+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, I'm going down town to meet DH to buy a Slow Cooker. DH usually does most of the cooking so I'm hoping that I will be able to do more when I get it.

I will have to try out some of the easier ones to start with. Dh's parents come home tomorrow from being away for 4 weeks so I might shock them and cook them dinner. I did say might.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a slow cooker from my kids for Mother's Day. It is a god send. My Dh is in the Navy and away most of the year so I have been using it heaps. I put it on in the morning so when it gets to the witching hour dinner is cooked and so all I have to do is bath the bubs and then serve dinner. YAY!! I love all the recipes you guys are posting. I will be trying them all.
    Sorry but i don't have any to share yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

To everyone who has contributed a recipe to this thread. I own a crockpot (It was my Grandma's) but never knew what to cook in it. I have copied down the recipes - I hope you all don't mind. I don't have any of my own yet but when I do, you will all be the first to know.

I am off to drag it out of the cupboard.

Joanne.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey, Katherine! How did you go with cooking the PIL dinner?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mummyto2, I didn't end up cooking them dinner. I haven't even had a chance to try out my Slow Cooker yet. DH bought me some chicken last night at the shop for me to cook something up but Tamara has been a nightmare today. She is finally on the floor having a little play but keeps crying. If I don't get to use it today I will have to make time tomorrow.

Now I just have to find something to cook with what I've got.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a Breville Avance Meal Maker in the Myer Sale, I'd been thinking of getting one for a while so it was a good bargain. I made Lamb Shanks on Sunday and it was yummo, couldn't believe how the meat just fell off the bones!

I've noted a few of your recipes and will be trying to use it at least once a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a slow cooker newbie but I made this recipe the other night and it turned out very nice (IMO anyway

It's from a french cookbook that I have which I cooked in the slow cooker for about 9-10 hours on low instead of a saucepan (which would have taken three hours anyway)

Burgundy beef stew

Ingredients:
    1.5 kg stewing beef ( I used gravy beef)
    175g lean salt pork or thick cut rindless streaky bacon (I used smoked speck - god I love that stuff
    3 Tbsp butter
    350g baby onions (I just used regular onions and quartered them)
    350 grams small button mushrooms
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 carrot, finely chopped
    3 garlic gloves, finely chopped
    3 tbsp plain flour
    3 tbsp cornflour mixed with water (I found I needed this to thicken it up using the slow cooker)
    750ml (one full bottle) of red wine, preferably bergundy (I used a Beaujolias, which is a little lighter then a true burgundy wine)
    1 1/2 tbsp tomato puree
    bouquet garni (3 stalks parsely, 1 stalk thyme, 1 bay leaf all tied together with a peice of string)
    3 cups beef stock
    1 tbsp fresh parsely
    salt and freshing ground pepper

Method:
    1. cut the beef into 5cm peices and dice the speck/salt pork or cut the bacon into thin strips
    2. Cook the pork or bacon over a medium heat until golden brown then remove with a slotted spoon and drain (once drained transfer to the slow cooker - after you have added the beef). Pour off all but 2 tbsp of the fat from the pan.
    3. Increase the heat to medium high and brown the beef - until all sides are well browned (but dont overcook them). Transfer the beef to the slow cooker (but don't turn it on yet)
    4. Melt 1/3 of the butter over a medium heat, add the baby onions and cook, stirring frequently, until evenly golden. Transfer to the slow cooker.
    5. In the same pan, melt half of the remaining butter over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sautee, stirring frequently until golden. Transfer to the slow cooker.
    6. Melt the remaining butter in the pan. Add the chopped onion, carrot and garlic and cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until just softened, stirring frequently. Sprinkle over the plain flour and cook for 2 minutes, then add the wine, tomato puree, and bouquet garni. Bring to the boil, scraping the base of the pan.
    7. Transfer everything from the pan into the slow cooker.
    8. Set the slow cooker to low and wait (for me it took about 9-10 hours - I was keen to get the meat really soft. I also read in my manual that for a dish that generally takes 3 hours simmering in a saucepan - which this particular dish does - that you can cook it for up to 12 hours)
    9. During the last hour add cornflour mixed with water to thicken it up if required.

edit: I found that leaving it overnight in the fridge prior to eating worked best. It helped turn it into a rich gravy sauce. Whereas during cooking it still had a very winey flavour and was a bit thinner.
    Last edited by San; 25-06-2006 at 02:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heres another one my friend gave me

Satay Beef or chicken

Satay sauce

1 tbls Olive Oil
    1 onion
    1 clove of garlic ( or 1 tablespoon crushed garlic if you are like me)
    1/4 teaspoon of Sambal Oelek (or chilli sauce to taste)
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1 tbls Soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1 tbls lemon juice

heat olive oil in pan, saut'e chopped onion & garlic then add sambal oelek, reduce heat and stir well
    Add water then Peanut butter, bring slowly to the boil, strirring until mix becomes smooth, stir in Soy, sugar and lemon juice.

In the Crock pot I put

3 large carrots cut into strips
    1/2 cup frozen corn kernals
    1 cup frozen brocolli
    1 cup cauli
    1/2 cup frozen beans
    1/2 to 1 kilo beef cut into strips ( I coated this in flour and browned it first)

Then I poured sauce over top and cooked for about 8 hrs on low

I made it last night for the first time and it was very yum kids enjoyed it too, I served it with rice and salad.

Now my friend who gave me the recipe, pre cooks nothing, not even sauce or onion, she just chucks it all in Crock Pot and never has any complaints, so the choice is yours

Good Luck

Blairsmummy is offline This mummy installed with 'Mummy Vision'
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any vegetarian recipes???

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of any vegetarian slowcooker recipes? We are strict vegetarians, so no flesh at all. Eggs and mik products ok.

I have one that is magnificent (will post later), but would like some more.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bring 'Em On!

I love this thread