+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default transition to bed from cot

We are preparing for our new arrival using our existing cot and are trying to transition our 21 month DD into a bed.

We are having trouble with her getting out of bed during the day (fortunately not an issue at night when she should be having a sleep.

Do they just work out that they are grumpy little so and so's when not having a day sleep or are there alternatives to try. I would rather not have to completely empty her room of books, etc (as cute as it is to see that she has gone to the bookshelf and selected several books, taken them back to bed and is then reading them).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe she's not tired?? If she's happy to just rest quietly in her room reading some books, what's the problem?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default if only

ahh that does sound relaxing but - reading books means squealing, generally having a rather raucous time, followed by playing with teddies, wandering around the room, climbing onto the chair, climbing off the chair and generally going from a state of average tiredness to overtired manic-ness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you could read her stories at naptime, have some quiet time together before putting her in bed and sitting with her,reading stories until she goes to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    well we already read stories together for around 20mins (or half an hour) with her cup of milk in my lap (her not the cup of milk!). Perhaps I will try putting her to bed and then sit next to her to read (though the quiet reading time is such a nice extended cuddle for her mummy!)

thanks for your thoughts though

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    mmm umm no real solutions - other than letting her do what she does as long as she stays in the room! ..

I just introduced a sticker chart for my little man .. and its working wonders .. everytime that mummy walks in .. and he a) hasn't called out ..and b) he is quiet in bed (reading or not reading .. quiet is the important bit) he gets a sticker - 10 stickers on the chart = his chosen prize ..

it took him basically one sticker sheet to figure it out .. now he LOOOOOVES it .. gives him control (and I used it christmas shopping the other day 10 stickets = a ride on one of those $2 rides ... and butter wouldnt melt in his mouth .. he loved the control of the sticker sheet ... )

maybe a reward chart for staying in bed??? (you have to start small .. like 2 minute intervals .. but it worked for us)

xx
    JEn

Thanks
    Reviews
    sounds interesting - perhaps a sticker reward sheet is the way to go...

haven't used anything like that before (dare I say I was hoping to rely on common sense!?)

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another option is to literally wear her out in the morning so that she falls asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow. An obstacle course in the backyard, or a mini trampoline, or some kind of outdoor activity which uses up heaps of energy, then inside into a darkened room with a cup of milk (the milk is warm, yeah? Warm milk contains triptofan (sp?) which induces sleep naturally) with a cuddle, story, etc.

Or what about one of those light projector thingo's that projects lights on the wall/ceiling, plays soft music etc?

To be honest, I've not had a problem with day sleeps but I did have a problem getting my daughter into bed at night, and I would put a DVD on for her. It kept her in bed, she rested even if she wasn't sleeping. It's not everyone's ideal, but it's an option.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deanbean View Post
    sounds interesting - perhaps a sticker reward sheet is the way to go...

haven't used anything like that before (dare I say I was hoping to rely on common sense!?)

thanks
    common sense?? with a child?? you mean .. like discussions and resolutions funny wouldn't that be LOVELY though .. sigh .. imagine just saying - 'honey .. you do realise that you are only cranky because you are tired?' "oh yes mum - thats why I need to go and have a rest - I'll wake in a few hours feeling much better' we can dream cant we???

I think you either have to exhaust her (as queenie suggested) .. which may well also exhaust you or .. make it worth HER while to do what you want .. you can always 'fade out' the sticker sheet later (replacing every other sticker with just verbal praise till she doesn't need the stickers anymore) ..

good luck

xx
    Jen