+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Want to study nursing - where do I start?

I'd love to start a nursing course but I'm a bit lost as to where to start and what the course is called exactly. I've tried searching online, but it's all very confusing.

1. Where do I start? What course do i enrol in? What is the difference between and bachelor and undergrduate and postgaduate and degrees? Which one would I start with?

1. Can you do nursing online? I don't want to put DD into childcare just yet. (I assume you would need to go in a do prac from time to time but the theory could be done at home.)

3. Does it help that I have a diploma in Early Childhood (Dipolma of Community Services)?? I thought I read somewhere that it could help get you accepted?

If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I live in Sydney

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you wanted to be an RN _ Registered nurse, you have to do a uni course.. and EN or EEN - Enrolled (Endorsed Enrolled) nurse is TAFE. Uni is usually 3 years, TAFE is 18 months -2 years...
    Having a Diploma will help you get in, so you would have to just check with the uni you want to apply at.
    External nursing is done through University of SA, Charles Darwin Uni (I think) and James Cook Uni (I also think..) You can apply for interstate uni's, but you will have to travel there for week long workshops once or twice a year. I have heard it is harder for people with prac if in an interstate uni as they have had to organise any placements themselves.

If you are doing a Bachelor degree you are classified as an undergraduate.... post grad is when you have done your degree, but doing more once you have finished.
    HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!

Whether you study a under/post graduate degree would depend on what qualifications you have already obtained.

If you already have a bachelor degree - you can consider a post graduate course, otherwise if you are entering as a mature age student (21 yrs over) or have a diploma you would be looking at an undergraduate course (bachelor of nursing) which in the end would result in having a degree qualification. So it would help having a diploma.

You normally start in march and applications close usually around september the year before. You will need to apply through UAC (university admissions Centre).

If you are looking at doing bachelor of nursing online, look at the Open Universities website, they offer it online through the University of South Australia, but you do have to travel to the university in Adelaide for practicals once every semester for 3-4 days. Admission for open university are different, i think they have different dates that you can begin the course as it is at your own pace.

Otherwise you can do it through many other uni's in sydney - part time/full time, you can see which ones offer them on the nsw nursing website.

Goodluck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think CSU (charles sturt Uni wagga) may do it external now, but dont quote me on that!

You will have to put your DD in daycare or find care for her at some stage cause even though you may do it external, u still will have to do placement which can last anything from 2-4weeks of shift work.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great, thanks for your responses. I have checked with open universities, and they only offer in SA.

Tafe offers it, close to where I live.

Do you think there is much difference studing at Tafe or Uni? Is one regarded better than the other? The Tafe course there is for an 'Enrolled Nurse' how does that differ from a Registered Nurse?
    Last edited by Lilyloo; 04-04-2008 at 10:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3KIDSMUM View Post
    I think CSU (charles sturt Uni wagga) may do it external now, but dont quote me on that!
    yes, thanks, this is correct, but it's only offered to nurses who currently hold an Enrolled Nurse Certificate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest if u want to work asap to do the En course first and gain expereince. I didnt do the EN course first and regretted at as I could only work as a AIN in a nursing home.
    ENs are not able to give medications unless they have their endorsement for giving medications. For a full list of what Ens and Rns do look at the nursing council website
    HTHs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3KIDSMUM View Post
    I suggest if u want to work asap to do the En course first and gain expereince. I didnt do the EN course first and regretted at as I could only work as a AIN in a nursing home.
    ENs are not able to give medications unless they have their endorsement for giving medications. For a full list of what Ens and Rns do look at the nursing council website
    HTHs!
    Thanks again, I'll read up on the nursing council website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Katie, i've just sent u a PM bout the EN course currently being offered at the TAFEs around the country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any advice... as I too am wanting to get into nursing... particularly midwifery... and am throwing around whether to do straight midwifery or nursing....

but this TAFE course sounds very interesting!!!