+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Gaps in children's dental health

Gaps in children's dental health

Peter Jean

December 17, 2007 12:00am

ALMOST half of six-year-olds have cavities in their teeth and 12-year-olds have poor dental health, worse that children from parts of Africa.

A report by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare to be released today also found 12-year-olds had worse dental health than children in Uganda.

More than 47 per cent of six-year-olds had cavities in their baby teeth.

More than 42 per cent of 12-year-olds had at least one cavity in their permanent teeth.

The AIHW ranked the dental health of Australian children the seventh best out of 44 countries, including 30 developed nations.

Australia scored lower than Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Barbados, England and Wales, Switzerland and Uganda.

The AIHW found Queensland children had the worst dental health in Australia, probably because of a lack of water fluoridation there
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...06-662,00.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Scarey hey! My six yr old recently had 4 fillings and a tooth pulled out! I was really shocked her teeth were that bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I seen this on the news! Apparently QLD's teeth was the worst of Australia. Scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I took missy for her first visit to the dentist when she turned 2. He said he will see her again in 12 months. She is nearly due to go again. I guess I'll take Mr 14 months in too since he has 12 teeth for his first check up at the same time. Last time the cost was only $8.