+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has anyone been to Hong Kong with a baby / toddler?

Hi I am taking DS to Hong Kong on Monday for 11 days. If you have been, can you answer soem questions for me please?

Is it worth taking a pram? I have heard it's too crowded but wonder if it might still be a good idea.

Also, how did you cope with car seat? Did you take one? Do taxis have them? Are there options? What is the driving like?

DS will be 9.5 months. What can we do with him there?

How long was the flight? How did you cope?

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to HK just before christmas, but I didnt take any kids.

I can answer some of the questions for you.

Is it worth taking a pram? I have heard it's too crowded but wonder if it might still be a good idea.
    I would take a pram. It really wasnt that crowded during the day, but at night it really comes to life. Especially the markets !!! if you are going to Disneyland I would recommend you take one.

Also, how did you cope with car seat? Did you take one? Do taxis have them? Are there options? What is the driving like?
    Taxis DONT have carseats, but I still think u can take kids in the taxi without one. I saw it all the time.
    The driving is CRAZY... they really are crazy.

DS will be 9.5 months. What can we do with him there?
    Theres so much to do. We went to Disneyland ( cheaper to get into then Australia zoo mind you !) There are so many markets, catch the Light show across the harbour from Kawloon, go visit the Giant Buddah ( take a day tour for that, its a rough drive to do yourself). Check out the HK website that where we found our to do's.

How long was the flight? How did you cope?
    From Brisbane it was a 10 hr flight. We had an hr stopover in Cairns airport. Make sure when you book in at the airport to ask for an EXIT seat. You will have much more room and your DS can move around alot more.

I hope this helps. have a great trip you will love it !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in Hong Kong and my younger brother was born there so I know a bit about the place....but I also took my own DS there when he was about 5 or 6 months old. It is definitely a very busy place, very crowded compared to here, but we took a stroller and used it without too much problem . If you would usually use a sling then you might find that easier, but I didn't use one with DS1 so I just automatically took the stroller with us.

We didn't take a car-seat, but we were not there very long when we took my son - the taxis don't have car-seats to my knowledge, so it is a bit tricky. Driving in HK can be a nightmare too , not that I have tried it, but I remember my mum would only drive out near where we lived, she wouldn't drive anywhere near Central or Kowloon. The MTR is pretty good to get you to most places, and probably a bit more pram-friendly - if you can avoid peak-hour! There is also the Star Ferry to take you between HK Island and Kowloon.

The flight - I think its about 8 hours-ish? Not too bad really, I've done the flight twice with bubs (once just a stop-over to UK) and it was quite bearable - it was getting off that flight and stepping onto a 13 hour leg to UK that I found more painful ! Depending on your flight time, your DS might even sleep some of the way?

Hong Kong itself (in my biased opinion!) is fantastic, plenty of things to do. We just wandered around, did some shopping, went on the Star Ferry...there is always HK Disneyland there now, although I haven't been there myself....Not sure if Ocean Park is still there too? I could write an essay, but I've rambled enough sorry - can you tell I love Hong Kong?! You'll have a great time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks ladies, very much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I went to HK ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO WITH A 5 MONTH BABY

hi there,

I went to HK to visit family with my son on my own without his daddy.

I flew with family on the way there and returned alone with my son. Alll a bit scary but we survived.

Yes take a pram and take a baby bjorn.

When checking in you must hand over your pram so a bjorn is essential in Sydney.

When in HK and returning to Sydney you are allowed to take your pram to the plane door. Very easy.

As of traveling around in HK with a baby. Yes there are no carseats in taxis. You get used to it as it is the way of life. You can get the trains.ferry's etc or walk.

Some parts get crowded but you just have to push your way through do not be afraid.

There are lots of escalators so get used to using them. I was a beginner and over came my fear of using them.

Make sure you take a light pram and one that is easy to pull up and down. We travelled around in and out of taxis You become very good at it.

In regards to sight seeing. Its a lot easier if you have some to help you as I was staying with my sister who had children. If hubby was there it would of been a lot easier.

Not many mother's rooms only in the expensive shopping centres.

If are going to the markets like Stanley try not go on a weekend. Far easier.

Have fun and there is so much to buy for babies and toddlers so cheap. I was heaven.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks we leave in a few hours! Very helpful!