+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks for the tips on the books Tessa.

I have been devouring books over the last few months by an author called Barbara Kingsolver.

Now, they are mostly fictional books but she has written a book of essays which outlines her beliefs in life and I am so impressed with her and her family's self-sufficiency! It is called Small Wonder and is really worth having a look at as a source of inspiration for what is possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oooh! I am a total novice at this gardening without chemicals stuff (actually a gardening novice completely). But I have ben successfully growing tomatos for a few years now -
    If you drink real coffee, tip the coffee grinds around your tomato plants, it is a natural slug killer. This works, but you have to do it every day pretty much, but we drink coffee everyday!!
    That is probably general knowledge though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the book idea, I will have to have a look for it. With moving to 90 acres next year our vision is to eventually be fully self sufficient.

I hadn't heard of the coffee thing, i put tea bags and coffee grinds into the compost though.
    Another great slug and snail killer is beer!! Put a small jar or similar slightly in the ground with the top level to the top of the dirt, pour some beer in the bottom and wait for the morning to roll around... the slugs etc are attracted to the beer and fall in. When they cant climb out they die blissfully in a hazy cloud of drunkness!! hahaha... oh how I love the misery of slugs and snails!!
    Happy Gardening..
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so sorry... how rude of me. Im so excited new ppl are arriving to this thread that I forgot to welcome Nex and Beth82.
    So... Hi and WELCOME...

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries, this is a great thread. I think I like the idea of the slugs dying happily sozzled than hyped up on coffee
    I also got the book 'a slice of organic life' which was mentioned. I told EVERYONE that I wanted it - I love it, it's got some great ideas. I want to do the potato thing - my Dad grows potatoes in tyres. He starts them in one tyre, then adds an old tyre and more soil as needed, then you can go as high as you need to. I also like that it is recycling something so harmful to the planet in a useful way.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default tyres

Old tyres are also great to use as a rabbit detterant. If you place them around young trees while they are small and suseptable the rabbits will not go into them to nibble, they hate feeling trapped in there so avoid them at all costs. When the trees are big enough to withstand a little nibble here and there you can just lift them up over the plant to use for another.
    Im trying to collect some for my planned fruit orchard.
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy New Year everybody!!
    Have you many plans for the garden and home in the new year?
    Not long until we get to that farm!!!
    Hanna's first birthday, my first real mothers day, our wedding... So many things to do and to come in this new year.
    Well... Im off to sit and contemplate in the vege patch!!!
    Happy Gardening...
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Today I found that our local IGA supermarket stocks Earth Choice fabric conditioner... Yeahy.
    I was so bummed when I found out just how bad fabric conditioner is for the environment because I like my clothes softer than what suburban scheme water leaves them! Now I can use it again because I found a friendly one. I'll let you know my opinion of its performance when I do the next load of washing and actually end up putting it out on the line.

How was everyones new years?... Any resolutions made and kept or broken?
    Tessa...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent thread....

We just built 2 new veggie patches and have planted crops for this season. ( fingerscrossed they grow).
    We also have 2 chooks and get 2 eggs a day, so yummy fresh eggs.

I bought our seeds from Eden Seeds too, they sell the yellow variety of tomato. I will tell you what they are like when they grow...

A good DVD ( from library ) is Gardening Australia's one on Organic Gardening / Permaculture with Josh Byrne. A good book and a good giggle is "Urban Dreams, Rural Realities.

Well again what a great thread...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome 3cherubs!!
    I found that dvd was a good one too!
    Though some things wouldnt be applied on our block because of the type of beds i will use and our grey water set up.
    The best thing about it for me was it's a garden in Perth (where we are) so was more relevant then the tassie info from the other guy.

What crops have you got in?? Would like to know what others are planting atm.
    We have corn, watermelon, pumpkin, rockmelon, tomatoes, onions, silverbeet, beetroot, capsicum, zhucchini, lettuce, cucumber, leeks, chives and other herbs. We also have an apricot tree, peach tree, fig tree, a red and a black passion fruit vine and a mulberry tree. We just started our native fruit orchard with a Midyim Berry bush. All are waiting paitently in pots to be taken home!!! (to the farm)
    I'm subscribing to diggers this week and putting an order in with eden seeds organic catalogue.
    I cant wait to get to the farm to put our heirloom seeds in and plant those fruit trees!!!
    Anyone in wanna come for a farm stay in country WA and help garden??? The more hands the better!!
    My next challenge is to design a chook pen using recycled materials that will last 5 years til I build a bigger one.... any ideas??