+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Egg Donation in Spain

Has anyone thought about or researched donor eggs in Spain? I read about it in Marie Claire and the program at Institute Marques in Barcelona looks very professional. I sent them an email about costs and they sent me back something saying that the cost of an IVF cycle was about $13 000 Australian. I'm still waiting for them to confirm if this is the cost of a donor egg cycle or just regular IVF. The spanish program pays donors and guarantees that the identity of the donor can never be released. I have mixed feelings aboout this. Even though it's expensive, I like the idea of a very short wait (2-4 weeks) for a donor. I wonder how a child will feel knowing that we could have given them the opportunity to find their genetic mother (through known donor in Aus)? I'd really love to hear from other women who have thought about the international option, especially anyone who has had first-hand experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Chelle,

Hope someone can give you some information...I'm on the donor side of things, and must admit that the OS options on anon donation really bother me. I have read far too much information and seen far too many interviews with those people who were created through the use of donor sperm where there were either no records kept, or the records have been destroyed. These people feel disconnected and a real sense of a loss of their identity - they don't know where they cam from and have not a lot of hope of really ever finding out. To get an idea of things from their perspective, google for anonymous donation blogs and have a read.

To be honest - it's also one of the most expensive options. On top of the $13k for the treatment cycle (which will carry no guarantees, just like a cycle here), you also have flights, accommodation, insurance etc to pay for, which could easily add up to another $8-10K.

I notice that you have signed up at AED as well - I want to tell you that between here and AED I have never seen a recipient who needed a donor not get one. Sure, it has taken a few potential recipients a little longer to find a donor, but for others it has taken no time at all. Donors in Australia aren't really impossible to find - once you know where to look.

Anyway - hoping someone can help you with the info you are looking for about the OS stuff...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a current member of AED, I think I can tell you honestly that things have changed over the last few years - as has the culture of thought. 99% of receipients have read the same blogs I have, have read the same research and have independently come to the same beliefs that I have - that known donation in some form is of far more benefit to the *child* later in their life.

Every donor I know is only interested in saving recipients money, knowing that IVF is not cheap - and if that means encouraging them to cycle in Australia, then I see that as a testament to the unselfish hearts of those donors.

I realise that some people's ED experience was not fantastic, but I have to be honest and say that the ways things are done now (through clinics all across Australia - as there are AED members who are cycling through nearly every clinic in Australia) are quite different to what was previously experienced.

Chelle - if you choose to use an overseas anonymous donation program, please thoroughly do your research before going ahead. Especially the research about how the now-adults feel about their anonymous beginnings. Those sentiments won't change, the feelings of a loss of identity won't change. And no matter what you decide, I am sure that the members here at Bubhub (and those at AED) will offer you their full support. There is also quite a few threads at AED about OS donation, so it might be worth having a read.
    Last edited by xkwzit; 30-11-2007 at 21:44. Reason: personal remarks removed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Changing culture in egg donation would be a very interesting topic to discuss, but it deserves it's own thread. The OP has asked a specific question, so let's keep this thread on topic for her. Thanks for all the contributions, it is important to hear about all aspects relating to this issue.

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    I agree that it would be selfish of me to look for an anonymous donor before searching in Australia. I'm 2 days off my next pregnancy test and I'm tired of all the uncertainty. My Mum said to me "you have to keep positive - you might be doing this for 5 more years". I'm at the point where I want a baby much more than I want my own genetic child. I had the thought that I'd do 3 more fully stimulated IVF cycles (we never have any for freezing), then try donor eggs. The thought of the search for a donor and the possibility of not being chosen seems very painful. The thought of a guaranteed donor was giving me the illusion of some control. I'm still trying to convince my DH that we need to be on the international adoption register. Being a mother will mean putting my child's feelings before my own, so I suppose that's what I need to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chelle no one was meaning that you weren't putting your future child first at all hon.. I understand that you want to be a Mum more than anything.. and we are here to support you and whatever it takes for that to be achieved.. Its a tough journey.. Yell out if you have any more questions because it is good to get ideas from people who have been there as individual as all of our journeys are..
    I was lucky to find my good friend Roxy on AED and i have a one year old daughter now who I love to pieces.. So I can't help you on the overseas programs.. But no one thinks you want anything but the best for any child that comes into your life..Hang in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had my blood test this morning. Now just waiting. I'm so nervous even though I don't have much hope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BFP. I still can't believe it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Chellesbaby

Congratulations to you and DH on your BFP.
    What a fantastic Christmas pressie!!

:biggrin:You won't be needing to worry about egg donation in Australia or overseas.:biggrin:

Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Take care Diana xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    congratulations