+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The Colorado and DHEA

Hi bubhubbers,

After our 7th failed attempt, I went to see another FS today for a second opinion. I really liked this FS. A straight-shooter, but he gave me lots of time, answered my questions compassionately and carefully.

The IVF options that FS suggested were:
    1. The Colorado Method.
    With the Colorado, the aim is to improve the lining of the uterus. It involves quite a structured program including baby aspirin, antibiotics, prednisolone, crinone, and estraderm. My FS thought that he would also add Luveris injections too ("just for fun!" At 5 x $175 each, they'd better be hilarious!!).

2. The other option he suggested was a flare cycle after taking DHEA for 4 months. DHEA is a male hormone that aims to replenish your estrogen.

Gulp - We are really at the crossroads now. Do we keep going with IVF? Do we give up?
    Before we make any decisions, I need to ask you lovely ladies for some help.
    Has anyone had any experience with either of these approaches?? I would really appreciate any thoughts/feedback that you may have to contribute.

Rachel

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi Raerae!

Not me personally but someone I know (41)went from producing two eggs at one clinic to ten at another following a protocol using DHEA and "saizen" (growth hormone). She is now about 8 weeks pregnant.

I am changing to the same clinic in order to do a similar protocal as the clinic I'm at at the moment isn't offering this treatment yet.

DHEA is thought to maximize 'egg' quality in 'older' ladies. My GYN said about 80 percent of people respond to it. But how well I don't know?

Worth giving it a shot I reckon.

(My next cycle will be my 6th stim cycle - I think?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Raerae:

As usual, I don't have a real lot to offer - and can't advise on either of these protocols....but I did want to note that your efforts to find answers is really to be admired.... your perseverance really worth acknowledging...good on you I say!

Give up? Well that is a very personal decision for you and DH to make - but hell you have come this far. All options are yet to be exhausted by the sounds.

Yes, I know it is a difficult call to make. Could you really walk away now, certain it was never going to happen? I know it is that one little chance that makes me want to fight on......
    I will shut up now!

Best wishes with your new FS!

BB x

PS: Did you ever receive my PM? I hope it wasn't too boring!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Be aware that most private funds will not pay towards any pharmaceutical that includes DHEA as it has not yet been approved by the 'drugs people' (therapeutic goods or something bizare I can never rememebr).

Chances are it's still an awesome option that you will want to consider... but you may also like to know about the financial comitment ahead of time.

Good Luck- Any extra option is a good option!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your responses.wanttobeamum - wow fantastic stats on your friend. Good luck to you with your new clinic. Being 43 and 5 months now, my new FS wondered if I should wait 4 more months (on DHEA) without trying another stim cycle. hello miss bb - lovely to hear from you. Yes I did get your PM and replied...... but it must be lost in the ether somewhere now. I did think it strange that I hadn't heard back from you. Actually DH and I have been talking tonight and rather than give up we may well consider plan B.........an egg donor!! FS showed me the stats. 60% chance of success at my age with a donated egg. I think it would be hard++ to find a donor but we might try. So sounds like we definitely don't want to give up just yet. I just am not ready to give up on my body yet.Where are you up to now with your new clinic search?Izy - thanks for your sage words. Yes neither of the 2 options is cheap. Time for that second mortgage!!PS Hope this post works. I am using my DH's laptop from France and it has a very QUIRKY keyboard .

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as I understand it (not having yet done a cycle on this protocol) it's about $70 dollars a month for the DHEA. So not that expensive unless the nurse I spoke to quoted wrong. She did say it wasn't that expensive and I always ask. I think the 'Saizen' is rather expensive at about 200 a pop and you need quite a few shots!

You are doing very well on the French keyboard - I can't see one 'q' where an 'a' should be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was thinking the Q A thing... It's so damn hard cause they are so damned similar!

Tres bien fait!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi raerae,

I can't help with the protocols but I have had experience with Luveris and baby aspirin - both worked for me and I got my BFP.

I am currently in the 2ww from my second FET (the previous FET resulted in my gorgeous 10mth old son). BT tomorrow - will let you know

These blasts were created when I was 38. My son was born when I was 39 and I'm 40 now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your messages - you guys are the best! DH and I are going away this weekend and plan to make our decision re our path - egg donor(hmm), Colorado (won't improve my egg quality), or DHEA (adds 4 months but could be what we need)

Can I ask a few Q's:
    Lucky - had you had blasto's before you tried Luveris? I have never got there and am keen to hear if the Luveris helped you get to blasto stage!

Wantabeamum- I will look into the Saizen. Had not heard of that before! THANKS

Izy- as they say in France "mercy buckets" (merci beaucoup) for your appreciation of my typing skills!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had done probably more than 10 cycles by the time I tried Luveris. I had just started to try for blastos at that stage, mainly to weed out the weaker embies to save time. I did have a few 5 day blasto before Luveris but I got more after Luveris - definitely! And they got to blasto in the right amount of time with Luveris too.

Good luck with whatever path you take!