+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF first timer

Hi - I am going to be an IVF first timer in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I have been doing IUI for 5 months, with no success. Is there anything I should look out for - any tips - any advice - anything??
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent a couple of years going through fertility treatment, first with IUI and then IVF. I was lucky that I became pregnant on my second round of IVF and am now mother to a wonderful (most of the time ) five-month-old daughter.

My advice to you would be to listen to your doctor (do everything s/he suggests that might help give you a better chance of falling pregnant), try and stay positive (I know this is hard), make sure you have lots of support and, very importantly, try not to let the baby thing take over your life.

I really hope things work out for you...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there, finally someone out there is in the same boat and wants to chat. My name is Claire. I have just started my second cycle of IVF. My first was in 2002, I was going in with the attitude "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". I was blessed first time round with a beautiful boy who is almost 2 (09/05/03). We had 2 embryos frozen to try with later. 6 mths ago we tried with them but no luck, we lost them before we even got to the transfer, I was devistated but figured I had been blessed once. It has taken us 6mths, alot of talking and saving but we decided to try again. I am half way through my injections due to have my egg pick-up done this thursday and transfer on saturday. The best advise I can give is try your hardest not to stress, take it in your stride, be positive. If you want to chat my email is cowsell@bigpond.net.au. if not hope to get more messages.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks for the advice

Hi Evo and claire&declan,
    thanks so much for the advice. I know it will all be well worth it in the end! Claire - would love to chat further. Will send you an email when I get more time to write.
    Thanks again,
    neridap

Thanks
    Reviews

Default advise on starting IVF

Hi I too am a IVF mum to a little 11 month old boy, yes it is a little scary but be positive, ask questions and hang in there. We too did IUI with no luck but IVF worked for us. Get counseling if you both need too there is nothing wrong with crying on someone elses shoulders. We did.
    If it doesn't work the first time (I'm crossing everything crossable possible!) that it will work don't give up (if your finances allow you.) because at times all you want to do is bang your head on a brick wall especialy when the world around you is on their fifteenth child. It will work, be as positive as you can and also be honest and talk to your partner we found that helped.
    Good luck, keep your heads up high and don't give up.
    All the best
    Jo

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks Jo

Thanks for the advice. It is great to feel the support. I went in today for the day 4 scan, and found that we may not be able to go ahead this month as there seems to be a dominant follicle that may try and 'control and dominate' any new follicles, no matter how many/much stimulating drugs that I take. Not the start that I was looking for. I will know for sure in a few days when I have another scan to see if the follicle is actually a cyst; a dominant follicle, or a left over follicle from last month? Has anyone heard of this before?
    thanks again,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear but keep your heads up and take this month to relax and look forward to the next month fingers crossed and good luck!
    All the best
    Jo

Thanks
    Reviews

Default new to site

hi neridap, this is my first post to this site. i'm also starting my first ivf cycle (EPU in early july) after 5 unsuccessful IUI attempts this year. one dr i saw made me feel like i was the first person in history to try 5 IUI's so was relieved when i saw your message. i'd love to keep in touch with you so we can support each other through ivf. i haven't heard of a dominant follicle before. have you had the next scan yet? how did that go?
    Also, does anyone else out there have friends tell them that it is "exciting" to be starting ivf? maybe it's just me, but i don't feel excited, it's more a feeling of massive anxiety and fear.
    thanks for the opportunity to chat on this site!
    regards, kcheno.
    Last edited by e's mumma; 11-06-2005 at 06:40.