+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default City Fertility Center anyone?

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

I have only just become aware of the City Fertility Center - which from what I understand operates out of Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

So does anyone here have any experience of them, or their Melbourne Drs David Wilkinson or Anne Poliness?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi BronteBaby

I go to the Melbourne City Fertility Centre, and see David Wilkinson. He was previously at Melbourne IVF and he is responsible for my dd Lucy (now 2.5). I really, really like David and think he has a great manner which is very reassuring. He always takes the time to talk to me whenever we need to (he has called me early in the morning before surgery if he knows I need to speak to him).

It's a small, boutique clinic that really tries not to be a factory (which Melbourne IVF was a bit like - at least IMHO - they got me a BFP so I can't be too harsh). Every time you pick up meds the nurses take time to see how you're going. It's also really big on giving patients as much info as possible. Eg, after an EPU, a scientist will ring me about 48 hours later and let me know how many eggs fertilised. Obs this can be a negative if there are a lot that fertilise and then you go to the transfer the next day and only a few have survived - it's hard not to be very disappointed. Sometimes I ask them not to call if I'm feeling a bit vulnerable.

I've had a lot of downs last year with IVF, and sometimes have felt like the nurses should be getting a bit sick of me, but they never do.

I really like David and the clinic and highly recommend them.

Feel free to ask me anything else. Hope this helps.

Sonja

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bronte

I've been a patient of CFC Brisbane since July last year. They are absolutely wonderful; the staff are all so caring and understanding. I've just completed my 4th cycle and I just know it is going to be the one that produces a baby for us!!!

All the best with CFC in Melbourne.

All the best
    Jeni

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jeni and Sonja:

This is great to hear your recommendations...it might be wishful thinking on my behalf, but maybe these FSs realised there was space for a clinic that was small enough to care....

I am currently waiting to receive various bits of info from them in the post...but I think there is nothing better than actual real life comments/experiences/recommendations (or not!)

Do you mind me asking how old you both are?

As I am an oldie, and I was allowed to join a program, it seems my clinic doesn't care too much for the older woman patient....or at least that is how I explain the treatment and horror delays we have experienced!

CFC also is advertising a guaranteed 10 waiting time to get to see an FS.

Thanks!

BB x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi BronteBaby,

I have been with Melbourne CFC since May last year. David is my FS and I am very happy with his professionalism, his care and his sense of humor. I know that may sounds weird but I find it important in a medical person. As Sonja says David spends as much time needed answering questions and I have never felt my questions are unwarrented, even when they've been a bit kooky.

The nurses are Joe, Elizabeth and Louise and they are all easy to contact, keen to give me support, info etc.

The scientists are Petra, Kerry and ... ( I forget the third one she is really shy.)

The admin staff are nice but a bit harrassed. Gemma, who runs the front desk and accounts seems preoccupied and I have heard she is under a lot of pressure from the Brisbane centre which is the management. She can be a little abrupt. Lisa handles David's accounts and they are all nice although I find their accounting system has been a problem for me.

I think they are pricey compared to other clinics.

I like the Avenue Hospital that they use for egg pick up. The staff are good and getting ready to leave area is peaceful and professional.

Asha

Thanks
    Reviews

Default City fertility centre

Hi Brontebaby,

I am with CFC in Brisbane.

I find the staff just beautiful, very caring and knowledgable.

My Dr has a great success rate .

They have always told me not to be concerned as they have had older women than I fall pregnant and remain very positive.

I am 40.

All the best with your journey, I hope it is a short one.

pippy xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    BronteBaby

I am 36. David will know better than anyone but I believe that the statistics out of CFC have a slightly higher success rate than normal.

Good luck.

Sonja

Thanks
    Reviews
    Again...thank you everyone - this has been wonderful receiving your responses!

Sonja: 36? You're only a young'un! You know, I don't think I am even worried (at this point) about success rates. I'd just like calls returned by clinic staff, and to get FS answers to (what I think are) important questions as something more than a shrug of the shoulders. I certainly could have done without the level of distress things have gotten to in the last 4 weeks. It all could have been avoided with some basic customer service and patient care....CFC sounds great!

Pippy: It's funny, as an 'older' woman I entered this knowing my chances were low. I accept that. What I don't understand is why my clinic has to beat me around the head (it seems) about this. They allowed me into the program, took our money, said we have to hurry....now they delay us at every turn....every time my FS mentions my age he says "FORTYTHREE!!!!!!" it's horrible! I reckon if clinics believe they can't help, aren't interested, then they shouldn't accept women of my age into IVF. Naturally, my paranoia leds me to think the poor service and follow up has been through being put at the end of an age-related queue!

Asha: SO many questions...but unfair to ask while you are 2wwing! Pre-occupied admin staff I could cope with...it is when the FS & nurses are that way that there could be trouble! I absolutely know what you mean about their humour and professionalism...it is sooo important. Our FS made a rather unfortunate remark about another of his fellow FSs at our appt. This not only cast doubt on the other FS, but seriously makes us wonder (even more than we already were!) about our FS.

Changing clinics completely is not without its problems...more paperwork, appts and the like - not to mention another upfront payment without enough time to wait around for the 1st one to be returned. As we already travel several hours to get to appts (and are looking at adding more hours travel time to change clinics) we feel we have invested so much time already in the current organisation. If we don't manage the change over well we could really stuff up and find ourselves with more months of delays....then again if we don't act soon we could continue to remain gridlocked by our current fertility organisation, our clinic, & our FS! Gee I wish their were advisers who would help navigate this stuff!

Thanks everyone!

BB x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Brontebaby,

just wanted to say I have been reading the responses to this thread with much interest, as I too am considering changing clinics.

I'm with Melb IVF currently, and I am just at the end of an unsuccesful 2WW, the first cycle I've done in over 3 years. The most stressful thing I've found about the cycle was the rushing and the lack of communication. I'm 34, and I don't get any info or time either. Infact it seems there is nothing that annoys my FS more, than when I ask a question.

I really hate the whole factory line experience, and how at the Royal Women's, I was in a waiting room packed full with women, and I swear my ET transfer took about 5 minutes. We were just in and out the door. I had no idea about how many embies there were or anything until I got there.

I can't help but compare it to the last successful cycle in 2005, whereby more time and care was taken during the ET.

I'm depressed as it is because I got a BFN, but what is depressing me more is the thought of going through that again. I can't help but feel that they just don't give a **** - though I am feeling pretty flat at the moment.

I've had my BT on Wed, which would have been negative, but still no call from Melb IVF to confirm, so I have to chase them about this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Lilly I am really sorry to hear this!

Here I am complaining away....and I only got as far as a cancelled stim cycle!!! Yet, I feel kinda humiliated about various bits of treatment we got (or didn't get!) from our clinic...going through the horrors of a 2ww - getting a BFN - and still not getting personal treatment is extremely poor. Although I can only begin to imagine what the experience has been like for you, I really do feel for you - so will the other gals here too, I am sure!

Yes, your factory assembly line image is apt. My short experience has shown me that the larger clinics seem to have lost sight of a few basics. Why can't they employ case managers, information officers, and hand holders to help with the process? I hated being too frightened to phone my clinic 'cos the staff were so busy and annoyed about being interupted. My calls were never returned, and I now have DP do any calling...even still it took us 2 weeks to get the nerve to phone in after cancellation.

Also, I believe there is room for a skilled (independent of the existing clinics) woman/women to get together and become IVF advocates..people who could represent patients, advise them, counsel them, liase with the clinics and so on...I'd gladly pay for such a service.

Sorry Lilly, I have got off the point here.

The sad fact is that in order to fulfill our baby dreams, we need these clinics....and it seems we need the clinics more than they need us. So until there is a shift in the power base, it looks like we have to find ways to cope with this...for people like myself learning to deal with the clinics is going to be an uphill battle.

BB x