+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default underweight and ttc

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm 174cm tall and 50kg (have gotten stuck at this weight, can't seem to go any further!).

Body weight, specifically body fat, plays an essential role in the reproductive life of women. And, once you’re pregnant, the existing amount of body fat at conception, and weight gain during pregnancy, appear to influence the pregnancy outcome.
    Some women with minimal body fat have no menstrual periods or very irregular ones. About 6% of cases of primary infertility in which there is a problem with ovulation result from being excessively underweight. More than 70% of these women conceive spontaneously if their weight disorder is corrected through weight gain. If a woman weighs less than 95 percent of the predicted ideal body weight for her height, she should receive counselling about increasing her weight to an ideal level.

Body fat affects the release of the hormones that stimulate the ovary to produce an egg and regulate the menstrual cycle. When body weight is within 5% of ideal body weight, these hormones generally return to normal and the ovulatory cycle resumes.
    i village

can I get any weight GAIN buddies here

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know how hard it can be to gain weight so I just wanted to say Good Luck and I am sending weight gain wishes your way
    Last edited by Baby Girl; 01-04-2006 at 01:37. Reason: possibly offensive!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Love My Tommy Bub I can't help you there I'm now into size 8 (that's what I look like when I put my jeans on) LOL.

But if you want to put on weight eat lots of ice cream, creamy foods & pasta. I went from size 10-12 before DD then while I was pg I went up to size 22 now I can fit into size 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys

I managed to put on a few kg in 2 weeks, but nomatter what I eat it seems I'm stuck at 50 When I concieved Thomas I was 44kg but it took 2 yrs to concieve him and I plan on doing all I can to make sure #2 dosen't take that long!!

My dr is being great too, I see him in a few weeks, he was talking about putting me on clomid or something similar when I last saw him 3 months ago!!!

I'm also working on getting Tom on 2-3 meals a day so he'll be breastfeeding less and hopefuly that'll help too, both with the conception issue and gaining weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard that breastfeeding does make you loose weight but I wouldn't know as I bottle fed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey there, me too. i'm with you.

I'm 157cm tall last time i checked, and i weigh 41kg.

When i fell pregnant last time i was 37kg. When i had my m/c at 14 weeks, i had gained6kg, and was at 43kg. Since then ive gone back down to 39kg and back up to 42kg then down to 39-40kg and slowly now gettin higher, just weighed myself then on digital scales and it said 41.0kg.
    When i fell preggers last time i was worried about my weight, but the doctor wasnt concerned too much, as long as i was eating right. When i had the m/c i asked if it had anythin to do with my weight and was told a flat out no, that many many women of small stature and weight go on to have happy healthy babies.

mymother, father and two sisters are also "skinny", tho i'm the shortest, my eldest sister is taller and looks skinnier, and she has two healthy sons.

i'm in proportion, just on a real little scale. The most Ive ever weighed is 45kg. That was when i was 17 (seems a long time now, only eight years but) and still had a bit of "puppy fat"

I love my food, and i eat alot some days but i can never seem to keep weight on. i am tryin tho! i wish i had a personal cook on hire just for me! I hate cooking! Lucky my DP doesnt mind most of the time.

Anyway, yea, if you like, i'll be your weight gain buddie, as it seems too much to me in my life that im the only person thats tryin to put on weight, all my friends are tryin to lose weight and dont really like talkin to me about trying to put it on, like how dare i whinge about it. Mind, doesnt stop them from tellin me im unhealthy.

Accordin to the national height/weight chart, i'm supposed to be 55kg, but ive had three doctors agree with me that i should strive for 45kg and they'll be happy, because bein that my whole family is slight of build, they take that into account

so long story short, yea, lets try and put some weight on togethr and keep it on!
    thanx for startin this thread, i think its a good idea, give each other some support too many people are too quick to assume that you have an eating disorder when your petite. i'm rapt i'll have someone who understands to talk to about it!
    take care!
    -dimarie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello

I'm also with you...I am 170cm and 47kg. I want to TTC in a few months and know that my weight probably doesn't help. Then again I was 52kg when I conceived Em so hopefully a few days of big indulgence will get me up there. The problem is getting it to stick.

I think a combination of BF and not drinking that knocked me under the 50kg mark! I stopped BF a couple of months ago but I still haven't gained the weight even though I am still eating the same.

jomarie - I hate it when people assume that I must have eating disorder...I even had an ECHN accuse me of putting my body image before my daughter as she was fully BF at the time and she didn't think I would be producing milk as i was 'starving' myself. We weighed Em 10 mins later and she was up in the 90th centile. Hardly a child going without food and I know her Mum wasn't

On that note I am off to great breakie!

Claire x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay! I think that makes three of us then!

Dimarie - My dr has said my weight probobly isn't why I had trouble ttc, and I know it wasn't why I lost my baby (I was assulted) but I figured even if its not I owe it to my kids to be as healthy as possible, and hopefuly that will make some differrence in the ttc dept!

Claire - After having my son I was about 54kg but I got a tummy bug when he was around 4-5 months old, that in combination with breastfeeding and I dropped a LOT of weight! I'm aiming for between 55 and 57kg.

I have been eating alot of potato and pasta (my clothes are being starched from the inside) and drinking alot of egg flips, milkshakes and milo with extra full cream milk powder. All that worked for a week but seems to have stopped. Also been walking and doing pilates to make sure all the weight becomes lean tissue rather than fatty tissue. I'm pretty nicely toned which I'm very proud of, and I don't look as boney as I did pre-baby which I'm also proud of, but there's still work to do!

Amy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Amy and Claire!
    Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I've been completely consumed by the 2ww and hpt's.
    How are the both of you? Gained any weight? how are you both feeling?
    Well, i wasnt happy because my weight went down the other week! To 40kg! I was NOT HAPPY!
    And it didnt make any sense because I've been eating quite well!
    Okay, so, i was abit woried that I may not of been ovulating due to my weight, but i guess i was because I"M PREGNANT!!!!!(Very Happy on that account!)
    So now I am even more concerned about putting weight on!
    I'm eating pastas and potatoes, and vegies and red meat, and sandwiches but I'm running out of ideas. Plus i can only drink so much milk milo before it starts to get to me!
    Its a bit easier at the moment because I'm always hungry! but I was wondering if you had any good ideas of meals that help with gaining weight!
    i'm back up to 41kg now, want to be as healthy as i possibly can for this bub!
    Well, hope to hear from you both!
    All the best!
    -dimarie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Love My Tommy Bub
    Yay! I think that makes three of us then!

Dimarie - My dr has said my weight probobly isn't why I had trouble ttc, and I know it wasn't why I lost my baby (I was assulted) but I figured even if its not I owe it to my kids to be as healthy as possible, and hopefuly that will make some differrence in the ttc dept!
    Amy - I'm so sorry to hear that, and I'm sorry for your loss! some people are not human. i hope the person responsible got what they deserved!
    Big sweetie!
    Take Care!
    -dimarie