Thanks
    Reviews

Default Silent Reflux-help!!

Hi,
    My son is 6mths of age and the doctor diagnosed him with silent reflux yesterday and he is on Losec, I have to crush one tablet (10mg) in 20 mls of water 2-3 times a day and give him 2.5-3mls of that water.
    It worked well yesterday afternoon but come bed time it was the usual waking all night, back arching, screaming.

his typical symptoms are
    back arching
    screaming after feeds and when its sleep time
    twisting on the breast
    trouble burping
    screams when he passes gas
    low weight (has dropped 1.5 percintile in 3 months)

He is fully breastfed however he has begun some solids like pears and apples and baby cereal two times a day.

A friend has told me that her daughter has a soy allergen problem and to cut soy out of my diet but my GP said I didn't need to do that. My friend said that most reflux problems are due to an allergy. We have no allergies in our family (this is my 2nd child). So should i cut dairy and soy out or just use the Losec for the next few days before I go back to the GP?
    I am in a rural area so seeing a Paed etc is difficult.
    Thanks. We are not getting much sleep, are highly stressed and don't have much support as we have no family here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i just realised that you can't crush the tablet, so now I am stiring it in the water to disolve it.
    What solids can I give him that wont cause a bad reaction?
    As from today I am going on a soy free diet to see if that helps. I go to the doctor again Thursday so I can see how it goes til then.
    Should I be seeing a paed or is my GP equipped enough? He seems to think allergies don't matter...

I also was wondering if in the night should i not be feeding him so much? He seems to wake atleast 3 times wanting another feed, and he feeds 3 hourly in the day plus 2 lots of solids, should i be feeding him that much during the day? he seems to want to feed alot...
    Last edited by nic379; 17-03-2008 at 12:22. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

I'm pleased that you have a diagnosis for your son, reflux can be a difficult condition to work out. Well done for that, and also for picking up that you shouldn’t crush his medication.

It may be fine to stay with seeing your gp (especially as it is difficult for you to see a paed) as many children seem to be very well managed with just the gp- it just depends on the situation and how bad the reflux is (and also the level of experience your gp has). Reflux is not always an easy condition to treat (or to deal with), so use your instincts and ask to talk to a paediatrician or paed gastro if you find you need more help.

I always believe that its important for parents to listen to their instincts, which you seem to be doing. It often involves trial and error to find the right treatment for your child, so instincts can help guide you. These are a few ideas that you may like to consider- (remember to trust your instincts and always talk to your doctor if you have any concerns)

Many children with reflux are allergic to Cows milk Protein (CMP) and Soy Milk Protein (SMP), and you could find that if you eliminate these from your diet then he could improve. There are no guarantees though, as allergies and intolerances are not always the problem. Other foods to avoid with reflux are tomatoes, citrus, apples, gassy vegies, caffine, alchole, spearmint, peppermint, fatty food, greasy foods, onions. If you do decide to eliminate these from your diet, please ensure that you get assistance with this (from a doctor or dietitian) as you will need to ensure that all your own dietry needs are managed. You might want to check the packet of rice cereal which you are feeding him, as for some reason there are alot of reflux children which react to this product, especially the rosemary which some tend to have. You can try to cook some arbirio rice and mix the fruit with that, or else you could try him on pototoe, pumpkin, sweet potatoe, ensure that you try only one thing at a time, and try it for at least a week, sometimes there can be what is called a delayed reaction.

Just be aware too, that going on a soy free diet / dairy free diet means you need to learn how to read labels too, which isn’t easy. These products come in all sort of manner and reading the labels can be daunting.

Night time is often a bad time for reflux. To make things easier, you could consider raising the head of his cot and the head of the change table. This may help with his reflux. Also keep him raised up for at least 30 minutes after a feed, and try to never lie him down flat.

Joining a group like RISA can give you a lot of support and a lot of advice from families who deal with this situation everyday (and it can be great to know you aren't alone- just the benefit of talking to others who know what its like can be great, and it doesn't matter where you live either).

With his feeding so often, that is quite common in reflux children, and it may be because he has learnt that feeding helps him feel more comfortable. That can be a really tough cycle to break, and you can only do your best. Perhaps with the medication and change in diet, you will notice that changes. If it doesnt, then please let your doctor know,- and it may help to keep a diary, and record mood, nappies, food, everything you can think of and when you see your doctor maybe they can put together what is happening. Sometimes it can make things more clear, and can help the dr understand too.

Reflux can flare for any occasion, being hot, teething, unwell, allergies, just a bad day, everyday will be different- just so you know, it can help if you are aware of that.

You are doing a fantastic job in an extremely difficult situation. I wish you all the luck in the world, I hope you can come up with a happy medium and things settle down soon.

Marie
    RISA inc.