passes.

True that he must have an appetite, otherwise he wouldn't have the custard.

The more I try to feed him, the more angry he gets

Hopefully he will get over it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first guess was teething! DD was the same and wasnt too fussed on milk either.

I finally figured out that she was only happy to eat cold food. SO I used to make a little plate of different foods that were chilled (quiche, cheese, mandarin, grapes, kiwi fruit, yogurt). She picked at most of it but even though she ate little, she never starved.

He'll eat when he's hungry or when those teeth come through

Nooshie is offline <---- Mummys little beach princess xox
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter was the same at that age and it worried me because she was not putting on weight (I put it down to teething) but now only just in the last month or so (she is 18mths) is eating like a little piggy!!.(Big growth spurt but still teething) . When she did'nt eat I gave her some multi vitamins in some juice and as much yogurt, custard as she wanted. She chowed down on weetbix for breakfast so I knew at least she was getting one good meal a day. After making 101 different meals that did'nt get eaten at least I knew our dog was on a good diet!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think also this is an age where they stop growing so fast and they have less of an appetite. So he might not be hungry at dinner time - I know if I wasn't hungry I'd still eat custard or other desserts Maybe try giving him dinner food at lunch to see whether he eats it. That way you'll know if it's the food he has a problem with or if he just doesn't need as much food as you think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD did the exact same thing, she's 14 mths old also, now i give her a whole heap of finger foods to choose from (little thumbnail-size sandwiches, toast soldiers, vegie sticks, grapes, meatballs etc) and she feeds herself while watching telly, i'm probably breaking every rule in the book but it's working really well and she's healthy and happy. if i'm a bit worried she hasn't eaten enough during the day, i sit next to her at dinner with a bowl of mushy food and spoonfeed her in between the bites she takes herself! sometimes she will accept a few mouthfuls but if she gets cranky i don't push it. i know it is very worrying but as long as your bub is bright and happy and healthy im' sure he's getting enough nutrients!
    Last edited by aquarius; 26-04-2008 at 22:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS. i should also add she's only got 3 teeth but she's having no problems chowing down on any type of food! i have noticed when she's teething she does prefer cold stuff like the others mentioned (yoghurt, watermelon chunks, etc)