+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default settling a sick baby

Hi
    I am new to this site so I will do my best.
    My third child is six months old and is lactose intolerant and soy intolerant. He has colic and silent reflux. He is on Neocate and Losec and is doing better. My question is do I still settle him to sleep like a baby who is well, or do I make allowances because his crying may not be attention seeking but he may be in pain and this bothers me and pulls on my heartstrings.

Please help, do I persevere and do the put down, or do I nurse him and spoil him because he is unwell?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My thoughts go out to you...

My DS has silent reflux and is lactose intolerant and we only just discovered it.

I tried neocate but my DS wouldn't take it.....my DS is on Zantac for his silent reflux...and i don't know if he is soy intolerant.

Things have gotten better for us since we put him on solids and the same should go for you when u start solids.

Does he wake out of sleeps screaming? Does he have issues feeding?

Also, I think you will find that colic is related to the symptoms of an intolerance....so that too should get better as you use Neocate formula....but it wont eradicate all the symptoms.

Here is a web site that i found useful: http://www.disa.com.au/Food%20Intole...gic%20Baby.htm

Feel free to PM if you want to any support.

Mrs Little & Son.
    Last edited by Mrs Little; 01-04-2006 at 11:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    do what feels right for you and bub
    Our DD had reflux and she screamed lots until we had it under control/managed
    So we cuddled and nursed her all the time
    Once we had her reflux under control we had to go through a transition stage to get her to go to sleep on her own, but it only took a few days (we used a modified version of controlled crying)
    It is so hard for them to settle when they aren't well, and I am sure you can tell the difference between the pain scream and the "I want you" one.
    I don't regret 'spoling' her by cuddling her so much when she was in pain, I would do it again because once everything was right she was brilliant and it did not take long to change our routine - it was so easy when she wasn't in agony.
    Good luck and hope you find an answer that works for you both soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly, ((hugs)). Babies at 6 months do not attention seek. If he is crying he may be in pain, or simply want the comfort of his mummy. Do what your heart says, he obviously needs you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Carlia~
    Firstly, ((hugs)). Babies at 6 months do not attention seek. If he is crying he may be in pain, or simply want the comfort of his mummy. Do what your heart says, he obviously needs you.

Yeah, what she said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Lots of cuddles for sure !
    My best advice as i had a colicky baby who had very mild silent reflux is to keep him with you as much as possible whether that means using a sling or baby carrier or just taking him around in a rocker or highchair.
    Bubs loved being moved around room to room watching me do things etc while he played this seemed to calm him & make sleep easir etc but otherwise i would just get myself set up on the lounge with drink, munchies, remote control, pillows etc then rock him to sleep so he slept in my arms or on my lap.
    Sooooo much easier !
    If having him close makes him happy its not such a bad thing is it ?
    He loves his mama & thats awesome !