+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Christening when the parents are not

Hello

I have a question regarding Christening of our little girl Imogen - as my Husband and I are both not Christened can we still have our daughter Christened or do one or both of us have to be Christened as well.

Will wait to hear from anyone that can help me
    Thanks

Hayley

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hayley

It all depends on the church that you would like to have you kids christened. Generally priest/churches prefer you to be a member of that church. There are however other alternatives like a naming ceremony which celebrants can officiate at. They are very beautiful as you would normally have more input into the ceremony than what you would at a church service ( I hope I am not offending any christians).
    Cheers
    Shireen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My understanding is that most churches will christen your child whether you are a member or not, as it is about the child, not about you. However, the religious ceremonies normally involve a commitment to raise the child in that faith, and if you aren't of that faith, it may be a little pointless for you. The best idea is to chat to the local priest or minister of the church you are thinking of and see what they think - most of them aren't out to "convert" you. If it is of concern to you and your husband you could always look at a whole family ceremony where you all get christened together?! Or look into the non-religious options like naming ceremonies.