+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Riding in taxis with infants

Does anyone know the deal about riding in taxis with infants? DH and I are heading over to Sydney later this month and will need to catch a taxi from the airport to our hotel. The issue is we are taking our 14 week DS with us (he will be more 16-17 weeks when we go over). I've never really thought about it before, but how does one travel in a taxi when they have an infant/ child that needs child restraints?

Thanks
    Reviews
    you can request a child seat in the taxi

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, I am not sure abotu Sydney, but here in brisbane you are allowed to have the baby in your arms/lap if they are under 1. A bit scary, but its allowed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep, just request a taxi with a baby seat.....might cost an extra 10 or 20 bucks or so butyou can definatel do it..

By the way...your sig is so funny

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ask the guy that takes care of the queues at the taxi rank at the airport, I think he wears an orange vest. He helps to move the queue along. Just ask him if he can find you a cab with a baby seat. That's what we did with our 2 year old and he just went down the line of taxis and found one for us. Although he said we don't legally need one but I refuse to be in a car without a car seat for DD, too risky.

But if there is no taxi there with a seat you may have to wait a bit or call one up. Sorry I don't have any numbers but you can look on the online yellow pages. Some companies I remember are Lime, Premier.

Another option is to carry along your own child seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had to got in a taxi a few times when ds was under one and he sat on my lap. Pretty damn scary - if you can get a cab with a car seat - take that option, especially if travelling at speed (more than 60ks)

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    yes it is legal for you to hold you baby in your arms, but iwould no way recommend it. Very silly law as far as im concerned.

Im sure if you phone ahead and book a taxi with a child restraint then it should be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's a pain but why don't you take your own car seat? It's free to take on the plane, you know it's safe and TBH there aren't a lot of taxi drivers who have a child restraint available - you may be waiting for hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have often wondered the same thing!

So out of curiosity... you are allowed to have a baby (under 1) in you arms... under the seat belt in a taxi.... but not in your own car Not that I would ever do it.... DS sits in a car seat and will for a VERY long time!!!

And what happens for bubs over 1?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxcoop View Post
    yes it is legal for you to hold you baby in your arms, but iwould no way recommend it. Very silly law as far as im concerned.

Im sure if you phone ahead and book a taxi with a child restraint then it should be fine
    Yep I've done this before, even though my child was over 2 at the time and they said she didn't have to be in a "baby" seat anymore she could have gone into a normal cheapo booster which they have lots of

Yes you can ride legally in a taxi with bub on your lap but I wouldn't risk my child's life in this way. You get just one chance at raising kids.

It's easy enough to ask for an infant seat to be put in, or use your own if possible too as that may be a safer option again.