+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    I don't understand the whole 'concept'. To me it's just common sense?

I also think the Baby Led Weaning is a strange label for it seeing as it's about solids not breastfeeding etc, it makes it confusing as to what it's about. ....

I'm with you Allyoo and V8.

I mix my child rearing especially eating with a combination of common sense/research/mother knows best and what my child is "telling" me".

*sigh* I wish I knew where I left my kids' manuals... then I would have all the answers - for my kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read again and again that the gagging is ok and normal and that she wont choke, but when she gets food back there and starts to gag, I panick, I really cant handle it, I am scared that she WILL choke, and I cant get her out of the highchair fast enough to get the food out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nuddle View Post
    I read again and again that the gagging is ok and normal and that she wont choke, but when she gets food back there and starts to gag, I panick, I really cant handle it, I am scared that she WILL choke, and I cant get her out of the highchair fast enough to get the food out.

Then hold off on the finger foods until you are BOTH ready.

I'm sure by school age (you've got a couple of kiddies there), she'll be feeding herself quite well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oscar used to gag all the time, it never really bothered me, he always brought it back out himself.

I agree, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't. It's pretty simple.

General note: Not directed at anyone in particular.

As I have already stated this is not a do-it-this-way-and-this-way-only thread. I am posting information from those who are interested.

There is no need to get defensive about the way you do it, there is no need to criticise this approach in order to justify your own approach.
    Last edited by stellarella; 06-01-2008 at 16:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for that, I had never really heard of baby lead weaning. While I really tend to do my own thing and have never really parented under a particular style or label, I still really enjoy reading about what other mums do.
    My own style is probally somewhere between food and finger, for my last 2 babies who I didn't introduce solids until after 7 months, and it was finger and spoon feeding from the start.

Thanks for the info, hopefully more people understand it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    didnt think I was defensive, it was meant to be a question on how to deal with that, thanks for the information

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yep i just learnt what i felt comfortable giving Boof & also what he was happy having.

Also remember they can choke at any age not just when first starting solids ! Boof did around the 12mth mark & it totally freaked me out !

Just go with your gut !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nuddle I said General Note

General note:

As I have already stated this is not a do-it-this-way-and-this-way-only thread. I am posting information from those who are interested.

There is no need to get defensive about the way you do it, there is no need to criticise this approach in order to justify your own approach.

It wasn't directed at you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The difference between choking and gagging is noise. If there is no noise, then it's choking. Gagging is the body's natural reflex to expel food that is too big. If you are stressed about choking, then hold bubby on your lap to feed her. Or sit her in the highchair without the tray, and perhaps without the straps (obviously as long as you are sitting right in front of her watching her at all times).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep gagging and choking are two different things. The gagging never really bothered me, or my babies.