+ Reply to Thread
    MilkOnTap is offline Rivi Cecilia - my 2nd VBAC Home Birth has arrived!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Tell me everything about Breastfeeding through Pregnancy

So... fire away!!

Jedd has been feeding STACKS more in the last week; as in 5 or 6 feeds a day instead of his usual 3. His first 2 teeth are coming through though so it could just be for comfort

Is there any chance he will want to wean? Any chance that I might want him to wean?

Thanks in advance ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I was pg Ozzy seemed to love the change of milk more and would feed so often it was ridiculous. He might want to wean - but keep an open mind that he might become a boobie monster and want to be attached to the breast 24/7.

It can get painful feeding during pregnancy - you know how you get sore nipples and breasts when pg, now put a kid on the end of that breast (it's really painful some days) but I did find it went through phases of being really painful, so wasn't constantly painful.

MrsTwith3 is offline Growing so fast...slow down already
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ally I am experiencing this now. Being pregnant and b/f that is.
    I am finding my nearly 18mo DS is wanting to feed so much more. I am also finding it quite uncomfortable due to having pretty sore and sensitive nipples.
    The past few days I have been almost jumping out of my skin everytime he comes up to me asking for "my milkies"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I found a heat pack on the breast before feeding and on the breast I wasn't feeding on helped to reduce some of the pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, all I can say is that not every baby weans - I still have a boobaholic

Actually, this is more for OM (and other tandem feeders), but did you "spurt" as much as when the milk comes in, and how did Oscar take it? I just remember how fast the milk flowed with Liam, and wondering if that changes at all with 2?

Thanks
    Reviews
    err look up my threads in BF...I have had breast aversion nearly the entire time. It comes and goes but mostly it stays, but what can I do she loved her boob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezelkat View Post
    Well, all I can say is that not every baby weans - I still have a boobaholic

Actually, this is more for OM (and other tandem feeders), but did you "spurt" as much as when the milk comes in, and how did Oscar take it? I just remember how fast the milk flowed with Liam, and wondering if that changes at all with 2?
    I don't squirt or leak nearly as much as I did first time round, because my breasts never really get a chance to get that engorged. When they have though, Olivia very gladly drains them for me She concentrates hard when she is feeding with the initial let down, and will occasionally splutter a bit, but it's all good. It means that bub never gets drowned, because I get Olivia to take of that excess milk to begin with... no more windy colicky baby from too much foremilk! Woot.

My milk came in earlier, and has settled earlier too.

Anyway, enough rambling from me!

Did she want to wean?

No. She cut down a fair bit, but was no-where near weaning.

Did I want her to wean?

At times, yes. It hurt like hell and really drove me batty making me want to crawl out of my skin at times while I was feeding her... but I am really glad I stuck it out, as the benefits of tandem feeding are great! (For me and both the babies).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have much info, I haven't encountered any problems yet.

Oscar has not dropped any feeds, he feeds between 8-12 times a day.

I have had a small drop in supply but can still express.

I had some very mildy sore nipples but nothing serious at all.

My biggest challenge is getting enough sleep as Oscar feeds all night. But he would probably wake even if he was night weaned so that isn't really attributed to BFing.

For me it's easy peasy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezelkat View Post
    I didn't spurt as much at all but I definately still got engorged. I also had the most problems breastfeeding tandem then I did just feeding Ozzy. I had a really hard time attaching Isla - she was hopeless and would only attach after the let down occured (which is great that Ozzy would help with that). And I never ever had mastitis with Ozzy but have tandem (not in the early stages of tandem either - it was after a year of doing it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My experience was that DD1 was a boobie-aholic and we were all surprised when she self weaned suddenly when I hit 12 weeks into the pregnancy (she was nearly 20mths).

Up until then, I was still having some nausea/ms and was tired, but found no real change in my supply and DD1 still loved her morning and evening bf. I still enjoyed bf her too.

In the end it worked out fine for me to have a 6mth break of bf before DD2 was born, but I had considered tandem feeding, as I didn't want DD1 to be weaned due to my pregnancy, luckily she made the decision herself (although pregnancy hormones may have changed the taste and hence contributed to her weaning).

Good luck with your pregnancy and bf!!