+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Suddenly scared of the Vacuum Cleaner....

My baby boy is suddenly scared of the vacuum cleaner!!!! (I should mention here that he is 11mths old)

I have just finished vacuuming the downstairs level of my unit and he cried the whole way through (except for when i stopped the vac to give him a cuddle of reassurance)...

Has this happened to anyone else?? I have never heard of this happening before!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He's been alright with it before though? Or is this the first chance you've had to vaccuum since he was born just joking....

Vallerie was scared of it when she was about 1 yr old, but to be honest I was working a few nights a week then so she was in Family Day Care every morning, so I just did the vaccuuming when she wasn't there. So I have no real advice for you. Maybe you could get some baby earmuffs LOL sorry, I'm not much help!!

OR get Dad to do the vaccuuming while you take bubs for a walk in the evening or on the weekend!! That way, you get out of the job altogether!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah, it can happen (suddenly becoming scared of something)...........

My youngest DS has always been scared of the vacuum cleaner, so I have to do it when DH is around to entertain him (I like the Queens idea, time for a change) or I do it when he is asleep.

I let my kids play with it, so it's not so scary and when I am about to do the vacuuming I say its going to make a big noise and make some sort of similar noise to prepare him for it.

Hope it's a passing phase for your DS!

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI STU,S CHICK,

Ethan is going through this as well and he is 11 months, iv,e had no problems up untill now and while i was pregnant i worked till 7 months at the school, motel and k- mart cleaning, so i forever had a vacum around me, we used to laugh that he would come out humming like the vacum. So im thinking there hearing developes more or they become more sensitive with feelings, like being scared or sad as i noticed a few times when his older sister has a cry so does he so maybe thats it, but like you it has only started to happen!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep. my lil girl was fine with the vacuum until she was a yr old (she's 14 months now). Then all of a sudden she would cry and get really upset whenever i stick it on.

I just do it just as she's woken up from her nap and is still playing in her cot (can't do it whilst she is asleep coz it wakes her up), Or I do it with her in my arms!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    same here .. Brooke does not like it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing I can put it down to is that I have never done it before with him awake... he has always been asleep! So I guess he has never really heard it going before.

Maybe i need to do it more with him awake... I do have to admit though it is so much easier when he is asleep!!!

I just thought it was strange as I had never heard of it happening before....