+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question ds getting tonsilitis constantly - what are others experiences with it?

Hi

Just wanting some advice/opinions...

DS (12 months) has been diagnosed with tonsilitis 5 times (4 as one was misdiagnosed as i had had enough and took him to a new BRILLIANT dr for a 2nd opinion who i have decided we will be regularly going to)....in about 6 weeks.

so he was diagnosed again by this new dr on tuesday....he has given us penicillin this time as Amoxil isn't obviously working...

we haven't had much of a break with it really... a few days here and there once we finish antibiotics and then it seems to come back...so the penicillin works.

he is restless with his sleeping, not eating much today (previous few days he has been fine). He gets really upset and cries and cries....i try to comfort him and it doesn't work...he woke about 20 minutes ago and eventually he settled with cuddles and he took some water too...then he layed in his rocker and just now has hopped out of it...my poor little boy has been thru the spinner this past 6 weeks...

what is other peoples experiences with tonsilitis....seems that DS has had a lot of bouts over such a short period....he also has glue ear too which doesn't help...

anyway just needed to get it out and see some opinions on others children who have had it quite regularly.

I am tired, as he isn't sleeping great and just feel blah...sorry for the vent.

he is now sitting looking at books

Thanks
    Reviews
    In between the ages of 15 to 19 I got tonsilitis regulary. I had it atleast once a month.

I always got a really bad headache first and learnt to read the signs. I always knew I would wake up the next day with tonsilitis.

I saw every GP in my town (that is not an exageration) and it wasn't until I was 19 that I finally managed to convince a Doctor That i needed them taken out.

I couldn't put on weight due to me constantly getting sick. I ate like a horse but still looked stick thin ( before I got my tonsils out the heaviest I weighed was 43kg.....TINY!!!)

(They don't like doing that these days).

I hate to say this but I think if your DS is suffering so bad you need to convince some one to take them out.

I have had them out now for 4 years and have only fallen sick twice in that time. I have gained weight and have never felt healthier.

It turned out that I had pitted tonsils which actually holds the infection in. It may appear that I got better but I never got rid of the infection. It was always there and that's why I kept getting tonsilitis. Maybe this is what your DS has???

Good luck and keep me posted.
    Last edited by hailsntwang; 29-11-2007 at 15:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the dr i am now taking him to, my SIL also takes her boys to and her 3.5 year old just had his removed via laser surgery so i don't think i'll need to convince my dr...but how long do i let it go on for? you know what i mean....dp gets it, it runs in his side of the family.

will c how the penicillin works.... it works!

Leeny is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    I HATE YOU JENNNNIFFFEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD has reoccuring tonsilitis. Shes had it 6 or 7 times in the last couple of months. She spikes a temp up to 41 or 42, and is just a mess in general. Did your new dr say how bad he was? Were his tonsils just inflamed? Dd's ended up being all pussie.. If it keeps happening, I guess we'll follow it up and see what happens, espically because we cant ever get any medicine down her neck, so we always have ot just wait for it to go away.

Did your dr say if it was viral tonsilitis?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leeny - Keanu is the same, he spikes temps...he has had a temp since monday....it has steadied at around 38/39...when it gets to the 40s it isn't nice and that is one first key indicator for us!!! And apprently another big one is drool...we didn't know this but DS was drooling excessively (big patches in bed and dr said this is a really good sign)...

I think he said Bacterial...(streptococcus bacteria) I am not 100% sure, the first dr i was taking him to i think said it could be either..i am not 100% sure as i said. why do you ask tho??

punkbaby is offline Got it back :D
    Winner 2007 The most helpful member award & The member
    youd most like to meet in real life award & The newbie of the year award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Blaze is the same gets a high temp then pussy tonsils at least once evey 6 weeks. W knownow when he gets a temp his due for another episode. The doctor hasnt mentioned getting his out but i imagine when he starts school, if it still happens and its affecting his schooling we will most likely ask to get them removed. I had mine out at 2 i still remember it although i am sure its alot better now days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by punkbaby View Post
    Blaze is the same gets a high temp then pussy tonsils at least once evey 6 weeks. W knownow when he gets a temp his due for another episode. The doctor hasnt mentioned getting his out but i imagine when he starts school, if it still happens and its affecting his schooling we will most likely ask to get them removed. I had mine out at 2 i still remember it although i am sure its alot better now days
    My nephew was out the same day as they did laser...no bleeding at all...was eating at DS first birthday party two days later...i think laser is a lot easier on the little mites!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't let it go on for to long though.

If it's not necessary try and speak to the DR about getting them out.

I was off work for 5 weeks when I got mine out. All I could eat was baby food!! Apparently the younger you are the earlier you recover.

It's worth investigating.

Queen is offline 2008 AWARD WINNER � Most bizarre thread award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD has only had it once *touch wood* but here are some things that can help him

When on anti-biotics try giving him Inner Health for kids, just a powder you add to their drinks that can help build up their immunity.
    Also drinking pineapple juice (although it stings a little) can also help kill the infection..Tomatoes are good too

Good luck

punkbaby is offline Got it back :D
    Winner 2007 The most helpful member award & The member
    youd most like to meet in real life award & The newbie of the year award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    we are trying to not do to much with him medically unless really necessary as his over it with everything his been through in the last 18 months but sounds like laser is alot better recovery wise. I wonder how long you have to wait though through public