+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Completely lost and need a lot of info please!

Hi there

I'm due to arrive in Australia in three weeks time (Anzac day to be precise) from Scotland. Although I was born in St Leonards, I have lived most of my life abroad. I'm almost 25 weeks pregnant and have absolutely no idea what to do when I arrive ie, I have nothing in place, no healthcare, midwife or hospital. I shall be living in/near Winston Hills. I'd really love some advice from the basics onwards - I know I need to get registered with Medicare but that's about it!

Please help!

Kaz

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kaz,

Wish I could help but I'm not familiar with the Winston Hills district.

When you register with Medicare they should give you a temporary card whilst you await your proper one and then perhaps book in to see a doctor locally who may then be able to refer you the best hospital in your area. Then you will need to go to that hospital to sign in and begin your visits.

Sorry I can't be much help, but you are sure to find it on bubhub - everyone is very friendly and helpful here.

Siobhan

Thanks
    Reviews
    not sure but I think Westmead Hospital will be your closest public hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kaz

I have no idea where Winston Hills is, but as far as finding out about hospitals etc you can always go to a GP in ur area and they will be able 2 give u all the info u need about selecting a hospital, organising scans - basically everything u need to get the ball rolling - also check out some of the parent / baby clinics in the area, but you will b amazed at how much u can find out by searching bub hub.
    Hope this is helpful!

Cheers
    REn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kaz,

I moved out here from England 3 years ago so have been through it all myself (although I wasn't pregnant at the time). It can be a bit overwhelming when you don't know where to start! Please feel free to PM me if you want a bit of support or any more info.

The two most important things you will need to sort out are Medicare and (if you are planning to work post baby) a tax file number.

You will probably want to sort out Medicare first if you are preg! You can download the enrolment forms at:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...h/forms/mf.htm

Or alternatively just pop into any medicare office and they will give you the forms and talk you through it. From memory it takes about 30 days to get your medicare card, but if you need to go to the doctor before then just keep the receipts and you can claim it back once your card comes through.

The tax file number is the same as our National Insurance Number. You can apply for it through the link below or give the ATO a call and they can send you the forms. I think from memory it's all pretty straightforward. If you were born in Australia I guess that would make you an Australian Citizen? Should make things more simple!

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...79#001_002_001

I'm not sure where Winston Hills is or what the closest maternity hospital is - maybe some of the other girls on here can help with recommendations in your area. I had my DS at the Royal North Shore Hospital in St Leonards. Basically when I found out I was pregnant, my GP gave me a referral and I rang the hospital and booked in. I went through the public system which was free and saw the midwives there throughout my pregnancy but you can also choose to go private and choose an obstetrician. I was really happy with the public system - much better than they have in the UK.

Anyway, I've blathered on for far too long - as I said above if you want any more info or just want to chat, feel free to PM me.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mother was brought up in winston hills and she confirmed with me that westmead is the closest hospital to you. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi!! Welcome to Buh Hub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs up Thankyou

A big thank you to everyone that replied - looks like my best move so far is to find this site!

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Kaz