+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad i looked at this thread as i want to have my next child in a private hospital just only for the reason of having a garentee of my own room after the birth! (had my first in public and had own room, and was great would love it again as i could have ppls visit me anytime and not disturb anyone and best of all your own bathroom, its almost like a single appartment!) but reading the out of pocket expences makes me wonder if it is all worth it just for a private room? Hopefully i'll get my own room, the only problem is i feel like i expect it!

Overall the Public hospital was great helpful in every way and i still had a doctor for my appointments so all and all, all good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by christinem75 View Post
    Hi everyone

Anyone else giving birth at North West Private Hospital in Brisbane?

Christine
    Hi,

Had my daughter at North West Private and can highly recommend them. The before and after care was excellent and the nurses were all lovely!

Good luck with your experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very lucky as I had a very healthy baby girl, who gave me a relatively wonderful pregnancy and labour. I went through the public health system and so paid a big, fat $0 for the entire thing.

I had aout 6 ultrasounds by the end as I had an implantation bleed at 5 weeks and then later in the last trimester my ob was worried about size (told she was over 8lb 3 weeks before she was born; born 7lb 9oz!). I also had numerous blood tests (as I was rhesus positive), glucose challenge test and urine test; all covered as done in the hospital. I visited the hospital clinic for all of my appointments, and had Charlotte in hospital. Didn't pay a cent, the nly thing we only thing we had to pay for was a hip ultrasound when she was a few weeks old, as she was born with clicky hips. Cost was $175 (as hospital didn't have a staff member equipped for this kind of ultrasound) and we got about $75 back from Medicare.

I would definitely use the public health system again. Only disadvantage I suppose is not getting the private room, but I felt it gave me the opportunity to bond with other mums on my ward and share experiences. Also gave me visitors when mine had left! Again too, if you have complications you may need to pay to gain piece of mind that your precious little bundle will be okay.

Me 22 DF 24
    Charlotte 14/10/2007

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD we had through public system and from memory apart from GP appts until I switched over to going to hospital for them the only other cost involved was for the first ultrasound.

We had a private room as bubs came out blistered and in hindsight given the misdiagnosis which I believe led to the loss of sight in one of her eyes I wish we had been private then. The hospital staff etc with DD were very helpful though with b/f etc.

Then we moved and I was pregnant again however miscarried at 13 weeks. Only cost was for one ultrasound (the one no one wants to see). GP bulk billed. Hospital staff were ATROCIOUS. Ended up with PTSD. Oh. If I include the cost of my ongoing psych appts this will end up my most expensive pregnancy both emotionally & financially.

Pregnant again however this time covered by our PHI - going to private hospital. GP referred to ob/gyn and following charges:

Initial Appt ($136) + scan (8wks) ($81) = $217 - 192.70 back from Medicare (over threshold) = $24.30
    Next appt ($86) + scan (12wks) ($82) = $168 - $62.65 (new year - threshold reset) = $105.35
    Next appt ($86) + scan (16wks) ($89) = $175 - $65.20 = $109.80
    Planning & Management (20wks) = $1,750 - $1,266.70 (part over threshold) = $483.30
    Next appt (24wks) = $86 - $75.40 (over threshold) = $10.60
    Next appt (30wks) = $86 - $75.40 = $10.60
    Next appt (32wks) = $72 (saw midwife as ob delivering a bub!) - $61.45 = $10.55

I'm assuming my next appt (this coming week) will continue on in the same vein... I can't remember when you go to weekly visits (36 weeks?) but I imagine the costs will remain the same ($10.60/visit including refund).

No excess at hospital - will have to pay for paediatrician to see bubs if he/she not admitted but not sure on that cost.

So to date total out of pockets:

$754.50

Estimating another 6 ob/gyn appts ($10.60 x 6) = $63.60
    Paediatrician (guessing) $200 with about $175 back = $25

I'm anticipating it will cost us under $1000 all up. If anyone sees any glaring holes where I've left something out let me know!

Just want to say that being private gives no guarantee that you'll get a private room!
    Last edited by SweetDreams; 18-05-2008 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was living overseas until 28 weeks with DS. That cost the equivalent of $4 a visit to an Australian GP that happened to be an obstetrician previously. So that included my 20 week scan. and another scan or two because he didn't have a doppler in the clinic.
    when I got back to Oz, I went through the public system (my private health was suspended while we were out of the country, and I didn't have high enough cover for preg), and that didn't cost a cent.

my most recent pregnancy I was doing shared care with my GP. That was $28 out of pocket for the first visit, and $10 for subsequent visits, after medicare.
    I had a dating scan at 8 weeks which was entirely covered by medicare, and my 20 week was going to cost $150, but I would have got about half back.
    I don't know what other costs there may have been if my pregnancy had gone full term, but my guess was there wouldn't have been any (unless they had come across a problem I guess). So, it would have been around $300?

I still don't have top level health insurance so pregnancy isn't covered. I am umming and aahing as to whether to consider going private in the future. it just seems so expensive. Mum had seven babies private and I think they were all entirely covered by her insurance and medicare - baby number seven is only 9 now. Times have changed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could anyone tell me if you can claim any of your private room accommodation costs back from Medicare? We are paying private, but do not have private health insurance. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no, you can't claim private accommodation costs with Medicare, that includes theatre fees, surgeon fees, hospital bed, meals, etc.
    Medicare only covers the cost of consultations and procedures, for inpatient its 75% of schedule fee. The difference between that and what dr charges is your out of pocket expense. you can use it towards your tax medical expenses net.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Expensive but well worth it for us!

It cost us a small fortune in antenatal care for DS but everything was covered in hospital (except my epidural) including vacuum extract delivery, 2 CTG's pre delivery day, private room (great food), twice daily follow up from Ob and 6 days in special care for DS, including paediatrician, bloods, etc. I also had ante natal classes fully covered.

Average cost was about $90 per OB visit- medicare refunded about $32
    $220 each for 12 and 20 week ultrasounds, plus another $220 at 28 weeks to check a few things- Can't remember how much Medicare paid, less than half I think. There was also the cost of blood tests throughout the pregnancy- I had more than usual due to unstable blood pressure. Medicare refunds very small amounts for bloods/pathology depending on what they are. I also had to pay $250 excess.

HOWEVER, I would not change anything about the standard of care I received at every Ob visit, the delivery and follow up care. My Ob was amazing throughout the pregnancy and delivery and was contactable 24/7.

Our fund costs us $45/week (NIB family cover) and we have definitely gotten our money's worth. Apart from the $10 000+ DS and I were covered for in hospital my husband has also had surgery and follow up for a stomach condition the public system (as a private patient) failed to pick up 3 times. NIB covered the costs of his care and he is finally healthy. I have also worked in the public hospital system and while the staff do the best they can, they don't have the resources to give the same level of care we have received. Money's tight with me not working ATM but I will be forgoing other things to keep my coverage and will definitely be going private for bub #2.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Quote from Private Obstetrician

I am pregnant and have received a quote a private Ob.

I was quoted:
    $165 (bout 75 after medicare) for first appointment.
    $80 ultrasound
    $2400 at 22 weeks for all appointments there on in.

I am confused about what the $2400 covers. Can anyone clarify what this includes? Are there no appoinments in between 12 and 22 weeks?? Does the 2400 cover the doctor attending the birth? or is this where my private cover comes into things. Please enlighten me!

When I am in hospital, am I right to conclude that I only need to pay the excess that is stipulated in my MBPrivate health cover policy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience, that big fee you pay at around 22 weeks is a general management fee that covers the remainder of your pregnancy. If you are unsure, you should get your ob, or someone in their office (usually the receptionist knows everything you need regarding this) to clarify for you. You should ask whether this fee covers all the appointments other than your first or whether you will have to make additional payments per visit. Different obs do things differently and have different price structures.
    No question is to silly - they are there to inform and help you.

I am also with MBP. With my level of cover I will be paying an excess and a daily co-payment. It will depend on your level of cover whether this applies to you. Bub is covered under my cover including any special care if it is needed (hopefully not). I simply need to make sure that I add bub onto my cover within 2-3 months. I had recieved much conflicting advice on PHI and whether/what stage to add bub on. Even the Private Hospital I am going to has the wrong info regarding this on their website.
    The best advice I can give is to always get your information first hand (i.e. go into a MBP outlet) and then ask for it in writing. That way there are no nasty surprises!!