+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gestational Diabetes .... need info .... stressing

Hi, has anyone had experience with having a high blood glucose test. I have had the 50ml drink and now have to go for further testing. What are the implications if I do have diabetes. I am extremely worried about the health of my baby and don't want to be a "high risk" pregnancy as planning to birth naturally through midwives.

thanks for listening

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have heard often of the 2nd test coming back fine regardless of first results, so try not to worry just yet. Yours might be okay.

I had GD with DD but unfortunately was already "high risk" (due to age) but was still planning to natural birth with midwifes etc. (I ended up a c-sec as she was breech though.) I was never told it would change the outcome of how I wanted to birth just because I had GD. The only thing that would change was the monitoring of DD and myself after for sugar levels.
    It was easy controlled through diet and DD was just fine.
    Last edited by Tabby; 08-12-2007 at 22:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had GD with DS#1...

Try not to stress until you get your results back but if you DO have GD...

~Most GD is very well diet controlled
    ~Generally GD does not affect the health of bub if its controlled well
    ~Many women still get the care they requested (ie: midwife care) unless they become insulin dependant

There is heaps more we can talk about...

PM me IF your results show that you do have GD andf I can give you some diet tips and tell you more of my story....

Dont waste precious time stressing now when it could be nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had GDM with both my babies. we have a very strong family history of type 2 diabetes in my family. Both times i was diet controlled. Both times i went through the midwives at the local birth centre. I was 'allowed' to stay because i was under the criteria for having to transfer out. Both times i took my blood sugars / watched my diet and did lots of exercise - yoga , walking, water based etc.

had 2 wonderful vaginal birth exeriences - first 5 hours 7 pounds 10 ( 38 weeks). second 1.5 hours 9 pounds. (41 weeks).

I was diagnosed both times after the full glucose tolerance test.

It is good if you know because it enables you to watch what you eat during this pregnancy and also for long term health.

Pickles
    DD 02/03
    DS 03/05

Thanks
    Reviews
    with my 3rd baby i had the first test come back high and the 2nd test come back normal, just remember your not diagnosed yet and you may not be so try not to let it worry you. you will know for sure when you do the next test. hope it turns out okay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in the same boat Mooster. Have to have a second test done too! Can anyone tell me if I should watch my sugar intake in the meantime? I guess I have been a bit naughty over Christmas with the mince pies etc. Can this be a cause?

Anyway Mooster - how did you go with the second test? I've been told there's only a thirty per cent chance that I have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i had my first one done and recieved a letter in the mail with a referal to go for a second test as it was high, i was quite annoyed acutally any way i fasted for 12 hrs, had 3 blood tests in 2 hrs and well the results came back normal, they told me that the rate of the first one being high is common, could have been something you ate with high sugar anything, dont stress its quite likley it was just wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I was pregnant with Mason I had the first test come back as high and like you I was totally stressing and spent many nights in tears scared of what would happen. I had the 2nd test done and it was perfectly normal! I think maybe the first one was high because it was done the day after easter break and I had been eating chocolate all morning

Wishing you lots of luck regardless of the outcome of your further tests