+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow HannahHopesMummy you will be very busy.
    We planted climbing beans, dwarf beans, corn, tomatoes, beetroot, radish, swede, lettuce, assorted herbs (there names escape my memory), capsicum,silverbeet.
    We bought a little greenhouse so i planted lots of seeds in there, as the shops around bundy were very poor in the veggie seedling department...
    We have a passionfruit that gives us lovely fruit now, i planted another 2 on the chookfence too, as they groe great up here.
    We too planted a Mulberry Black one, also Avocado, paw paw and an olive tree.

Thanks foe the invite, i just live too far away

Happy gardening....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the veggie garden, we have so many self seeding tomatoes, it's not funny, various sqash, pumpkins, eggplant, watermelon, rockmelon, rocket, peas, beans, capsicums, chillis (3 types), lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, beets, carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, potaoes, sweet potatoes. In the herb garden we have rosemary, lavender, thyme, wormwood, sage, oregano, chives, basil, corriander, parsley, chamomile and chervil. I have also planted a mulberry, rasberry, two kiwis, cherry, passionfruit, fig, fejoa, strawberries
    , black currants, blueberries, loganberries, bay tree, various natives, marigolds, calandulla, nasturtiums aloe and various others that I've forgotten.

No wonder I'm banned from the nursery and hubby has hidden my Diggers Club catalogue!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried and tested tha earth choice fabric conditioner and it gets my thumbs up. My clothes feel wonderful on my skin and no reactions to it from Hannahs skin!!
    Today I heard that there is a possability of more than average rain for WA at the end of feb and most of march.... the garden will be so happy, I just hope it doesnt flood us like over east. I better go buy a few more buckets for the leaks in our ceiling because it looks like we'll be here through winter while we wait for our house to be built.
    My pumpkin has finally got a female flower and we will soon have a yummy pumpkin to eat and seeds to save. My aloe vera transplants are also budding new shoots after sitting dormant for the past few months. Though I'm sad to say that my peach may not make it to the farm as I think it is rootbound in its pot and I cant find any bigger ones for a decent price.
    I'm waiting impatiently for my diggers membership confirmation and my new grassroots mag to come in the mail. I can't wait to start ordering my seeds!! Also waiting in the cuballing shire papers to come through for the building approval application. Thank god we got blue ink stamp from an architect or they would just laugh at us and send us on our way. Just a few more quotes to obtain then it's off to the bank to get things rolling along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello

Thought I would pop in, just found this thread.

I have been slowly converting my family to natural or organic products.

I use organic laundry liquid from 'Absolute Organics' in Gwelup (Perth). I too use Earth's Choice Fabric Softener and their dish liquid. They are not certified organic products so and their website says they are made by Natures Organics..so im a bit confused there.

I have various other organic products around my house.

The biggest problem I find is I can spend more than 5x my normal shopping bill switching to organic. I know it is worth it in the end but hubby is not happy with the amount it is costing.

Does anyone have any cheap ideas???

I currently go to the Saturday markets @ City Farm Markets in East Perth to get meat and fruit and vege.
    I got to Abolute Organics in Gwelup, Perth for some of my fruit and vege too and legumes etc.

I found out the other day that Coles now have their own Organic range. I tried the 4 bean salad and that was nice. I bought some other canned items too that i have yet to try.

New Norcia Bakery in Mount Hawthorn does organic sourdough bread which is yummy but pricey. Bohdi's bakery and Margaret River bakery also do organic breads.

I have started growing my own veges and some strawberries, we live in a villa so space is very limited.

I would love to swap notes with everyone to try make this transition period a bit easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just me again...

i just went to the shops and looked at the Natures Organics brands...unfortunately and stupidly they are not organic...and not good for you at all.

The hand wash (minus the soap free one), the shampoo, conditioner and body wash all contain SLS which is the ingredient that causes skin irritations.

The dishwashing liquid contains it too. Its a foaming agents.

I thought it was a bit suss that it was so cheap. I guess the true organic items are expensive for a reason.

Ill keep searching and maybe we can make a list of products/brands that are 100% organic, organic certified, SLS free, and natural.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default welcome!!!

Welcome to the thread angelbaby013!!
    Eart Choice is greywater safe so I believe that if it is safe to use on the veges then it's safe to use at home!! As to cheaper options for food... grow your own... I'm in Perth also so email me and maybe we can catch up some time and chat hippy talk!! sorry all that i haven't been on to update, but as you all know spare time is far and few in between with kids!! I hope you're al doing well!!
    Tessa

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's great to see this thread alive again!

Re the hints on switching to organic-yes, it can be expensive and it does take time to find the most suitable and/or cheapest options.
    Most of the time, I can buy my regular things such as milk, butter etc...in an organic form but every now and then when things are a bit tight, I just have to make do with regular items. Milk seems to be the big one. We go through about 15-20 litres a week (depends on whether DH is on a milk binge!) and there is occasionally a day in the week where regular Pauls has to do, but I have accepted that.
    We are fortunate to have an organic F & V shop that sells at almost cost price. The owner has his heart very deeply entrenched in organic and biodynamic living and just wants to share it around!

We are moving house in about two months (just down the laneway to the 2nd house on the property) but I am starting to plan out my new vege garden. I have been gathering chook manure over the last few months and have "earmarked" one of the big horse manure piles out the back.
    I have a friend who is very keen to help me set it up.

I will have a lot of old fence posts to use as my foundations for the garden but I am not sure on some of them. The treated pine I can identify immediately but some of the really old ones I am not 100 % on. They are only going to be disposed of so I really want to utilise them and build a new sandpit with them too.
    I am wondering if I use them but line the inner sides of the beds with black plastic or similar. Would this work do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default sandpit liner

I think it would work for the wood leaching chemicals into your sandpit, but personally I would also worry about the plastic too. Unfortunately we cannot avoid chemicals in society... just about everything is made from harmful chemicals nowadays!!
    Not everything we eat is available as organic so atm if we cant grow it we buy as natural as possible... things will change when we get to that farm of ours!!
    Just to get a little more political may I say.... YEAHY for the suggestion of $1 surcharge for plastic bags at shops and I also say... MAKE IT $2, OR EVEN $3!! anything to discourage plastic in our environment and daily lives.
    Tessa

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am with you on the surcharge being high! Our society seems to revolve around money, so if they are only available at a high cost, it should only be a very short time before we see the disgusting things gone from shops forever!

I was just thinking about the garden again (can you tell I'm excited!) and I could probably pack straw between the sides and the soil. I might experiment on a small scale this weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HannahHopesMummy View Post
    YEAHY for the suggestion of $1 surcharge for plastic bags at shops and I also say... MAKE IT $2, OR EVEN $3!! anything to discourage plastic in our environment and daily lives.
    Tessa

i was behind some crotchety old guy in the supermarket last week and he was hassling the checkout girl to double bag all his stuff because 'oh they're making bags so thin these days, they just rip' i felt like telling him that if he used a green bag they're much stronger and he's not using twice the plastic he needs to! grrr... old people LOL