+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allyoo View Post
    That depends on the hospital sadly !

For me i was going to have to pay $60 straight off the bat & then if it went over something like 5 pages they charged $1 for every page thereafter.

They also wanted me to pay an extra $60 because Boof was classed as an extra patient so his records couldnt be released at the same time .... I was furious !

Luckily for me i didnt actually go ahead with it because i later found out that my records arent even filled out properly
    Yep charged me too, they wanted another fee for the kids, so i haven't got them ones yet. Mine cost $29 But it was only a smallish file.

If you want them, i would get them. Get someone you know, that is a nurse or something to read through them for you, they are pretty hard to read.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, thats great to know. I will be giving birth in a different hospital with baby number 2, so it will be handy to have all the notes, as im not sure whether they will let me have a vaginal birth again next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes i got mine and it didn't cost me anything as i went to a public hospital.

You will probably have to get someone with a medical background to help you understand it all as medical staff use a lot of terminology and abbreviations.Lucky for me i am a nurse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got copies of both of mine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested on what basis they can charge you such a substantial sum to get hold of your own medical records?
    Surely a person has a right and a responsibility to know all they can about their own health.

OT I realise. Just wondering.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Article about "How to Get Your Hospital Notes"

Hi - I'm from Birthtalk in Brisbane - we run a free support group for women who have had a disappointing, difficult or traumatic birth.

We have written an article called "Retrieving Your Notes - a Healing Step", that includes everything to ask for when you request your notes.

It is at http://www.birthtalk.org/Articles.html.

There are also other articles on this page, including 'Feelings After a Caesarean", and "Birth Trauma".

HTH, and take care,
    Melissa
    birthtalk.org
    makes birth betterTM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats great Lissbee, thankyou very much. I still havent managed to get hold of anyone to get my notes, keep leaving messages, will perservere!

Mischief is offline Love. Dream. Laugh. The shadows simply mean the sun is shining!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Im going to sticky this thread, because there is so much useful information in it on how to obtain your records.

Thank you everyone for your contributions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    After i had my DS the midwives left my record book in the room so i had a read through it. The doctor that came in to check DS out caught me reading it and had a go at me. She told me i had no right to be reading it and i need to ask permission and be given an ok before i could . I ponted out that it was my record.. all about me but she said it was irrelevant. I just though WTF? and ignored her and continued reading..lol. There were rather nasty comments and alot of it was written in a real derogatory way. I guess that may have been why they didn't want me to see it? but still makes no sense seeing as you can obtain a copy of your records. I never actually knew that until i read this thread..lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine cost about $40 and that was incl the extra 50c a page for over 80 pg.
    That's down from $180. They must have changed there policy (so glad i waited)
    That was Westmead, Sydney