+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ask Aunty Sodor

Hi Ladies and Gents

I have started this thread as a help section for cleaning the home using natural everyday products in the home.

Feel free to ask questions on removing stains etc and I will do my best to resource the best possible way.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cleaning and stain removal using baking soda

Baking soda tips

Baking soda (or bicarbonate of soda, as it is also known) is a naturally occurring material, present in most organic life forms. It can be "made" from sodium carbonate, or soda ash. The soda ash is dissolved in a carbon dioxide rich solution, and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) precipitates out.

As its name suggests, baking soda can be used for cooking. It can also be used medicinally, and, as we will discuss in this article, for cleaning.

In the kitchen

The kitchen is the most likely place to find baking soda. Don't stop with using it for baking, though!

1. A box or small bowl of baking soda in the refrigerator, freezer, or any cupboard will keep away unpleasant odors.

2. Similarly, baking soda will keep away garbage odors; sprinkle the bottom of the pail, and then sprinkle again after you put a new bag in.

3. Grease fires can be put out by sprinkling them with baking soda.

4. To clean surfaces, sprinkle baking soda on a damp cloth. Wipe, then rinse with clean water.

5. To remove stale smells from food containers, rinse out with hot water and baking soda. If the smell persists, let the container soak overnight in the baking soda and water mixture.

6. To clean silver, use a paste of 3 parts baking soda to one part water. Rub the paste onto each item, then rinse with warm water and dry with a soft cloth.

7. To remove scuff marks or grease spills from the floor, sprinkle with baking soda and then wipe with a warm, damp cloth. This is even safe for no-wax floors!

8. For burnt-on food in the bottom of pots, sprinkle with baking soda, then add hot water. Let soak overnight; the dried on food will come loose much more easily.

In the Bathroom

9.To remove stubborn stains from most surfaces, use a baking soda paste (3 parts baking soda, one part water). Apply, let stand, then scrub or wipe clean.

10. Hairbrushes and combs can be cleaned in a baking soda solution.

11. To avoid clogged drains, pour 1/4 cup baking soda down weekly. Rinse through with hot water.
    All Around the House

12. To remove scents from a carpet, sprinkle with baking soda. Let stand for at least fifteen minutes, then vacuum. Repeat as needed.

13. If there is a smoker in the house, put baking soda in the bottom of each ashtray to keep away some of the stale smoke smell.

14. Baking soda in the litterbox will help prevent odors.

15. To quickly clean pets and remove "wet dog" odor, sprinkle with baking soda and brush out their fur.

16. To help remove spills, blot as much as possible. Then clean as you normally would. When finished, sprinkle with baking soda. Vacuum. This will decrease the chance that some of the spilled item will remain in the carpet and cause unpleasant odors later.

17. Children's toys can be cleaned using 1/4 cup baking soda in 1 quart warm water. Submerge in this mixture (or wipe with a cloth dampened in it), then rinse with clear water.

In the Laundry

18. Replace half of each measure of laundry detergent with baking soda to keep clothing fresh.

19. To remove grease stains, either add baking soda to the wash load or pretreat the stains with a baking soda paste.

20. Pretreat diapers in their pail with baking soda. This will keep odors from becoming overpowering between washings.

21. Baking soda increases the effectiveness of chlorine bleach. Add 1 / 2 cup to your laundry, along with the usual amount of bleach.

22. If you keep a laundry hamper, add some baking soda every day to keep the hamper from smelling between emptyings.

Outside the House (Yard and Garage)

23. Baking soda can be used to help clean up grease spills.

24. To remove burnt food from the grill, sprinkle with baking soda, then soak. After several hours, the charred pieces will come loose easily.

25. Lawn furniture can be easily cleaned with a rinse of 1/4 cup baking soda in 1 quart warm water.

26. The children's pool can be cleaned and have mildew removed by washing with baking soda in warm water.

27. Before packing away your camping gear after a trip, sprinkle with baking soda.
    Last edited by Jax Tellers Old Lady; 09-02-2008 at 15:27.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cleaning with Lemons

Why Clean With Lemons?

Smell

The citrus smell of a lemon is refreshing and invigorating. For many people a lemon smell has come to symbolize cleanliness. Most major cleaners on the market today have a lemon or a citrus scented version for consumers to enjoy.

Acid

Lemons are acidic and can provide some antibacterial and antiseptic properties for cleaning.

How To Clean With Lemons

Copper

Clean copper-bottomed pots and pans with lemon juice. Copper fixtures can also benefit from a lemon juice cleaning. Cut a lemon in half. Dip it in some salt, and clean spots from your copper.

Add To Vinegar

Vinegar can be a great cleaning ingredient, but many people dislike the vinegar smell. Adding lemon juice to vinegar when cleaning can help neutralize the vinegar smell.

Countertops

Countertop stains can be removed by allowing lemon juice to sit on the stain for a few minutes.
    Scrub the area with baking soda and watch the stains disappear. Don't leave the lemon juice sitting for too long. It can be powerful stuff.

Drains

Lemon rinds can be ground in the garbage disposal to freshen the drain. Hot water with a little lemon poured down a drain will also freshen the drain.

Bleaching

Lemon juice acts as a natural bleaching agent. Put lemon juice onto white linens and clothing and allow them to dry in the sun. Stains will be bleached away.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default The many uses of baby wipes

These are handy and effective ways of cleaning using baby wipes.

1. Stain remover – If you spilled your food or drink on clothes, furniture or the carpet, don’t despair. Baby wipes work wonderfully to remove stains. Just take one from the box and dab the stain until the stain is lifted. Best of all, no smelly sprays or harmful chemicals were used to clean up!

2. Remove crayon from walls – If your budding Rembrandt got creative all over your living room wall, don’t buy expensive chemicals. Erase the crayon with a baby wipe.

3. Remove stray hairs from pets – If your shaggy pet is shedding all over your carpet, give him a daily rubdown with a baby wipe. This will remove all the excess hair and keep it off the furniture and rugs.

4. Remove deodorant stains – If you’ve ever been late for work because you have to change your clothes after they’ve become stained with unsightly deodorant marks, you’ll appreciate this one. Baby wipes remove the white marks left behind by most deodorants. Just wipe and you’re on your way.

5. A scrap booker’s best friend – If you’re into scrap booking, baby wipes are an important tool. Baby wipes will clean off your rubber stamps and have them looking like new. In addition, they’re great for cleaning glue and ink off the hands.

6. Shine your shoes – Use baby wipes to clean and shine your leather shoes so they’ll sparkle.

7. Remove telltale lipstick from the collar – Thanks to baby wipes, no one has to know your business but you and your significant other. If you’ve mistakenly gotten lipstick on your clothing, gently rub the stain with a baby wipe until the lipstick disappears.

8. Keep a box in the car – Use them to clean spills, wipe windows, clean the upholstery and dashboard, and to keep children clean after snacks on a long car ride.

9. Dust – Use to dust televisions, stereos, remote controls, other appliances and items around the house where dust accumulates due to static electricity.

10. Shine your shower – and your bathtub too! Use wipes after each shower to remove soap scum and prevent future buildup.

11. Remove makeup – Baby wipes are a gentle, refreshing way to remove makeup, leaving your face feeling refreshed. They are especially handy for this when you’re traveling and don’t want to pack extra cleansers and cosmetics.

12. Remove scuff marks – Can’t get those scuff marks off your floors? Give them a wipe. You may need a little elbow grease but those nasty little black marks will be gone in no time.

13. Is your floor a sticky mess? Once again, baby wipes to the rescue. If spilled soda or sticky food is making it hard to walk in your kitchen, give them a wipe.

14. Remove marks made by a felt tip pen or marker – If you act quickly, you can use a baby wipe to remove marker stains before they set in and make a permanent stain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi

What a great thread!

I have a question, what's the best thing to clean gold jewellery with?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    o0o0o white vinegar to clean them? awesome may just have to try that! my engagement ring is to be checked every 6 months at the jewlers we got it from to clean and check the diamons etc, thats nearly coming up or maybe ill just clean it with vinegar

Thanks
    Reviews
    I clean mine two ways.

The first way is by using a soft bristled toothbrush I apply a small amount of toothpaste and brush it on. Once the paste has dried I give the item a good rub and it comes up great.

You can also soak in a bit of detergent and warm water and then lightly scrub with a toothbrush.

Both work well and my jewellery comes up great!

Lastcenturymum is offline I'm on a break from modding (it wont last forever ... I'll be BACK!!)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a question...what time will you be at my house to clean it for me tomorrow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastcenturymum View Post
    I have a question...what time will you be at my house to clean it for me tomorrow?
    Sorry Aunty Sodor doesnt do housecalls

Bron is offline Accentuate the positive
    WINNER 2006 Most Politically Correct Member
    Winner 2007 & 2008 Funniest member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow, your house must be sparklearkly.

*looks at own house*