+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Talking Organic Living and Gardening/ Permaculture

I thought I might start this thread for those out there interested in gardening and keeping our earth healthy by avoiding chemicals!!!
    Please add any comments and suggestions or questions on this topic.
    Here are a few sites I found helpful in my initial research... Hope they help you too!!!

http://www.companionplanting.net/index.html
    http://www.greatdreams.com/garden.htm
    http://www.organicdownunder.com/site%20index.htm

If I dont reply for a little while its because our net limit has run out, but I'll be back on the 20th or 21st and WILL continue this thread!!!
    Happy Gardening...
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Enviro Friendly Products For The Home

Around the house...
    I've been using a brand called Earth Choice, they make a dish detergent that works really well on our grotty plates and cutlery, pots and pans.
    We use Earth Choice clothes liquid as well as another brand called Green Care (this one is a better value for size from Big W) for our clothes and both have stood the test. We havent even needed to use fabric conditioner wih either, which I've cut out of our usage anyway as it is extremely detremental to the environment.
    We discovered today that Earth Choice also make a floor and surface cleaner, we purchased some and I'll let you know how it goes. All of their products are environmentally friendly and safe for grey water systems and usage.
    In the bathroom we choose to use Pure Earth products for our baby and are looking into making our own organic soaps and hair washes, Pure Earth is a little pricey but lasts ages as a drop or two of each product is plenty to wash baby with and I think it is really worth the money to know I am avoiding chemicals and harmful substances around my little angel. My aunty uses the adult products from Pure Earth and recomends them.
    Our baby girl has sensitive skin but has no reactions to any of these products we use in our home.
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Also, could try the Diggers Club website, maybe. They stock a lot of heirloom seeds and plants. Most of their seeds germinate, too which is more than I can say for some of the ones widely sold in nurseries, etc!!

You don't have to be a member, but you can buy at a discount if you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Fellow Gardener!!!
    Welcome to the thread (just you and me atm)
    Diggers IS good for obtaining seeds, plants and such. Though they are a little pricey compared to a couple other seed catalogues, but it also comes down to reputation and diggers have a good one!!
    I didnt find their site overly useful myself for information on gardening, but they are a wonderful source of supplies. I'm looking into growing heirloom plants myself, Ive read they are great and would like to try the food that has been grown for hundreds of years without GM interference, I've heard they are a lot hardier than varieties grown in gardens today too!!
    A great source of various information is GRASS ROOTS, its a fantastic magazine that I have just subscribed to so I dont have to keep borrowing old ones from the library!!
    I have had other seed catalogues sent out such as green harvest and select organic, but havent had the chance to have a good look through them yet. You can request free catalogues from each ones websites to browse through.
    Unfortunately there are some seeds that can't be sent into WA as we have strict quarantine measures to stop contamination of plant diseases that we dont have getting in from the other states, which means sourcing out somewhere local for these seeds. If anyone in WA knows of a source of organic seeds in WA, please let me know!
    I am also looking to start a seed swapping network within WA in the next couple of years when my gardens are a little bigger and I have more to share, anyone in WA interested is welcome to contact me to discuss this idea further.
    Happy Gardening...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been meaning to start a thread about organic gardening as I am planning on starting my own organic vegie garden in the new year. Those links will help me a lot. I'm off to check them out now!

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A huge thank-you from me too! I will frequent this section too. Am off to check out those sites you linked to.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thankyou...... not me!!!

No.. Thankyou... for joining.
    It's great to know Im not the only hippy mum out there.
    As to starting this thread, it just takes the initiative to try. I thought no one would be interested but it is only worth a go, If not to reach other gardeners and organic livers but to plant a seed in the minds of others that will one day bloom and flourish... and how wrong was I??
    Permaculture is hard work yet so rewarding!!
    There's nothing better than going out into your chemical free garden and taking the time to stroll in the evening as you decide what to pick for tonights dinner. It even makes cooking even more enjoyable and eating a pleasure!!
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Books...

HI all....
    I hope you had a merry xmas!!!
    Did you get good pressies?? or spend time with good company??
    Hubby got me some books I had seen in Angus and Robertson and wished for...Thought I'd let you know as they're BRILLIANT for this topic.
    The first is a copy of a book I borrowed from the library yeas ago and got most of my companion planting research from, it is simply called 'Companion Planting in Australia' by Brenda Little.
    The next is 'A Slice of Organic Life' by Sheherazade Goldsmith, a great looking book written for homes with no backyards to smaller homestaeads or small holdings. It includes things such as growing food in pots, composting, ethical shopping, preserving your harvest to raisng/keeping chooks and even pigs. It even has some ideas relating to our kiddies!!
    Hope you have a look and enjoy, I know I'll be enjoying my new year break with a good book by the poolside!
    Happy new year and Happy Gardening...
    Tessa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Eden Seeds is pretty awesome for heirloom and organic seeds too!

They are mail order, website and often available in healthfood shops!

Love those funky tomatoes you can get in the heirloom varieties. I make yellow tomato sauce that really freaks people out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I have one of their catalogues somewhere too, I couldnt find it wen I was listin them the other day and couldnt remember the name. Thankyou for reminding me of them!!
    I remeber dad growing yellow pear tomatoes and would love to get my hands on some of those seeds one day!!
    Do you grow heirloom plants? What do you reccomend? What grows best in your area? Please tell us some more!
    Anyone with tips or who just grow or live organically, please tell us what you do or reccommend so we may all get some new ideas!!!
    Tessa